Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 - A Post Mortem

Posted
41 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

The current state of AAM fluxing helps explain the current patterns we've been seeing despite, on the face of it, a favourable MJO. I do wonder if the very warm SErn Atlantic waters has perhaps helped to extend the Hadley cell this winter and thus inflate the Iberian high regardless of other forcings such as the AAM, it seems very much to have been the default, base state through much of this winter despite seemingly (and often) favourable teleconnective forcing. Climate change is without doubt changing the dynamics.

Does it not make you wonder how we can realistically achieve a genuinely cold winter in future?  We got fairly close in 2020/21, but it seems climate change is advancing at an ever rapid pace!

• Like 7

Posted

AAM/GWO forecasts are a bit thin on the ground,but found these for anyone interested.

https://atlas.niu.edu/forecast/aam/cfsv2_aam_fcst_current.png

https://atlas.niu.edu/forecast/aam/GWO_members_current.png

Both from this page: https://atlas.niu.edu/gwo/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Nick F   what a fantastic and excellent Post. This should be pinned with the insightful reaction. Respect to u man. ☺️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Nick F 

I always enjoy your measured posts Nick, they’ve been the ones to look forward to throughout this winter season.  I think you’re right to call out the MJO.  

Now that winter is drawing to an end, I think I can happily say it’s been a fun few months of model watching, and we’ve had the widest variety of weather I think I’ve ever known.  

Posted

Oh dear, folk are being ultra-defensive.  @Nick F’s post was spot on in my opinion.  Undoubtedly, the Strat is a key parameter, and our understanding though far from perfect is much better than a decade ago. Maybe our understanding of GDSM, AAM, MJO etc. is not mature enough to make them useful in forecasting yet.  In time, these tools may become useful.  However, the biggest background driver is AGW and until that is fully understood (except the fact that it will be warmer) then all bets are off.  

A winter that was ramped up so much but will probably end up as one the mildest winters ever recorded in London! 😂

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

bluearmy I think we have just been unlucky, our time will come again. There have been warmer winters 60,70, 80 years ago.

• Like 3

Posted

For me, it's the expansion of the Hadley cell in Southern Europe such that the Iberian High has become an almost permanent feature and is turning Spain into a desert.

This expansion means the jet stream struggles to undercut into Europe and the real cold is kept in Scandinavia.

The Iberian High is now so powerful that it easily suppresses any influence by the teleconnections etc..

• Like 3

Posted

MJB Indeed. I'm old enough to remember all the 80's winters and just about the back end of the 70's. People go on about the classics in the late 70's and through the 80's. However, looking at the records, the winters of the 70's were non events up until about 1977. And for the 80's, yes there was 81/82, early 84 and early 85, Jan 87. Of course a great decade for winters but what about 80/81, 82/83, 87/88, 88/89 and 89/90? A very big chunk of the 80's there. They were meh! Very uneventful indeed. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

90's for me at least here, may be different elsewhere, loads of very good snow events, much more than 2000+, may not be classed as cold winters in the stats, but were the best for me

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, CoventryWeather said:

The 2018 BOTE is and will always be a once in a decade or even century event

But is it ? March 2013 was colder 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Nick F Have to disagree to some extent... the MJO composites correlated very well throughout the winter which is why I became more of a fan of them.

For example in late November we saw the period of blocking that arguably ended up producing the best week of winter weather here. Phase 6 and 7 in late November. This was following on from a northerly which the MJO composite below fits very well in.

image.thumb.png.c76fea016de254b208f2e836c5290e4c.pngimage.thumb.png.da7c402a2dd3b8516b9b75d2e8a7302f.png

Then through December we had a very unfavourable progression through the MJO as it went round to phase 6 and then a much hyped move into phase 7 broke down before christmas which meant we ended up writing the rest of December off. We then went through phase 1-3 at the end of December and into January. Our most blocked phase of the winter followed.

image.thumb.png.dd0d449dba6858dd451f0bb995efa953.png

image.thumb.png.6317e57ad54490fcd16c79912b94054b.pngimage.thumb.png.9da7ebf1d38c8e5cfd0acc30fedc4232.pngimage.thumb.png.7ced59426de6e65b8da362eb195dc56d.png

image.thumb.png.cde726d5f7979326d4574bc63fcce245.pngimage.thumb.png.1ae26b3208b1e91457dfbdd8728359b1.pngimage.thumb.png.f6ad9c4b1d637a45defd31a78333853c.png

Then we went through a strong phase 5 and 6

image.thumb.png.3a2f3c92e4d6e16be7286dc784c25311.pngimage.thumb.png.ba5957579aeaa59f6210ba6106ab27a4.png

image.thumb.png.64cce5982c7f70ba41d55d9e2152f016.pngimage.thumb.png.943bdddb5f66edcd0888ee4326cc70cc.png

Phase 7 isn't favourable in February either as it still favours higher then average pressure over Iberia.

image.thumb.png.c3d0e3dbd7f693d8885fe3371ea3c0be.pngimage.thumb.png.b5d915ad7e112790c9013108964d978c.png

So yeah I somewhat disagree with the interpretation of some of the composites but in the face of a changing climate you may ultimately be correct. You can find them here

WWW.AMERICANWX.COM

Bear in mind I've been using the El Nino composites this year. Phases 1-3 are cold in January whilst phase 4-6 are more Atlantic dominated.

The issue is the reliability of forecasting the MJO when it is in a less amplified phase or there is a long time difference. This caught out those ramping up a phase 7 in December and I pointed that out at the time there was low confidence of that occurring. There are flaws though. The sample sizes for some phases can be quite small and we don't know how climate change is affecting their response. When using multiple other factors I'm not sure what can be effectively concluded other then speculation given the large number of variables and diminishing analogues.

I don't treat the MJO as gospel to me they are a bit of speculatory fun but I believe they are a useful tool for determining whether we have scope for coming out of a SW'ly rut. Given that has been the case so much this winter, they've been a straw to clutch in what has been a very poor 3 months. A colder winter and I probably wouldn't have paid as much attention to them.

Edited by Derecho
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
8 hours ago, Nick F said:

Does comes across to me like GDSM forecasting is an exclusive club who's members have secret access to AAM charts. Where do the rest of us find them?

It's certainly not an exclusive club and I'm sure if you reach out to David Gold he would be happy to provide the username & password to the site where the charts are hosted. Unfortunately when Ed Berry passed away (the founder/main researcher of the GSDM) NOAA shut down the AAM pages where all the charts were publicly hosted. There used to be a forum on 33andrain specifically about teleconnections with a hell of a lot of research from both pro mets and people like Tamara, Blessed Weather etc trying to understand and build up a library of scientific papers but unfortunately the forum shut down without any real warning and so all that work was unfortunately lost. 

Besides that one site there's very little information or data available now, there's this CFS based AAM maproom but it's not very good.

ATLAS.NIU.EDU

Weatherbell also offer AAM/GSDM charts within their top tier subscription, though you're looking at >£100 per month so not particularly accessible or justifiable just to access some charts. 

There is still a lot to learn about the GSDM of course, it's certainly not perfect as this winter has perhaps shown but perhaps this winter isn't a good example of it's use, it's been a bit of a strange one in terms of the MJO, the stratosphere and just our luck here in the UK really. Despite a south shifted jet for much of winter, despite -NAO and -AO we just haven't been able to get things in the right places for the UK despite what looks to be an almost record breaking cold winter across N Europe.

There's not much else I can add that @MattH didn't cover in his post in response to what you said. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

but they are now becoming almost non existent.

Seriously ?

2009 ( Jan cold Feb very cold ) 2010 ,2012 ( Jan cold end Feb cold and snowy first half ,severe frosts ) 2013 ( Jan cold in the middle ) March very cold ,2018,2021 ( Feb cold first half with snow from the East ) 2022 Dec was a cold month. It's all swings and roundabouts. We will no doubt experience decent winters again..............IMO 

Edited by MJB
  • Like 7

Posted

MJB seriously yes ..

Take a look at the graph of temperatures in  European  Winters ..

image.thumb.png.ff7ba70bba099bf03308bed8c24da86f.png

You will see a trend that is impossible to counter..yes there are cold spells are you have pointed out ,but you don't have to be Einstein to see how this will end ref UK cold spells ?

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3