Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in Winter / Thunderstorms + Heat in Summer

This morning's ECM and now the 12z GFS have trended Wednesday's low back northwards today, another 50-100miles further North and we would be back in the game.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Screenshot_20240112_171139_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.de8724c2a932be0c768bbbea7a511245.jpgScreenshot_20240112_171154_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.104237738e1ebe6aeaef0ee0eeaaabc3.jpgThis is the meto take on things, the most likely scenario is the low further south with snow affecting the very south of England. Also said enough snow to disrupt but not copious amounts. The second scenario was further north and then most of south wales would be in the game, he also mentioned more disruptive snowfall if that was the case 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Edited by freeze for all
Picture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Still blood y confusion maybe snow from the south,But more promising it showers moving down Sunday Monday possible streamer setting up ,as previously shown on fax chart ,figures cross for a Pembroke DANGLER  .Cold North wind setting up.

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, freeze for all said:

Screenshot_20240112_171139_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.de8724c2a932be0c768bbbea7a511245.jpgScreenshot_20240112_171154_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.104237738e1ebe6aeaef0ee0eeaaabc3.jpgThis is the meto take on things, the most likely scenario is the low further south with snow affecting the very south of England. Also said enough snow to disrupt but not copious amounts. The second scenario was further north and then most of south wales would be in the game, he also mentioned more disruptive snowfall if that was the case 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

That was a few days ago don’t mislead people that’s not the current prognosis 

Just now, WINTRY WALES said:

Sorry my mistake it looks like it is from today 🤣 don’t know where they are getting that from all models showing the low going through france

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I can tell why people are not happy in the mad thread, it looks likely now that the low will push into france and skirt the far south of the uk next week, thereafter it does at this stage, look likely that winds will turn more southerly by next weekend in the south but this is changing every hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
12 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Sorry my mistake it looks like it is from today 🤣 don’t know where they are getting that from all models showing the low going through france

Wut?  Just been on YouTube Met  and it’s the same and dated today, so could @WINTRY WALES explain please?  

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Wut?  Just been on YouTube Met  and it’s the same and dated today, so could @WINTRY WALES explain please?  

I apologised…..thought it was old news! My mistake….fingers crossed guys

Posted
3 minutes ago, snefnug said:

It is today,it shows shower activity moving south so more organised snow showers Sunday Monday morning. IF front from the South can get further north, interact with showers from the North we could see increased snow.Intesting radar watching ahead! Enjoy.          Wintry Wales they have computers information which we haven't got access to plus the most important experience.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
35 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

It looks like it's from today because it is from today

Posted
32 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

I can tell why people are not happy in the mad thread, it looks likely now that the low will push into france and skirt the far south of the uk next week, thereafter it does at this stage, look likely that winds will turn more southerly by next weekend in the south but this is changing every hour

With strat warming nobody knows what happening let's concentrate in what's happening the next 3 to5 days. Let's see if we can get some snow!

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

The low pressure from the south west does look unlikely now in to affect Wales (disruptively anyway). The MetO have it most likely affecting far southern England in their video with the more northern track affecting Wales less likely. Since the video earlier the model output bar GFS, has also trended it further south but time for it to change.

I do understand the frustration about the models looking mainly dry for inland areas. However, it looks like a really decent dangler setting up Monday.

A direct northerly at first so likely affecting Pembrokeshire / West Carmarthenshire Monday daytime. Monday morning will likely be sleet / wintry showers on low ground but the arctic air arrives for the afternoon and evening. UKV shows the showers turning to snow by around 3pm Monday.

Later Monday into Tuesday it turns more North Westerly, liking changing the line of showers and bringing a streamer overnight through parts of Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire down into the Swansea area instead. The north westerly bringing frequent heavy showers for north Wales too on the UKV overnight Monday.

Dangler Mon Aft - snow showers Pembrokeshire / Carmarthenshire

IMG_6699.thumb.png.486db3a4e017884f5c01556069be1abd.png

Monday Night - snow showers more widespread as winds go more NW

IMG_6700.thumb.png.d85e9b736650dec17f3974cbb15f8c6b.png

I think we’ll have more chances later in the week too, but the models are changing so much, so probably best to revisit end of the week in a few days 👍

• Thanks 3

Posted
1 minute ago, bradymk said:

The low pressure from the south west does look unlikely now in to affect Wales (disruptively anyway). The MetO have it most likely affecting far southern England in their video with the more northern track affecting Wales less likely. Since the video earlier the model output bar GFS, has also trended it further south but time for it to change.

I do understand the frustration about the models looking mainly dry for inland areas. However, it looks like a really decent dangler setting up Monday.

A direct northerly at first so likely affecting Pembrokeshire / West Carmarthenshire Monday daytime. Monday morning will likely be sleet / wintry showers on low ground but the arctic air arrives for the afternoon and evening. UKV shows the showers turning to snow by around 3pm Monday.

Later Monday into Tuesday it turns more North Westerly, liking changing the line of showers and bringing a streamer overnight through parts of Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire down into the Swansea area instead. The north westerly bringing frequent heavy showers for north Wales too on the UKV overnight Monday.

Dangler Mon Aft - snow showers Pembrokeshire / Carmarthenshire

IMG_6699.thumb.png.486db3a4e017884f5c01556069be1abd.png

Monday Night - snow showers more widespread as winds go more NW

IMG_6700.thumb.png.d85e9b736650dec17f3974cbb15f8c6b.png

I think we’ll have more chances later in the week too, but the models are changing so much, so probably best to revisit end of the week in a few days 👍

Yes we could get widespread covering in Wales.

Screenshot_20240112_211832_Chrome.jpg

Posted
Just now, keithlucky said:

Agree. MetOffice have up to 2cm Monday for North & West Wales, 5cm higher ground.

I imagine a yellow snow & ice warning will go out over the weekend for Monday for West and North Wales from the showers (if current output stays the same). Mon night into Tuesday too.

I reckon that warning will almost mirror this map from today

IMG_6697.thumb.png.d2bfb26a263f26282f82726ff20c7176.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Of course nothing can be ruled out next week, its been a tough few days model watching for sure. Interesting how metoffice have been lowering max temperatures every day since monday, indeed whats looking more nailed on now is some snow showers affecting areas exposed to the northerly. Im hoping the pembrokeshire dangler gets into full swing, its delivered quite large amounts before in the past, its however not good for east wales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

How the heck is that widespread??

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Mid and East Wales less likely to see any snow based off current output. Still time for the low to move north though.

Yes it’s looking mainly dry for us at the moment which is a shame. However I think showers will likely move fairly far inland on Monday Night so worth keeping an eye on that.

Wednesday’s low looks likely to miss now but it may still skirt the far south of Wales. Not totally a done deal yet

For me, best chances for East Wales may be Thursday Friday once the low heights and uppers return later Wednesday. However we won’t know for a few days yet.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I agree only mentions West Wales.

We see many times showers merge to give longer spells of snow ,as streamer develops.-8 uppers encorages development of showers 

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun
5 hours ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I agree only mentions West Wales.

Well that means me ...

And the livestock. Best get feeders and hay out for the national trust ponies! 

Extra fodder costs ... this info is really important to us. 

Then there are these clowns ..

.IMG-20240106-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.42dc3f2d3e88229685994e0db2b333e4.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

For now im going to keep my expectations low for snowfall here. Northerly winds are no good for my location and the low looks going to far south. It will be a real shame to have this cold weather without snow but it seems like that is most likely for SE Wales. Still chance for change over next few days though. 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

For now im going to keep my expectations low for snowfall here. Northerly winds are no good for my location and the low looks going to far south. It will be a real shame to have this cold weather without snow but it seems like that is most likely for SE Wales. Still chance for change over next few days though. 

It's a pity that this cold spell if you can call it that is going to only last around a week when models were showing it being long lasting days ago. Nevermind, at least we can save on our heating bills when the Atlantic train rolls in next weekend. 🤣.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning, still looking good for snow showers North & West Wales Sunday night - Wednesday. 

Some showers moving into North Wales late Sunday. Then a Pembrokeshire Dangler looks likely to set up Monday, turning north westerly into Monday evening and overnight, resulting in it affecting areas further east - Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire, Swansea if the showers push through.

For those of us in Mid, E, SE Wales, I think we’ll just need to see how far inland the showers do come and their intensity. Wednesdays low looks unlikely now and the models are all agreeing (for now) of a breakdown of the very cold air on Friday. It’s a shame but I think the bigger build up and the downgrades are overriding the fact that we still have a cold week to come and will have conditions conductive to low level snow.

It’s disappointing overall given what it could have been but let’s see what happens.

Edit - looking at the models again, the Dangler and North Wales showers are likely to also make a comeback Thursday potentially, after the milder sector moves through and the cold uppers move back south. Something to watch..

Edited by bradymk
  • Thanks 1

Posted

6z UKMO showing those showers early Tuesday morning.

IMG_6707.thumb.png.2c445d4945d18ba69cb1691e002c6e24.png

• Like 4