Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Underrated summers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This will likely be unpopular but I am going to say summer 2012. 

As horrific as that summer was, only the first half was exceptionally so, with a huge improvement from around the time the schools broke up. I remember a very welcome hot and sunny spell in late July, then an unsettled blip and finally a pleasant enough August. And whilst not technically summer I will mention it anyway seeing as some people consider it to be an extension of summer, early September that year was nice also. I can also recall a thunderstorm event at the end of June which did add some interest.

Still a poor summer, but 2007 was worse.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, I count 2012 in the underrated club as well. Lots of warm days in that second half in London and the South East but many had given up on it after that terrible June, it was the summer I graduated and it was nice that the hot weather arrived just in time for me to enjoy it.

I’d add 2010 as a reverse of this in that the first half of it was really quite nice, though admittedly it did fall apart a bit by August. Probably my favourite of the 2007-11 run.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Weather Enthusiast91 how can as you say a horrific summer be underrated??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

cheeky_monkey I was meant to say that only the first half of that summer was horrific. Perhaps it wasn't worded well, but too late to edit now.

1921 so rarely gets mentioned which is a shame because it truly was a classic to start with July was a very hot month even by today’s standards with a cet of 18.5. June was also very warm with 32 degrees on the 25th august was a little blip being quite unsettled but don’t all summers have a little period of bad weather. And if you count it 1921 also had a brilliant extended summer with may being warm and the early autumn being very warm with 30 being reached on the 9th September and an amazing 28.9 on the 5th and 6th October which was the October record for more then 60 years! 

in my opinion from reading this summer should make it into the top 15 summers the uk has ever experienced but is so rarely mentioned.

Edited by Summerlover2006

Posted

Weather Enthusiast91 Further south did seem to have a reasonable second half of July and August in 2012 to make the summer less poor. We missed out on the heatwave in July and while August was a vast improvement it was still quite wet and not overly warm or sunny.

Posted

Billy Hicks I rate 2010 as a pretty decent summer as well. The June was was brilliant, July while wet wasn’t dull nor was it cold it was just unsettled. Scotland actually had a pretty decent August in 2010 too. It was sunny and mostly dry but cool, very cool nights at times. August 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2020 was by far a lot worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Summerlover2006 because no one is a live to have experienced and comment on this summer to give it some context.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

cheeky_monkey To be fair, the only part of Summer 2012 I'd class as "horrific" was June, possibly early July too. Late July, August and early September were all fairly decent. 

• Like 1

Posted

Summer 1940 is seldom mentioned probably because the previous winter overshadowed it but June 1940 was an outstanding month, exceptionally sunny. July 1940 was poor but August was exceptionally dry. 

image.thumb.png.ca2798c0466a804931522ceea52aa3b8.png  image.thumb.png.2b07487bb78fdf9d8d92ee301b6d3839.png    image.thumb.png.c7a3fd6011e486981896b3a85581ec6a.png   image.thumb.png.4b7ab58619af5342c61906755cf25805.png