Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

23 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

So my non-technical take on what will happen. Based on nothing more than my direct experiences, plus reading this site.

1) It will get much colder over the weekend. There will be much talk in the media of "stiff northerlys" and "arctic blasts"

2) A few places in the north will get snow showers. But on the whole most places will remain dry. Some will grumble at this, but others will maintain that we should keep the faith.

3) There will be much talk of a big midweek snow event. But ultimately it will trend southwards and miss the UK.

4) There will be louder grumbles,  but others will say "at least it is still cold".

5) A much bigger low will approach from the west. There will be talk of "battleground scenarios" and "midlands north event"

6) The low will pile through. There will be snow on the leading edge that will produce dramatic pictures on the news. But overall it will soon become a rainy/slushy mess. It will mark the end of the cold spell and people will be sad.

7) Others will say "Doesn't matter. Background signals are supporting an even better cold spell opportunity next month." There is much rejoicing and the chase is resumed" 

This is 100% how it will go. Well done Lord Grogon! 

1 minute ago, Rob 79812010 said:

To me, everything seems pretty much on track. Last week of Jan was always looking like a warm up. It's what comes after that..... 

But lets be honest. Its always "What comes after that". Typical FI chasing that produces nothing notable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
54 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

So we’re really all now freaking out because some random dude said to @MATTWOLVES 3 on Twitter that the met office are going to downgrade a forecast for over a weeks time? Oh okay then 

Nuts isn’t it!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
9 minutes ago, Tamara said:

References, as ever, crop up to x+y= responses to MJO phases in isolation. Again, to keep reiterating, tropical AND extra tropical wind-flow has to be assessed in respect of synoptic responses. There is no linear single interaction/response between the tropics and extra tropics without looking at directional flux of propagation of wind-flow as well, at this time of year, considering the interactions between the troposphere as a whole and the polar field.

Eastward moving tropical convection waves (MJO) at high amplitude and set against very high +ve inertia within the aggregate global wind-flow budget is going to retain greater amplification tendency than a situation where angular momentum and angular momentum tendency are both suppressed. In this sense, and taking the present scenario where the MJO is moving through the so called "La Nina response phases" of the Maritime continent, it is not as simple as equating this to increased polar jet+ Atlantic westerly forcing = mobile +NAO pattern and breakdown of blocking patterns.

The more extended period is fraught with so many pitfalls for NWP that I would genuinely stop trying to second guess the outlook for the last third of January. It makes sense that the Canadian lobe of the polar vortex will send energy towards the Atlantic but based on both the modelling within the polar field, which is highly unstable, and so much latent +AAM inertia within the aggregate wind-flow budget and then in addition to all that  - another very sizeable push of inertia and momentum between the tropics and extra tropics during the period under consideration;  there are so many hurdles for NWP to handle that extended ensemble data is next to rudderless at this time.

This assessment is intended to be neutral in respect of the overall diagnostic - but it happens to be one that continues to keep cold blocked patterns in the ascendancy for N/NW Europe and tendency for the white water rafting within the sub tropical jet stream to be adjusted upwards within modelling suites day on dy. That doesn't inextricably mean another 1947 redux, but probabilities do suggest that attempted Atlantic breakdowns will be attritional and prone to be shorter lived, if they occur, rather than any wholesale mobile pattern change.

Increased westerly mobility has higher probability for more southern parts of Europe - overall.

It sounds as though you don't think we need to be worried about these ensemble means. I'd be thrilled if you were right!

image.thumb.png.32bbf845739aec8bcc96f2a7cca9a535.pngimage.thumb.png.092b4d7b118ffde408bac2edba03732e.pngimage.thumb.png.870f06b67f3d62215066319290b63663.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I wished I wouldn't have said anything about the met insider information now 🤣

Let's be honest here if it's solid there may be a little alteration too the 1st part of the update.. but I very much doubt the 2nd part would be altered at all! Not unless the likes of Glosea have had a massive climbdown overnight.

And keep in mind how often have we had people in the past say they've got a friend at Dominoes who knows a council figure for the gritting service, and they've been told to stock up big time on grit this year 🤣

And mogreps does look cold out till next weekend and let's be honest so much is subject to change at this range as we've seen with the models over the last several days!

But I tell you what if this bloke is lying he's being unfollowed 🤣

Never give up, Matt!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
7 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I wished I wouldn't have said anything about the met insider information now 🤣

Let's be honest here if it's solid there may be a little alteration too the 1st part of the update.. but I very much doubt the 2nd part would be altered at all! Not unless the likes of Glosea have had a massive climbdown overnight.

And keep in mind how often have we had people in the past say they've got a friend at Dominoes who knows a council figure for the gritting service, and they've been told to stock up big time on grit this year 🤣

And mogreps does look cold out till next weekend and let's be honest so much is subject to change at this range as we've seen with the models over the last several days!

But I tell you what if this bloke is lying he's being unfollowed 🤣

I'll 👽follow him but not on twitter.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

That really is a decent shift in the right direction on mogreps if you compare it with the 00z set.

Suggests the low doesn't get very close though 

mogreps850london (6).png

mogreps850london (7).png

That’s an awesome update 😍 nearly full on support to stay cold - I expect stronger blocking in the 12z then - and still a good METO long range. If the block stays strong the low could still hit the U.K. then be moved away as the ridge opens back up behind it - hopecast but possible. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
44 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Who is Mark Vogen?

Mark Vogen is the brother of James Madden 😏

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Just before I started typing this, I know models not yet have handle on things where we go next week. Just out of interest. Just had the Met Office email new release and they are still talking of disruptive snow for next week. No mention yet of any breakdowns

• Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Cotswolds did very well as well, approaching a foot in some localised spots.

Thread here:

The highlight to me were the incredible snowfall rates below. I remember the M6 between B'ham and Telford seeing some issues as well, although missing out here, millions still saw snow which is impressive given it was more of a disturbance rather than a proper frontal low snowmaker.

Just to back this up further, in my tiny part of Hertfordshire we had pushing on for 4 inches of snow from this event too - again just a further emphasis on ignoring precipitation forecasts at such range

• Like 3

Posted

To be fair Mogreps i see are only out to Friday latest.Gefs don't uptick until after Friday

Screenshot_2024-01-11-13-57-51-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

image.thumb.png.745ced5c55c33f5cd7d801ae450033ea.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

Just before I started typing this, I know models not yet have handle on things where we go next week. Just out of interest. Just had the Met Office email new release and they are still talking of disruptive snow for next week. No mention yet of any breakdowns

The only thing they mention at the very end of the update is milder conditions returning at the weekend.  But we knew that i guess.

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.e4f5c0862552970e58947915239bd96b.png

Potential for more persistent snow through Tuesday in the northwest.

Widespread frosts continue by night with wintry showers from the northwest between further potential pulses of snow as weather fronts move in from the west

Not sleet or rain 

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
Just now, winterof79 said:

image.thumb.png.e4f5c0862552970e58947915239bd96b.png

Potential for more persistent snow through Tuesday in the northwest.

Widespread frosts continue by night with wintry showers from the northwest between further potential pulses of snow as weather fronts move in from the west

And potentially through the week until it warms up next week, looking at the charts 🙂

• Like 1