Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

One thing of note; 

Any snow that does fall & accumulate from back edge snowfall of the cold front around the 6th or wintriness from the E/NE before the high builds in could be on the ground for upwards of 10+ days. 

Details of course but worth mentioning. Likely a case of a cold high & cold pooling deepening in situ, when weather fronts return that could be very interesting (assuming we don’t see the currently unlikely solution of a sinking high)

Too early to give an indication of how long snow will last, however if GFS/GEM solution happens the snow will melt before it turns cold. On top of that in the next 10 days the snow looks very limited but early days.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions but I'm personally a firm believer in telecommunications- 9 times out of 10 from my POV,if telecommunications are not supportive of a UK cold spell it  won't happen.

I freely admit a lot goes over my head but the above I believe to be true.

Me also esp the over the head bit. Ive picked up and learnt a lot over the years but via various health problems my memory isnt what it was. My main go to now is the ukmo and various control and mean outputs. The ops obviously cause much more interest but a broadscale look at things is better for me. The actual telecommunications are of interest but you need a long term understand imo, like guys on here👍👍

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

I appreciate it isn't the top model but all signs positive help .................don't they 

The JMA seasonal round up for Jan Feb and March is truly stunning. 

January Cold and blocked, HP over us and slightly NW of the UK

Feb looks absolutely primed for a snowy and cold month blocking pushed further North and West towards Greenland.

March signal is weaker and mixed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
2 minutes ago, MJB said:

I appreciate it isn't the top model but all signs positive help .................don't they 

The JMA seasonal round up for Jan Feb and March is truly stunning. 

January Cold and blocked, HP over us and slightly NW of the UK

Feb looks absolutely primed for a snowy and cold month blocking pushed further North and West towards Greenland.

March signal is weaker and mixed.

Hello, would you be able to link latest JMA for JFM? Many thanks 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bullseye said:

Go to Gavs weather vids, he explains it very well 

3 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Thank goodness it's looking drier from later next week as that high builds in around or just west of the UK!

ens_image.png

mslp_20231231_00_168.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I think his point was that if any snow falls (the ECM suggests possible) then with the sun at its lowest, very cold nights and days only just into plus temps - it won’t melt.  With temps very cold, snow is quite possible for some - weather that’s showers, a little trough or more prolonged events from whichever direction. The cold weather is coming - just how cold and snowy to be decided. 

As ever my cup is half full, and will be till early April 😬

It will probably melt if it's only 1-2cm.

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

It will probably melt if it's only 1-2cm.

It’ll be a nice predicament to be in, I guess some -3 to -6c nights before would help 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I needed to jump out of semi retirement for this post..hope the mods don't mind.

When I joined this forum nearly 5 years ago I was sceptical of back ground drivers as I didn't really understand them..so I just played ignorant to it all....but I never disrespected any of the posters who shared this knowledge! As the years have rolled by the likes of Tamara..catacol...met4cast...chio..matt H.. eagle eye...(I could go on with this list as there's more of you) have completely changed my attitude to such a wonderful science,and the amount of work that goes into this subject with there posts is unreal! Do keep in mind many of the above are not professional! Yes you would think they were...they are that good at it,they simply have a gr8 passion for the subject and spend a hell of a lot of time studying,and then they pass this information on to us giving us the chance to learn something new!

I for one know for a fact some of them in the past have come close to stopping posting due to non stop criticism...and I've actually talked one of them out of it privately on more than one occasion!

Where do you think the Met get there long range forecasts from! A clairvoyant!! The tea leafs! It's all based on drivers around the globe and much of it is inputted into those monthly text updates.. yet when they're talking up cold and snow,everyone loves em! When they get it wrong they're useless! Get my point here!

Let's all dismiss those drivers and base our forecasts on 4 gfs runs a day! One run shows Greenland blocking...the next a bartlett high! Exactly!!! Its not quite that simple.

So I say to all of those that spend so much time bringing us these amazing insights with the teleconnections to please keep at it...most of us on this Forum want to keep learning from it.

Keep the peace folks...no point in dismissing something you either don't understand,or are simply not willing to try and understand.

Post of the year

Well said Matty boy 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

"I needed to jump out of semi retirement for this post..hope the mods don't mind.

........So I say to all of those that spend so much time bringing us these amazing insights with the teleconnections to please keep at it...most of us on this Forum want to keep learning from it.

Keep the peace folks...no point in dismissing something you either don't understand,or are simply not willing to try and understand."

Well said. Evidence will build, one way or the other, as this science continues to be studied. It's too easy, and too early, to dismiss it out of hand. 

J.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I needed to jump out of semi retirement for this post..hope the mods don't mind.

When I joined this forum nearly 5 years ago I was sceptical of back ground drivers as I didn't really understand them..so I just played ignorant to it all....but I never disrespected any of the posters who shared this knowledge! As the years have rolled by the likes of Tamara..catacol...met4cast...chio..matt H.. eagle eye...(I could go on with this list as there's more of you) have completely changed my attitude to such a wonderful science,and the amount of work that goes into this subject with there posts is unreal! Do keep in mind many of the above are not professional! Yes you would think they were...they are that good at it,they simply have a gr8 passion for the subject and spend a hell of a lot of time studying,and then they pass this information on to us giving us the chance to learn something new!

I for one know for a fact some of them in the past have come close to stopping posting due to non stop criticism...and I've actually talked one of them out of it privately on more than one occasion!

Where do you think the Met get there long range forecasts from! A clairvoyant!! The tea leafs! It's all based on drivers around the globe and much of it is inputted into those monthly text updates.. yet when they're talking up cold and snow,everyone loves em! When they get it wrong they're useless! Get my point here!

Let's all dismiss those drivers and base our forecasts on 4 gfs runs a day! One run shows Greenland blocking...the next a bartlett high! Exactly!!! Its not quite that simple.

So I say to all of those that spend so much time bringing us these amazing insights with the teleconnections to please keep at it...most of us on this Forum want to keep learning from it.

Keep the peace folks...no point in dismissing something you either don't understand,or are simply not willing to try and understand.

In short, never stop being curious 😉

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
22 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Top post Matt

Having read in detail Tamara's posts before summer she got it spot on in my view.

Hope she doesn't mind me reposting this from early June and she was one of the first to flag up the upcoming westerly influence that will be seen over Iberia after a very long period of static High pressure influence down there.

"Yes. The sub tropical jet stream continues to be the interest as summer wavelengths take stage c/o a Nino-esque split flow driving an increasingly amplified trough in the Atlantic and corresponding tendency to inflate downstream ridges and warm air advection. Worth watching for renewed heat build moving north from southern Europe interplaying with the Atlantic trough. Which translates to larger and larger plumes and thundery potential across much of Europe/UK.

Its been some time since this type of summer pattern has been seen. The broad scale trend should greatly please many rather than getting bogged down in the detail of each and every intra day output"😊

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Hi John, yes, not feeling it this morning, unfortunately.  I think the trend has been going in the wrong direction over the last day or two.  And I still think we lost a lot of impetus towards a really decent cold spell when the very favourable split in the vortex (which resulted notably in the SSW, but was showing at all vertical levels on the models) went belly up.  

I think we’re looking at the wrong week. Like I’ve probable said a million times it’s the 15th onwards for any change of snowy cold with the 8th -15th drier with the odd surprise thrown in. The cycling caused by the rise in AAM will have 3 or 4 bites to it before it subsides

• Like 8

Posted
4 hours ago, winterof79 said:

To be honest i never expected snow at that time scale nor the Met. We seem to dream up earlier snowy spells when they were never fully on the table.

A UK High or somewhere near in early Jan is fine to start with.

Finally! Someone who talks some sense on here! Pressure always looked too high 8th -15th as the met have said for 6 days in a row now. We aren’t even within 14 days of the deeper cold arriving as per met office

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

It really wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest that the closer we get to the weekend (7th) the low in the southeast will be stronger than modelled at present and closer to the uk which will obviously enhance the cold coming from the east or north east and will bring snow to some, then as that pulls away we get some kind of cold high keeping most of the snow if any of course on the ground. Becoming very cold and frosty. That’s enough for me at this time

• Like 5