Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Anyone on here actually prefer mild winters over cold winters?

What is your ideal winter weather?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite weather conditions in winter?

• Cold and Dry
    • Cold and Snowy ⛄️
    • Mild and Stormy ☔️ 💨
    • Mild and Dry 🌤️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

So I know the majority of weather enthusiasts prefer cold winters over mild. When I was a kid I loved cold and snowy weather but for the last few years I prefer mild winters. I still like walking in deep snow but I prefer mild weather in winter now, even though it’s often raining with it. The last few days it’s been dry and sunny but very cold, with temperatures only rising to 2 or 3C during the day and dropping well below freezing at night. It’s currently -4C outside right now with crystal clear skies, but I think I’d rather it was 10C with cloud and drizzle.

In fact I really dislike temperatures below 10C, I just feel no desire to go outdoors when it’s in single digits and especially not when it’s below zero. 🥶 Not a huge fan of the heat either, although I had a weeks holiday in the Cotswolds in early September and it was in the high 20’s and low 30’s, and although it was very hot, I still enjoyed it and would much rather have that than rain or the weather we are having now. Im not sure how anyone can prefer this current freezing weather over what we had in summer, I’d take 17C and cloud over 0C and sunny any day.

Yes mild winters are boring but at least it feels more comfortable and I just really don’t like winter anymore, it’s just dark, cold and depressing. I’m much more of a mild/warm weather guy. Both 0 and 30C are uncomfortable for me, I like it best somewhere in the middle around 12 - 20°C.

My favourite winter month was February 2019, with many days sunny and 13-17°C. Yes it was unseasonably warm, but I enjoyed it. December 2015 was also exceptionally mild, although it also was extremely wet in my area with really bad flooding.

Tbh, I wouldn’t mind another winter like 2016-17, lots of quiet benign weather around 5-9°C. 

I just want to get winter over with. Spring can’t come soon enough! 😃🌸

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Cold crisp bright winters all the way ,hate damp 10 c days or as I say living in the land of 10 de greys 

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

me ...Mild and dry please and thank you :snowman-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not surprised living in Canada lol

i like mine cold-hearted and brutal, as for winters, I no longer care😜

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

I have a friend in Canada wonder if cheesy monkey knows him 👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Cold and snowy, failing that, mild and stormy!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

would agree with that in Canada, where snow is like our rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

It's actually a really tough one and I cannot vote for a single option.  

I do yearn for cold and snow and love to see it fall and settle, but when we get it, the novelty only lasts a few days and then I want it gone.  Especially if it starts going all slushy, or totally freezing over.

As a weather enthusiast, I do like heavy rain and gale force winds in the winter.  In fact I'd prefer that to mild, dry and cloudy.  Give me a 89/90 or a 13/14 repeat over, say 16/17 or 21/22 any day (I'd happily take a Eunice repeat though)

That said, I found February 2019, and February 1998s warm spells amazing.

I think I just prefer to see actual weather happening.

I am also a keen runner, and mild cloudy dry weather is the ideal weather to run in in the winter.

Maybe I just see the good in everything too much and need to form an opinion!  But honestly, I can appreciate all types of conditions to some degree.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

A straightforward answer…..NOPE 🤭 colder and Snowier the better 🥶😎

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Eh ! Naw 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

If not cold and snow i will take second best,...cold and dry

who want's grotty wind and rain in winter though i suppose mild and dry would be my third option

so for me

1,cold and snow

2,cold any dry

3,mild and dry

and forth,...not going to mention it again ha ha.

• Like 2

Posted

Mild and wet has to be the worst type of winter weather. It's the same rubbish we can get at any time of the year. I prefer colder winters but can live with mild if its also dry and sunny. The same with snow, I can live without it if its cold and sunny.

My ideal winter is cold or average but dry with plenty of sunshine. It doesn't have to be a snowfest but a decent event in each winter month like 2003/04 would do me fine.

Basically anything but mild, wet and windy. We've just had weeks of that. It doesn't even save on the heating bills as its so damp. It just makes the dark part of the year even more grim.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Mild winters don't bother me in the slightest -- some winters are cold and snowy, some are not. It's the weather, innit?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

In order of preference for me:

1) cold and snowy

2) cold or mild and dry

3) mild and wet

4) cold and wet

1) if it’s cold, it may as well snow imo 

2) I don’t mind whether it’s cold or mild, emphasis is on dryness and whichever outcome is sunniest

3) literally no point in mild and wet

4) I rank this worse only because it often comes from wasted or ‘close but no cigar’ synoptics; does sometimes turn out sunnier though

• Like 4

Posted

Snow and cold by far and away the best to have. Mild and unsettled is absolutely horrific, especially if Spring is poor as well, then you've essentially had a 9 month block of monotonous miserable rubbish. The other 2 I can understand.

• Like 1

Posted

The older I get the more I prefer milder weather. Of course i still love snow, it's just the cold i hate! I like stormy weather too, nothing quite like lying in bed on a winters night and hearing the wind roariing outside while the rain smashes against the window!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I keep hearing people say that the older they get, the more they lose interest in cold and snow and favour milder conditions. I am the exact opposite. Up until around 10 years ago I hated the cold and wanted it out of the way as soon as possible. But the older I get, the more I appreciate it (at the right time of the year). I love how the air feels nice and fresh on those calm and crisp sunny days. I also love watching snowflakes gracefully fall to the ground. Snow makes the landscape all bright and cheery in an otherwise dreary season when everything is dead. I do agree with SummerShower though that snow does lose its novelty after a few days and isn't the same once it has turned into slush.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted

I like a bit of everything to be honest!

I like the thrill of the chase when it comes to snow, and cold and frosty mornings. 

However I have hobbies that involve being outdoors and as such I don't mind mild spells during the winter. 

Also, as our bedroom is in a loft conversion I do like listening to the rain on the roof during the night. 

I think the only weather I dislike is damp, dark and grey - thoroughly miserable.

In response to @Weather Enthusiast91's post, I do sometimes find that as I get older that I like the cold less, particularly as I get Raynauds, and don't like spending money on heating (tight Yorkshireman).

In conclusion though, my greatest weather memories are the big snow events, and I'd like to see another Feb '91 before too long.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm on the fence, because I just like interesting weather. Snow, wind, thunderstorms, etc.

So, I'm fine with cold, but only if we get some snow out of it. If it's not going to snow, then I'll take mild and stormy. If I can't have either, then I suppose mild and dry so I can save on the gas bill.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I would be happy with a mild, dry winter. Or a cold, snowy winter. Or a cold, dry winter.

Anything but rainy and stormy. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I don't mind cold and clear like we have had this week. Rain bands are less welcome but tolerated as long as it's shortlived, i.e a classic Atlantic driven weather - cloud and rain followed quickly by sunshine.

What I struggle with is our stuck weather patterns, especially when we get stuck under a succession of rotating low pressure systems that seem to last for weeks, with no glimpse of the sun.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Anything but extended periods of grey, wet and windy, which the UK gets in abundance. Cold and snow is fun, I quite like mild and sunny at times. Cold and sunny is nice, too. The more winter sunshine, the better

• Like 4