Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter. Anything extreme.
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

I agree but it is for ice.👍

Aye, but ice is better than a wet puddle!! 🤪

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
1 minute ago, Continental Climate said:

We seem to have been chasing this cold spell since the new year or even before and it's still over a week away. Without being unduly gloomy I'm assuming this hunt for severe cold (-10 uppers) via a greenie high will fail. We are now talking wedges to get the cold in. It's hard not to get dragged in looking at day 10 charts that offer narnia but we must remember that our little islands are probably situated in the worst possible spot in the NH (at our latitude) for cold weather.

I do agree to be cautious and it's always location specific but the -10C uppers are only about 24 hours from being just about over my house with some cute wintry potential. Not exactly Narnia but we're in the game already and to me it looks like a wide array of options, many very good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

"Houston we have a problem"

You don't have to be a depressed pessimist to see things are trending the wrong way, the ENS are underwhelming and the ECM op a shadow of what was promised a few days ago.

Polish it as much as you want but you won't make the models shine, yes still plenty of time for upgrades as the cold spell is still a week away but we need to see the trend reverse soon.

If it is to go TU then I would rather it be now than at +72 which has happened in the past.

People look at upstream developments in the Pacific but for me it's Iberian Heights that's the issue,  the drought in Spain is now serious and unprecedented with little sign of a change anytime soon.

Andy

LOL .... That post is so 20 minutes ago!......Copy and paste for the 12Z's!

Posted

Many in here saying a dry outlook but wasn't there lows to our SW next weekend which could lead to a snow event as per Met Office update. Have I missed something? Have these lows now disappeared?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
15 minutes ago, That ECM said:

I agree but it is for ice.👍

the full warning mentions 'snow'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Shower activity quite widely according to this fur tomorrow night 

IMG_2490.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
9 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

Many in here saying a dry outlook but wasn't there lows to our SW next weekend which could lead to a snow event as per Met Office update. Have I missed something? Have these lows now disappeared?

yep all gone mate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Good ENS 06z

ens_image.thumb.png.deeb0f2d3fc8142d34de1ee13532d099.png

FI i 'back to Barty' vomitsville 🤮🤣

GFSOPEU06_366_1.thumb.png.f1e50e4ff0ed5cd9605cbf4d177ca96d.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

That’s why the latest run is colder, personally I’d prefer the risk of lows coming in against cold air, much more fun

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

The last update mentions heavy rain and milder interludes in the south, so that would suggest the cold will either not get that far south or won’t last long.  Which the models are reflecting this morning. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Purga said:

Good ENS 06z

ens_image.thumb.png.deeb0f2d3fc8142d34de1ee13532d099.png

FI i 'back to Barty' vomitsville 🤮🤣

GFSOPEU06_366_1.thumb.png.f1e50e4ff0ed5cd9605cbf4d177ca96d.png

Well hopefully at that range it can be treated as cannon fodder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Arome/Arpege precipitation possibly notions @6z.   Anyway it’s very worth pointing out factors here- even in a possible full frontal snow event (lp into cold situ air) it’s nearly always impossible on our maritime island to decipher even near exact geographicals until only hrs out!.. with shower/ streamer scenarios that job only gets harder.  So until around tomorrow morning I’d look but certainly not gage… and my preferred mod at this range will be the Arpege. Get ready for a nail bitting possible classic nowcaster situ.  As regards the bigger picture we’ll await 12z suites for more indications going forward.. it’s true dynamical complexity right now….some shock accumulation likely in such events… let’s see whom get lucky 🤷‍♂️👍

69DD4F30-DF55-439E-8FDE-961266B002A7.png

28327F9C-C99E-4929-B837-BB8F43FE0B18.png

A6AEC721-CD65-4B07-85ED-DF7939150C1F.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
42 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

"Houston we have a problem"

You don't have to be a depressed pessimist to see things are trending the wrong way, the ENS are underwhelming and the ECM op a shadow of what was promised a few days ago.

Polish it as much as you want but you won't make the models shine, yes still plenty of time for upgrades as the cold spell is still a week away but we need to see the trend reverse soon.

If it is to go TU then I would rather it be now than at +72 which has happened in the past.

People look at upstream developments in the Pacific but for me it's Iberian Heights that's the issue,  the drought in Spain is now serious and unprecedented with little sign of a change anytime soon.

Andy

Completely agree andy. Good post. 

• Insightful 1

Posted

So nice to see a drier outlook, hopefully turning colder along with it!

tabledpq6.php.png

Edited by Wilxy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Hi Continental climate I couldn’t agree with you more about our little island is the worst place in the whole of the northern hemisphere despite us being quite relatively far north. When you look at Canada all the way across the Japan other places we have to be one of the worst places for cold weather in the winter. You get places much further south than us that get more snow and cold weather.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
6 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Well hopefully at that range it can be treated as cannon fodder.

Indeed all nwp is cannon fodder at that range. Even the sainted ECM

• Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Vortex3929 said:

Regional thread says rain. Temperatures and dp are too high still. 

A little disappointing to read that the ECM still isn't being helpful for the cold spell. Adding further to the points raised on why we are seeing "down grades", I'm rehighlighting this point as I think it's quite valid 

Now I'm not an expert in this field of model watching, but I do read here a lot. 

Haven't we had to rely on an the Pacific jet to an extent (EAMT etc) ? And this jet somehow matters to our weather ( as per Tamara and met4cast?)... so if there is model spread happening over in the Pacific (and I may be very wrong here!!!! This is purely guess work by me)... would they same model spread not have a similar knock on effect downstream so to speak and there for cause our models to possibly be exhibiting some kind of change or disagreement?

Yes . The two areas mentioned in their discussion have a large impact on what happens re any northerly here .

Uncertainty in the east Pacific is related to what happens with that Pacific Ridge and we’ve seen the knock on effects especially in terms of the ECM output . The amplitude of the pattern over the USA and Canada effects the building of any Greenland or North Atlantic high .

For this reason I’d not be too downbeat over cold prospects just yet . 

More runs are needed ! We just don’t know what the correct evolution is yet .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
11 minutes ago, JimBob said:

The last update mentions heavy rain and milder interludes in the south, so that would suggest the cold will either not get that far south or won’t last long.  Which the models are reflecting this morning. 

It's clearly suggesting a battleground scenario, how far north wouldn't be determined until 24/36 hours before. That's if any fronts ever get that far into the UK from the S or SW 

• Like 3