Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The EC D8 is more like the D9 mean than the 0z op, as expected:

ECE1-192.GIF.thumb.png.b5cf6ca521587db5cf17f9250527ba97.pngEDE1-216.GIF.thumb.png.f06deee998a31540cde5f57a8361d427.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Fax vs ECM at 120, pretty similar I reckon. 

IMG_2672.webp

IMG_2673.png

Just now, Ali1977 said:

Fax vs ECM at 120, pretty similar I reckon. 

IMG_2672.webp

IMG_2673.png

Although saying that, the fax looks better still holding a northerly to the east of Iceland 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Yeah and many more features will pop up for sure! We won’t know till Saturday at the earliest for Monday - Wednesday

Very true, but frontal clashes with cold air will almost always be better in terms of being widespread, so more are in with a chance of snow, especially central areas. I know which one myself and those in Midlands prefer, but those living close to coastal areas prefer the latter which I still respect.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

So with EC moving in line with the ens, we can see longevity being to D8-9. In that case, I would rather have the low from the Azores further north for a snow event before we head back to the westerly regime. D9:

ECE1-216.GIF-2.thumb.png.75321e4de094a1ddba8f0e1a4b9ddaf6.png

The low undercutting south may lead to some surprises but a big snow event is my pick. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
21 minutes ago, Malarky said:

PLEASE bring it home UKMO. Bank x100.

Could you post a link for me please where i can view these met office charts. Thanks 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, offerman said:

Could you post a link for me please where i can view these met office charts. Thanks 

WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Latest Met Office Fax synoptic weather maps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Metwatch said:

Very true, but frontal clashes with cold air will almost always be better in terms of being widespread, so more are in with a chance of snow, especially central areas. I know which one myself and those in Midlands prefer, but those living close to coastal areas prefer the latter which I still respect.

The issue with frontal clashes is it tends to be a day of snow then mild air coming in 48 hours later. I prefer to keep the cold in and get several troughs shortwaves in a flow for a week or two. But each. To their own I guess!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

JMA clean at T96 too:

IMG_8467.thumb.gif.e032ece2cbd5020c3b4f3eae17449abe.gifIMG_8468.thumb.gif.b63b283c5b474b15f4517d5d779b68d3.gif

Similar evolution to ECM after, possibly more snow.  I think we are now in a good position at T96.

But I think the period T120-T168 is not yet nailed on any of the models.  I think the move to deflate the ridge and close the separation of the two lobes is overstated by the models, and will maybe take place slower or even not at all.  

• Like 9

Posted
Just now, markw2680 said:

Personally I cannot stand northerly’s it’s always just wishbone crap, 

We're not really getting a Northerly though, the shortwaves between Scotland and Iceland have put a dampner on that.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Scott Ingham said:

The issue with frontal clashes is it tends to be a day of snow then mild air coming in 48 hours later. I prefer to keep the cold in and get several troughs shortwaves in a flow for a week or two. But each. To their own I guess!

Well that is a big ask, despite the suggestion from some  that cold may hang on past next weekend it doesn't seem likely now whether we have a frontal event or not, but I agree it could lead to a big dump of snow more widely  for a lot of people who will likely  be dry otherwise.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

The track off the low nowhere near sorted imo.

IMG_0012.png

IMG_0013.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, That ECM said:

The track off the low nowhere near sorted imo.

IMG_0012.png

IMG_0013.png

JMA would agree 

IMG_2674.gif

IMG_2675.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

JMA clean at T96 too:

IMG_8467.thumb.gif.e032ece2cbd5020c3b4f3eae17449abe.gifIMG_8468.thumb.gif.b63b283c5b474b15f4517d5d779b68d3.gif

Similar evolution to ECM after, possibly more snow.  I think we are now in a good position at T96.

But I think the period T120-T168 is not yet nailed on any of the models.  I think the move to deflate the ridge and close the separation of the two lobes is overstated by the models, and will maybe take place slower or even not at all.  

Worth noting the JMA brings organised precipitation down from the north west as the channel low clears eastwards (thanks to another secondary low developing over the north of the UK), which would likely deliver a snow event.

image.thumb.gif.54c89fdaddbcd1c1a7e73c8294da836a.gif

Heights look very low and the airmass will be very cold. Lots of potential but it would be nice to see the models picking something up more broadly.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Bricriu said:

Well that is a big ask, despite the suggestion from some  that cold may hang on past next weekend it doesn't seem likely now whether we have a frontal event or not, but I agree it could lead to a big dump of snow more widely  for a lot of people who will likely  be dry otherwise.

If you read Tamara’s take there are wedges that won’t be picked up until 120s. I agree the end back mild winning at day 9 but I wouldn’t put my mortgage on it if wedges send low pressure into Europe and keep us on the right side of the jet. That’s something to keep an eye on and until I see it I have to go with the ensembles atm and say I agree mild “should” be coming in 9 days time. Just watch this space….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Business as usual resumes. HP over Iberia, wet windy & mild. 🤮

ECMOPEU12_240_1.thumb.png.7c9a940dce2074cbf781b37031e7f25a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted

ECM is worst case scenario for the south if it’s snow you’re after. South of Birmingham it delivers almost nothing. The north get a couple of days of snow cover end of the week before it warms up 😤 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Bricriu said:

Next week doesn't look anything special snow wise at all now away from the North East.

Bits of snow here and there then a quick return to wet and windy with some transient snow as the mild moves back in.

Still time for change of course, but it all looks a bit meh to me despite the positivity of the background teleconnections. 

• Like 5

Posted

ECM -3 NAO to + 3 NAO in a couple of days. Have to give it credit that is impressive dedication to mild.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Next week doesn't look anything special snow wise at all now away from the North East.

Bits of snow here and there then a quick return to wet and windy with some transient snow as the mild moves back in.

Still time for change of course, but it all looks a bit meh to me despite the positivity of the background teleconnections. 

Snow can’t be forecast until 48hours before the models don’t have the resolution to pick up disturbances so to say it’s dry now is a lesson we learnt years ago in these spells. Best bet is your hi res models 48hours out

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

ECM is worst case scenario for the south if it’s snow you’re after. South of Birmingham it delivers almost nothing. The north get a couple of days of snow cover end of the week before it warms up 😤 

it's a rubbish run from Brum south. i want JMA all day long!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Snow can’t be forecast until 48hours before the models don’t have the resolution to pick up disturbances so to say it’s dry now is a lesson we learnt years ago in these spells. Best bet is your hi res models 48hours out

Not nationwide, but the fairly substantial snow I had in Dec 22 wasn’t predicted 12 hours before! I’ll always remember that when scenarios like next week are probably upcoming…

• Like 3