Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Wow, seriously, how about letting this cold spell play out, and I'm not so sure about the warm up, icon might be showing the way, we will see later in the week. I'm not looking for the next spell just yet.

It's alright you saying that, being in one of the more favourable locations to get snow next week, unlike some of us! 🙄 🤪 

Joking aside, there is still time for a few surprises to crop up next week, so I take on board what you say. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Wow, seriously, how about letting this cold spell play out, and I'm not so sure about the warm up, icon might be showing the way, we will see later in the week. I'm not looking for the next spell just yet.

It is akin to writing an obituary for someone who hasn't died yet.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

I suppose it's possible that it's taking GFS place re the pub run, but let's hope not, I'm intrigued what the 0z might show in the morning. 

You're thinking exactly the same as me. Isn't the icon supposed to be up there though in the 5 day range? I trust it more than the gfs pub run. 

Posted
1 minute ago, The Enforcer said:

It is akin to writing an obituary for someone who hasn't died yet.

Strange how the people responding to my post happen to be in more favourable locations for snow next week?! 🤔

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I suppose it's possible that it's taking GFS place re the pub run, but let's hope not, I'm intrigued what the 0z might show in the morning. 

Why anyone takes the gfs seriously is beyond me.   Not saying icon is right. But gfs is cannon fodder   I suppose it’s because it creates interest because it come out four time a day   

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Why anyone takes the gfs seriously is beyond me.   Not saying icon is right. But gfs is cannon fodder   I suppose it’s because it creates interest because it come out four time a day   

All the det , GFS included have lead the way over the last couple of days, despite what certain posters on here say.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Strange how the people responding to my post happen to be in more favourable locations for snow next week?! 🤔

I think you'll see some surprise developments coming in from the NW.

• Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.png.a063fe74cb658c5d96b0f7846fc5dc94.png

any guesses where this will lead?  I’m intrigued 

BFTP

We'll apparently from your previous posts(last few weeks)it was far away from this.

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Don said:

You must be joking. Even when conditions favour snow and there is precipitation about, check the yellow circle (December 2022):

20221212.thumb.png.99df7db0cd334475e5d5bbb2a000cd26.png

wansteadaerial.png.c2e525d7a0ce9c2a23df8a0df51db735a.png

Edited by The Enforcer
Updated position of yellow circle
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

You must be joking. Even when conditions favour snow and there is precipitation about, check the yellow circle (December 2022):

20221212.thumb.png.99df7db0cd334475e5d5bbb2a000cd26.pngwansteadaerial.png.c2e525d7a0ce9c2a23df8a0df51db735a.thumb.png.07ef9c934f92bcff58848fe86d0bdae8.png

You are still in a more favourable location than me for next week.  Anyway, enough said for now.

That said, very frustrating for you in December 2022 and I feel your pain as it was often like that where I lived during the cold mid-90's winters!

Edited by Don

Posted

Please can we get this as a headline for the next Winter Snow Chase:  😁🤣😂

@tight isobar

"Just b4? I rip through the eps throws like a hungry man going through a bin!!!"

Edited by kumquat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, kumquat said:

I think you'll see some surprise developments coming in from the NW.

Yes, surprise developments are always the best!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

You are still in a more favourable location than me for next week.  Anyway, enough said for now.

Of course if the front attacks from the South, but when all opportunities for snowfall are considered.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, The Enforcer said:

Of course if the front attacks from the South, but when all opportunities for snowfall are considered.

Well, hopefully you will get some snow next week 🤞

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

You're thinking exactly the same as me. Isn't the icon supposed to be up there though in the 5 day range? I trust it more than the gfs pub run. 

Remember, the ICON was the only model never really onboard for the failed Christmas 2021 cold spell.  May mean something this time, may not? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

Remember, the ICON was the only model never really onboard for the failed Christmas 2021 cold spell.  May mean something this time, may not? 🤷‍♂️

I always have respect for this model mate. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

It's definitely one of the better models and one I do respect too!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Don said:

It's definitely one of the better models and one I do respect too!

Let's see if we can eek out some more ridging on the morning runs at T120 and beyond. Tall ask maybe but you never know. 

• Like 3

Posted

Has to be said that once again we're now seeing some absurd, probably near record-breaking, mild ensemble members. Not what we want to see, but still interesting to me as someone who keeps an eye on all things records!

image.thumb.png.cbd7a74225bba9a37318473da55c81b5.png

This ensemble member gets the 850hPa temperatures to 14C in the far SE corner. Absolutely extraordinary. Perhaps more remarkable is that it isn't the only one, there is a mini cluster of about 10% of the ensemble that supports this idea.

Still unlikely to verify, but worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 4

Posted

There will be other bands and filaments of ppn off the SW low. Notwithstanding it going too far south, I think there'll be some interest for the south coast up to the M4 (so yeah SOUTH of the M4)

Separately, Cheshire gap streamers and even into Shropshire I can see some trough action happening right into the Midlands. Don't think this will be as dry as a lot of posters seem to think it will be...

Edited by kumquat
  • Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

This ensemble member gets the 850hPa temperatures to 14C in the far SE corner. Absolutely extraordinary. Perhaps more remarkable is that it isn't the only one, there is a mini cluster of about 10% of the ensemble that supports this idea.

Would be extraordinary, but wouldn't surprise me in this day and age if it did come off.  However, I hope this does not verify!   What were the 850hPa temperatures during the record breaking warm spell in February 2019?  

Something similar happened 20 years ago at the end of January 2004 when we had that Arctic blast, followed by record breaking warm temps the following week in early February.

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

Has to be said that once again we're now seeing some absurd, probably near record-breaking, mild ensemble members. Not what we want to see, but still interesting to me as someone who keeps an eye on all things records!

image.thumb.png.cbd7a74225bba9a37318473da55c81b5.png

This is far more likely than the deep bitter cold predicted by the teleconnections a few days ago.

As I type, it is -20c in Kansas City which is a full 13 degrees further South than Manchester. 

The reality is, the real Winter killer is the Atlantic Ocean. Nothing more Nothing less.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
41 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Icon did very well here in the damp squib on Monday it correctly forecast a fair amount of falling snow showers here with a few heavy bursts that we had too but it also showed no settling snow by the Thames, but this time it does on Wednesday... anyway still too early for specific details from a complex setup ECM etc so no atm

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Here's the latest Ventusky which uses ICON data snowfall&cover this would be epic for top and tail of the country but there's also so for the Midlands coming via the NW. Up to 3-3.5inches in places in the SE and Scotland. Wonder if that E/ENEly is aiding the band ove the far SE

Screenshot_20240114_011815_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011818_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011821_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011827_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011833_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011838_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011842_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011846_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011851_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011855_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011858_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011957_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_012015_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Here's the latest Ventusky which uses ICON data snowfall&cover this would be epic for top and tail of the country but there's also so for the Midlands coming via the NW. Up to 3inches in places

Screenshot_20240114_011815_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011818_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011821_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011827_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011833_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011838_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011842_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011846_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011851_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011855_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011858_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_011957_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_012015_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's potentially many hours of snow for the south!

• Like 1