Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Foggy start down to 0c overnight with a slight frost that’s more like it - last cold snap/ spell in late Nov/ early Dec began with fog & frost and a week later we had a covering of snow. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Lovely skies here now. It needs to be cold for my BMW to freeze with it being right up to the garage and by the house. The wife's Jazz is a block of ice further down the drive...

Mists picking up here now too

IMG_0855.thumb.jpeg.bf659af741805167fe6f6a2eb6b72632.jpeg

IMG_0856.thumb.jpeg.93f75f7766cccee42c5accf8ea412508.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Foggy start down to 0c overnight with a slight frost that’s more like it - last cold snap/ spell in late Nov/ early Dec began with fog & frost and a week later we had a covering of snow. 

Morning mate, sore head lol.

Second half of the GFS looks pretty unstable and snowy this morning, I'm rooting for that evolution.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Some mist early on here, but has now cleared and we now have overcast skies, very still with no wind.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

Ground mist clearing in the marginals now +0.5 was -0.5 earlier. Has the potential to be a lovely day. Model thread still loopy- a cool week with the potential to go colder in a week or so is my take. Looks like there might be some Atlantic air sneaking round the top of the high Thurs/Fri making things a little milder. Without wanting to turn this into an alternative model thread is this what you guys are seeing? (but basically I would take not raining!)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Glorious day nice 80 minute walk with dogs everywhere white and frispy 10 out of 10 👍

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
28 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Latest GFS run is so cold, amazing run.

gfsnh-1-234.thumb.png.7372ffc26e9e43361e3f213c3acff465.png

Stunning outlook. Would be interested to hear @Cheshire Freeze @damianslaw & @Kasim Awan’s view on potential for severe cold & snow from a NW England perspective into mid month. You’ve got the technical knowledge I wish I had! 😄 + I think some of you also signalled a potential blocked pattern pre winter too. Are we primed for a 09/10/ Jan 2013 redux that we can count down to  or is it merely fantasy chart viewing at the moment? ⛄🥶❄️ 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters
12 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Stunning outlook. Would be interested to hear @Cheshire Freeze @damianslaw & @Kasim Awan’s view on potential for severe cold & snow from a NW England perspective into mid month. You’ve got the technical knowledge I wish I had! 😄 + I think some of you also signalled a potential blocked pattern pre winter too. Are we primed for a 09/10/ Jan 2013 redux that we can count down to  or is it merely fantasy chart viewing at the moment? ⛄🥶❄️ 

That's kind of what iIm wondering Joe (although I'm hoping more early- mid 80's!). The way weather patterns appear to work these days I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't switch very quickly from full Atlantic train to long term blocking with a slowly wandering High Pressure. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
5 hours ago, severe snowstorm said:

Jan 2010 was certainly amazing. I was in Stalybridge at the time, exact same altitude as you mention above funnily enough. I measured 10 inches of snow and we also had a couple of three inch falls in Dec 09 and then 8 inches of snow from the East in Nov 2010. It was an amazing period for snow.

The above is still nowhere nowhere December 1990 and February 1991 which were the best falls I have seen in my lifetime at low level. I was in the Midlands at the time. I don't have any measurements, but easily one to two foot of snow at least each time, possibly more, it was very deep. 

Yeah in 2010 I was up past Tameside hospital going towards Mossley. The amount of times we had snow cover there at 165m and zilch in Ashton town centre 110m I lost count. Often a different world once you get above about 140m.

• Like 4

Posted

Haven't seen a day this sunny since 3 weeks ago today, that Saturday of the 16th December when the forecasts got the cloud amounts wrong and it was far sunnier.  Terms of lack cloud, have to go back to 1st December going off my timelapses.

• Like 6

Posted

Best day in a long long time... sunny, blue skies, frost still clinging on in sheltered spots. Current temp nudging 4 degrees. A run of frosty nights on the way, the main bonus of the upcoming spell is the extra lingering light we will see in the later afternoon, those dark gloomy days with little light really did pervade for too long this year.. 

Shame the fells have barely any snow, winter walking conditions next few days are excellent.. 

• Like 8

Posted

Mist came and went quite quickly and a really nice day now, if a bit on the chilly side despite the sun. I think tonight is going to be cold if the clear skies persist.

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Thunder Snow said:

Could stay below 0 here today, frost and fog 😀

As I said Cumbria often the cold pole in these synoptics, especially NE and E Cumbria including Carlisle. Eden Valley prime cold frost fog spot. 

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

As I said Cumbria often the cold pole in these synoptics, especially NE and E Cumbria including Carlisle. Eden Valley prime cold frost fog spot. 

Yep fog and frost still going strong

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Just seen a bee flying about, abnormal for 6 Jan, and a fly... 

Same herein Failsworth.  I'm at my parents house. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

Yeah in 2010 I was up past Tameside hospital going towards Mossley. The amount of times we had snow cover there at 165m and zilch in Ashton town centre 110m I lost count. Often a different world once you get above about 140m.

I know where you mean, I was the other side of the hospital, up on Ridge Hill. Amazing the difference just a few metres makes to rain vs snow and the depth of snow. Also get some urban heat island effect in the town centre as well meaning shorter lived and less snow accumulation.

• Like 5

Posted
55 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Best day in a long long time... sunny, blue skies, frost still clinging on in sheltered spots. Current temp nudging 4 degrees. A run of frosty nights on the way, the main bonus of the upcoming spell is the extra lingering light we will see in the later afternoon, those dark gloomy days with little light really did pervade for too long this year.. 

Shame the fells have barely any snow, winter walking conditions next few days are excellent.. 

I've got a walking weekend lined up in the Lakes in Feb, so hoping for some decent snow accumulation between now and then to allow for some decent winter walking. Looking good for this at altitude at least in the extended outlook with temps remaining average or below. 

• Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

I know where you mean, I was the other side of the hospital, up on Ridge Hill. Amazing the difference just a few metres makes to rain vs snow and the depth of snow. Also get some urban heat island effect in the town centre as well meaning shorter lived and less snow accumulation.

Do you mean Dec 10?? Jan 10 we all got snow from memory. On 18 Dec 10 think the snow came off Irish Sea but fizzled out as it approached pennines. Don't think altitude was an issue

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
41 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Wasp at the darts! Scott Williams fending it off, 30th Dec, maybe 1 Jan

• Like 5

Posted
51 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

After your start to December, anything else snow wise a bonus!!!

• Like 6