Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
13 minutes ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

Saw the writing a few days ago personally.

That’s why I’ve not bothered with much input on here. 

It's a game of Russian roulette always prefer to make it on the first attempt seen it so many times over the years 2nd 3rd bite fails and incomes the Atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, booferking said:

It's a game of Russian roulette always prefer to make it on the first attempt seen it so many times over the years 2nd 3rd bite fails and incomes the Atlantic.

Yes some of us have been around here long enough to know the script!

A few weeks ago a SSW looked a cert. Hence I couldn’t see a way for the strat to gain the upper hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Wow what a chart that is going to link with the arctic high no chance that sinks 

Just a shame we lose the deep cold before the easterly kicks in 

Wont let me upload charts but I mean the UKMO 168hrs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

To be fair your are probably right about the first blocking high days 7-9 it does look like it will now sink, to what degree we don't know.

Even as good as the UKMO looks at 144h there's no saying that won't sink either?? And we are yet to see the ECM 00z. For me the key will be the next blocking high days 13-15!

I never used words as strong as will I said most likely, probably etc. I am not an all or nothing forecaster. The output has migrated towards a flatter outcome which suggests this is definitely possible, it depends on small scale timing / phasing issues which the NWP does not have power to resolve so it could still go either way - though subjectively speaking once the shift has started it can be tough to reverse - hence the 70/30 between a temporary light easterly / UK high and a strong Easterly flow.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
30 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMO is what we want.

Only issue is GFS/ICON are similar so UKMO looks the outlier solution,as it stands.

Massive ECM later..

Oh come on NWS. GFS and ICON poor models. UKMO and ECM will lead the way. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking upstream, there is a pesky shortwave spoiler that interferes with the ridge in the east Pacific, ruining the upstream amplification, which would likely lead to an uptick in the westerly flow scuppering the Atlantic/UK high:

gfsnh-0-246.thumb.png.81d793cfcf499f5729f95e42e3414b4a.png   

See if that is a one-off algorithmic invention or a spoiler. GFS is terrible after D10:

gfseu-0-282.png?12

• Insightful 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

We don’t even get the 2nd attempt on 12z.. flat and stormy 

image.thumb.png.0ad4a9eee64db5daa4af3e08fb20ffa5.png

Clearly wrong early doors 

5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

In fairness you were also very confident of strong Iberian heights ruining any hope of cold so.. 

Do think you’re a little too over confident at times on the back of a few det runs. 

I still see it as a big worry to put things in perspective 2/3 days ago I was very confident Azores would come in now I am slightly more split on the outcome.

The reverse can be said for those pining for cold after 2/3 great runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
20 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

We should see the ECM join the GFS/ICON tonight so we can be more confident of this progression.

Why should we see the ECM join the GFS 12z.  I mean the GFS 06z didn’t join the GFS did it?  

BFTP

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I never used words as strong as will - it will most likely - probably etc. I am not an all or nothing forecaster. The output has migrated towards a flatter outcome which suggests this is definitely possible, it depends on small scale timing / phasing issues which the NWP does not have power to resolve so it could still go either way - though subjectively speaking once the shift has started it can be tough to reverse - hence the 70/30 between a temporary light easterly / UK high and a strong Easterly flow.

I would agree with that, re- the first attempt.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

Next chance will be later Jan

Though I’ve just checked the GFS strat output and I personally wouldn’t bank on that either with SPV sat over the pole.

Keeping an eye on that Aaron 

the extended ens are extending the spv to Greenland from svaalbard and looking like they may be sending energy back and forth - we know that would power up the Atlantic if it verified and coupled down below.  Of course on the other hand,  a stretched vortex would also be susceptible to renewed wave breaks if they occur. Whilst the ec46 doesn’t have too many fans, it does allow us to see the zonal strength of all the members so we can look out for a general increase in the number of stronger runs as January progresses. There was an increase in the number of flatter gefs members around T300 on the 06z suite so it is something that the model is seeing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I never used words as strong as will I said most likely, probably etc. I am not an all or nothing forecaster. The output has migrated towards a flatter outcome which suggests this is definitely possible, it depends on small scale timing / phasing issues which the NWP does not have power to resolve so it could still go either way - though subjectively speaking once the shift has started it can be tough to reverse - hence the 70/30 between a temporary light easterly / UK high and a strong Easterly flow.

When you say ‘the output’, you mean ‘the GFS’ presumably because UKMO isn’t trending flatter. 

Edited by Drifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Should so we can be more confident, not should because it is more likely.

But you see  the high sinking and therefore you would expect it to follow gfs. Therefore it would be more likely in your view. Otherwise you initial post would have been different. You should be a politician.😩😂

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Should so we can be more confident, not should because it is more likely.

There’s going to be some model volatility over next few days.  To see GFS 06z and 12z certainly highlights that.

BFTP

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

It's more of a concensus than a trend now.

It’s only the gfs operationals doing this Kasim. Models will continue to be all over the place! There’s just so much going off at once! I’d stick with ukmo/ecm. Where’s this negativity come from considering the set up and background signals? I don’t understand it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

It’s almost as if ECM 00z never happened which clearly has much stronger parallels with latest UKMO. Tonight’s ECM 12z imo will be very decisive. Instead GFS and cannon folder models are taken as superior guidance. Bizzare. 

IMG_1128.thumb.gif.648f3409e75629c1adc653fd7cf75b80.gif

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Drifter said:

When you say ‘the output’, you mean ‘the GFS’ presumably. 

The GFS/ICON/GEM are 3 of the big 5 which can not be discounted. If those 3 showed a strong easterly then would be taken very seriously as possible. Why should this be any different when the solution is not as good. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

The GFS/ICON/GEM are 3 of the big 5 which can not be discounted. If those 3 showed a strong easterly then would be taken very seriously as possible. Why should this be any different when the solution is not as good. 

I really don’t believe they are part of the big 5. 

UKMO and ECM are the best models then on the 2nd tear the above 3. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2