Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
1 minute ago, toggerob said:

Happy 2024 y'all, may it be full of snow, thunderstorms, volcanoes, what-ever meteorologic & geologic process takes your fancy. I'm now sobering up and aiming for another 1000 days of sobriety over the next 3 years with travel & photography being the main expenses eating out of the savings made from abstinence. 

The weather looked dire to have headed up to Werneth Low in the end, but i'm hoping to see my first clear sunrise of the year sometime over the next few days.

Hopefully not full of war ,have a good one 🙂

• Like 7

Posted

image.thumb.png.99ee594ace357041b4ce15ce36ac3244.png

ECM 0z ensembles.   

Look at the lack of precipitation spikes, next week.   Disappointing for snow (not sure if they would show up on these charts)  but good news for dry weather. 

The last 6 months have been as wet as the second half of 2000.  One thing to note is that in 2000, the rain was more concentrated from mid September onwards. In 2023, it has been from the start of July.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Morning all

7ºC and windy but dry for a change

• Like 4

Posted

Happy New Year to all 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Happy new year everyone. Can’t believe the sun is out this morning. Maybe my memory isn’t great but I genuinely can’t remember the last time I saw the sun. Shame it’s only for a few hours between fronts today, but I’ll take it!

Cold & sunny weather on the horizon. Seems to be all we can achieve nowadays. Seem to remember a cold, sunny spell was the best that last winter had to offer too. But it’ll be very welcome. Some harsh frosts to come. Maybe we can get the snow in the second half of Jan. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Happy New Year Guys & Girls.

All the Best for 2024.

I have a feeling we will all being seeing some of this a some point during Jan (second half).

SnowE2010.thumb.png.3702d37a16f04d367aa2085cd30ad798.png

Local Park 2010.

• Like 6

Posted

Happy  New Year fellow sodden N'Westerners.   Hoping the sun shines brightly. ☀️

Picked up 15.3 mm at 9GMT this morning,  the end of the 2023 rain year.

So Dec = 300.1 mm.      2023 = 1946.1 mm.

Therefore 2023 got 4th place in the last 54 yrs.    

Beaten by 2000 with 1947.4 mm.

(if only there had been another little shower ...)

No hope of catching 2012 at 2nd place with 1984.0 mm nor first place 2020 with 2009.6 mm. 

Note - these large annual totals over 1900 mm  have all come 2000 onwards.  Seriously affecting the countryside, farming, buildings and roads  -- and people.

A "dry" 2024  would be most welcome.  🙂

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Happy New Year!! It is a showery, blustery start to new year here. 

Edited by pip22
  • Like 5

Posted

No rain this year 👍😂

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

HNY to all fellow North Westerners!!

I'd actually just like some dry, still & usable weather......anything else is a bonus. If that is cold and frost then good. A proper snowfall has become a rarity in my locality (normally just a dusting).

• Like 5

Posted

Happy New Year. A lovely morning, just right for a walk in the local park. Hopefully the promised rain will stay away until I'm back from watching Crewe v Bradford City this afternoon. C'mon the Alex! Yellow weather warning for rain in place for tonight and most of tomorrow, so back to gloom and doom for a few days yet before the high pressure finally moves in.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Happy new year to you all

Thankfully we are going to loose the onslaught from the Atlantic come weekend.to be replaced with a UK High pressure which will bring frosty nights and sparkling winter sunshine,feeling cold at the surface despite the sunshine,then all eyes on to the models to see were the HP ends up,hopefully to our west or North west setting up a cold N to NE flow,that’s for the future,looking forward to drying out a bit and at least seeing some frost and sunshine.

• Like 7

Posted

Went to Blackpool yesterday for the fireworks at 6pm the weather was awful,stormy sea,fresh air did us good Happy new year all  

IMG-20240101-WA0000.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
3 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Happy New Year Guys & Girls.

All the Best for 2024.

I have a feeling we will all being seeing some of this a some point during Jan (second half).

SnowE2010.thumb.png.3702d37a16f04d367aa2085cd30ad798.png

Local Park 2010.

I note you refrained from saying which January.  It will be right eventually. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
29 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I note you refrained from saying which January.  It will be right eventually. 

Hard to tell whether you're joking or not.

Considering it would only be my second prediction of the Winter, if it was correct then 1 from 2 ain't bad.

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

No rain this year 👍😂

Look behind you -- almost here again.   Been a lovely sunny morning though.

• Like 5

Posted

Just a quick reminder "The Big Snow of '47" Channel 5 @9pm tonight should be worth a watch. 

Just been speaking to my parents about it. They're both in their mid 80's and can still remember walking to junior school through narrow paths cut into the banks of snow unable to see over the top of the drifts. With them both living in central Manchester - Crumpsall & Harpurhey, difficult to imagine what it must have been like. In comparison, their recollection of the winter of 62/63 is nowhere near as severe. 

Can't help wondering if such an event is even possible nowadays. Although winters overall are warmer the frequency of 1 in 100 year events does seem to be increasing. Ultimately a freak event is a freak event - possibly the odds of a repeat haven't significantly changed?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Worth a watch though I would guess most of us where eggs then 😂

• Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Well the other thread is entertaining 

I had a post deleted yesterday because I quoted the Meto(slap wrist)and a PM from the mods

now this afternoon we have a member who cannot stop farting,a member who is watching from behind the sofa,a member wishing someone good luck in a new job all of topic and not deleted.

I think in law it called discrimination.

I have had my doubts.  I pulled them up a year or two back that people's posts have been deleted for being off topic and yet they deemed a post about the timing of daffodils appearing was worthy of  being put in the model highlights thread?!?

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 5

Posted

Been pleasant today, blue sky, sunshine, max of 7.4°C.  Not so good currently a bit damp, rain affecting alot of the region.  1st Jan 2022 had really mild temps here, max 14.5°C then on 4th of Jan, I woke to a thin layer of snow.  Looking forward to more colder temps.

Edited by Rush2019
Corrected info.
  • Like 7

Posted

The weather turned a little more favourable this morning so I was freshened up after some kip and out the door at 8am for 5 hours 'casually' walking around both sides of Ladybower Res starting from Fairholmes, passing Mam Tor at 7:30am made me glad I didn't choose that option as the car park & verges were completely choc-a-bloc with the secondary option of the Plugholes proving more beneficial as I only saw a handful of people there for the sunrise.

Not a bad day overall despite the ever-increasing crowds around Ladybower & Derwent by the afternoon.

140.thumb.jpg.fc0248450a45ebcea09a3cdb0e98d3e3.jpg144.thumb.jpg.d0d48f91336ae6f16b381c9ed230bfee.jpg143.thumb.jpg.52198af25a5b07f9f048223e82c2cb40.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Well the other thread is entertaining 

I had a post deleted yesterday because I quoted the Meto(slap wrist)and a PM from the mods

now this afternoon we have a member who cannot stop farting,a member who is watching from behind the sofa,a member wishing someone good luck in a new job all of topic and not deleted.

I think in law it called discrimination.

I drop in daily on there, a bit more at times of interest but don't bother posting on the MOD thread - plenty of knowledge and insight luckily on the NW regional thread when needed. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 8

Posted
21 minutes ago, toggerob said:

The weather turned a little more favourable this morning so I was freshened up after some kip and out the door at 8am for 5 hours 'casually' walking around both sides of Ladybower Res starting from Fairholmes, passing Mam Tor at 7:30am made me glad I didn't choose that option as the car park & verges were completely choc-a-bloc with the secondary option of the Plugholes proving more beneficial as I only saw a handful of people there for the sunrise.

Not a bad day overall despite the ever-increasing crowds around Ladybower & Derwent by the afternoon.

140.thumb.jpg.fc0248450a45ebcea09a3cdb0e98d3e3.jpg144.thumb.jpg.d0d48f91336ae6f16b381c9ed230bfee.jpg143.thumb.jpg.52198af25a5b07f9f048223e82c2cb40.jpg

Nice pics.  I see you caught the plugholes on overflow, not witnessed it myself, I believe the noise is quite deafening.  Macc Forest and Alderley Edge I imagine would have been heaving today too, such a perfect walking day.

• Like 4