Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Still very much in a holding pattern for now - not much change from last night's ensembles. Definitely looking at a below average spell for at least a few days, but the depth of the cold and the duration are still very uncertain. There are cold-mild options, cold-mild-cold options, and consistently cold options through mid-month.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e(11).thumb.png.b9c127782c7962a382da2b4e9b21d728.pnggfs-newcastle-upon-tyne(3).thumb.png.ce9fd532d2626dfb8bed33aa49dc6d67.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 hour ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I needed to jump out of semi retirement for this post..hope the mods don't mind.

When I joined this forum nearly 5 years ago I was sceptical of back ground drivers as I didn't really understand them..so I just played ignorant to it all....but I never disrespected any of the posters who shared this knowledge! As the years have rolled by the likes of Tamara..catacol...met4cast...chio..matt H.. eagle eye...(I could go on with this list as there's more of you) have completely changed my attitude to such a wonderful science,and the amount of work that goes into this subject with there posts is unreal! Do keep in mind many of the above are not professional! Yes you would think they were...they are that good at it,they simply have a gr8 passion for the subject and spend a hell of a lot of time studying,and then they pass this information on to us giving us the chance to learn something new!

I for one know for a fact some of them in the past have come close to stopping posting due to non stop criticism...and I've actually talked one of them out of it privately on more than one occasion!

Where do you think the Met get there long range forecasts from! A clairvoyant!! The tea leafs! It's all based on drivers around the globe and much of it is inputted into those monthly text updates.. yet when they're talking up cold and snow,everyone loves em! When they get it wrong they're useless! Get my point here!

Let's all dismiss those drivers and base our forecasts on 4 gfs runs a day! One run shows Greenland blocking...the next a bartlett high! Exactly!!! Its not quite that simple.

So I say to all of those that spend so much time bringing us these amazing insights with the teleconnections to please keep at it...most of us on this Forum want to keep learning from it.

Keep the peace folks...no point in dismissing something you either don't understand,or are simply not willing to try and understand.

Well said & echo the sentiment. The winds that blow a hoolie as the globe spins at 1,000 mph plays a very big influence & those that follow the jet stream/MJO projections can gain a better understanding beyond the 10 day period.

As Tamara mentioned yesterday, the High Pressure isn't sinking any time fast & will simply manoeuvre East & West, so we have to hit lucky at some point.

On that note, hope you have a Hoolie tonight & a Drier January, please.

Chin up folks & to those dismissing drivers “a nod’s as guid as a wink tae a blind horse”. Happy Hogmanay 🎉

• Like 6

Posted

image.thumb.png.aa5b142315ff9f8b926fa0bca573c65d.png
06z shows just below average temperature GFS hopefully is a outliner, but honestly looking at that dryish with some cold rain especially around the coast cooler conditions from around the 05th to the 09th then a split of the members 50/50 I know the 06z one you ignore well to one’s own perils. 

• Like 2

Posted

We have a fresh thread here, and it would be nice if everyone could make the effort to keep their posts model related.

For general chat, moans etc, please use the winter thread

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

ICON looks an upgrade 

12 v 6z @ 102

image.thumb.png.a0ffb45b30d3a9ee3d122cbbaaeceb07.png

Building blocks certainly there & better shaped low to pump the WAA up

EdIT: and only 4 days away

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

ICON looks an upgrade 

12 v 6z @ 102

image.thumb.png.a0ffb45b30d3a9ee3d122cbbaaeceb07.png

image.thumb.png.c6c3708ef4d9a4de99bfbcbdcfca7da3.png

Nws is this regard to drier cold weather within the next ten days. Tia 🙏🙏

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, swfc said:

Nws is this regard to drier cold weather within the next ten days. Tia 🙏🙏

I suspect short term changes can have big knock on effects ..

I'm hopeful winter is coming ..

12z v 6z  102h

image.thumb.png.ba8468d3b5eebfe1442806892dd64562.png

image.thumb.png.0b064c9d26bbe84fc1e6469a6563fd38.png

Posted
Just now, geordiekev said:

Building blocks certainly there & better shaped low to pump the WAA up

Be interesting to see where it ends up at 180, the 00Z ended like this......

A few of the EPS from the 06z were showing  this route too 

I'd much prefer blocking sets up here rather than east near the UK 

iconnh-0-180 (8).png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I suspect short term changes can have big knock on effects ..

I'm hopeful winter is coming ..

12z v 6z  102h

image.thumb.png.ba8468d3b5eebfe1442806892dd64562.png

image.thumb.png.0b064c9d26bbe84fc1e6469a6563fd38.png

I agree. Hopefully things can change very quickly on the nhp 🙏🙏

• Like 2

Posted

The Icon is going for a UK high on this run, with heights much lower towards Greenland than previous one

Any proper cold is way out East

Edited by January Snowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Icon says 🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_2191.png

IMG_2192.png

It says, more runs needed for details but Atlantic train isn’t.😄

• Like 1

Posted

Beware the deep purples over the pole clumping together again👀!the uk high can banish aint got time for it !!once bitten twice shy!i shall continue to watch over like i have over the last month until/if the time comes to unleash!!1 month of winter gone already and the days continue to dissapear🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️!!!!!

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

Beware the deep purples over the pole clumping together again👀!the uk high can banish aint got time for it !!once bitten twice shy!i shall continue to watch over like i have over the last month until/if the time comes to unleash!!1 month of winter gone already and the days continue to dissapear🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️!!!!!

Sheikhy relax dude. Its not January yet boss 👍🙏🙏