Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - May 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Clear sign of the energy approaching. Roughly on track to where it's supposed to be as well. 

Screenshot_20240503_065119.thumb.jpg.937053102ef3818df7bfcbc679d502dd.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
Posted (edited)

Seems like the North York Moors has helped a storm fire.

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

This is crazy, currently at work lorry driving, and today I'm doing Sherringham, Cromer, North Walsham. And I can literally touch that thunderstorm, yet what is it doing? Enjoying the sea to much and skirting around the coast line 🤣 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
Posted (edited)

Southern Storm do you get paid for the use of the image on BBC News? Or is there some small print in the terms for Weather Watchers that says they can do what they want with uploaded images?

Edited by ChannelThunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

Oh well, this season begins as all seasons tend to go - with storms missing me by a hair's breadth.

Feel like I live in the near miss capital of the country.

Everything over the last few days had been just to my south, now it's all just to my north - a feeling that's all too familiar

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

This storm is still growing strong out there in the North Sea, somebody on the northern Lincolnshire coast may have quite the display.

21CFCCA2-CD8A-471B-AEE7-8661AAFF9C95.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

ChannelThunder When you sign up, it states that any pictures submitted as part of weather watchers can be used by the BBC, I'm not too sure how far that goes, but I'm fine with It. 

If I started thinking about lightning photography as a way of generating money, I feel it would take away the passion & excitement and could  potentially lead to putting myself in some sketchy situations chasing that "money shot" 

Add to that the fact that there isn't that much money to be made in selling lightning photographs, so I really don't think it is worth the hassle of trying to make a few bob.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Southern Storm I'm of the exact same opinion! While I made some money off of the shot I got up by Tennyson Monument in 2022, it wasn't my intention; a media company spotted it and got in touch and sent it out to the papers. The Mail and Express (yay?) then used it. 

I have my Facebook page, like you, but the intention there isn't monetary either. My wife & I have a comfortable income so any storm chasing and photos I get out of it purely for the love of it! Like you say, it'd be a lot of hassle, and I don't have the spare time for that!

• Like 1

Posted

Latest from @Nick F in the last few minutes:

030524.JPG

Forecast Details

Elongated upper trough extends west-to-east from the Atlantic across France and southern Britain. Low pressure will slowly drift NW over the North Sea to the north of a frontal boundary of southern Britain - which will lift north through the day. To the north of the boundary, a high wet-bulb potential temperature (theta-w) plume will continue to advect west across central and northern Britain.

Mid-level instability is evident within axis of higher theta-w (14C+) spreading in off the N Sea across eastern England this morning, with isolated thunderstorms over N Yorks already this morning on nose of higher theta-w moving west and an area of elevated thunderstorms recently moving in across Norfolk at breakfast time which may affect areas further north across eastern and N / NE of England and perhaps far SE Scotland through the day. Also, there is a chance of isolated pockets of deeper convection amongst showery rain further south associated with frontal boundary interacting with plume to the north as it slowly edges north. This may produce isolated lightning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

ChannelThunder  Exactly.

Don't get me wrong, if someone approached me and offered me money to use one of my photos, I'd happily take it 🙂

I think it's fair to say the both of us won't be winning entrepreneur of the year anytime soon 😄

• Like 1

Posted

Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I'm a little bit proud of effectively calling today's events in the old thread 8 days ago!

Screenshot_20240503-084247.thumb.png.5fcb2ad260c63986c628d4f7e28ad41b.png

• Like 7

Posted

I must say, I can't ever remember a time with thunderstorms coming in from the East in the whole time I've lived here. Usually the North sea kills off anything approaching!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

reef Yup I've been saying that to others myself. I've never seen it here.

Doesn't feel stormy here either. Just 11C, cloudy and calm. Bizarre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Saturday has SE potential according to gfs at the moment...

image.thumb.png.3f0be8b9ea374bd8ef005e3f1b24f0ab.png

image.thumb.png.3e8133e4ab934afd88689eacbf1582c8.png

Sunday and Monday too in different areas. Definitely will be keeping an eye on developments...👀

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
Posted (edited)

Still buzzing from Wednesdays storms. I went into the garden Wednesday about midday - it was overcast and had that "calm before the storm feeling" (my favourite time of a storm) - there was absolutely no breeze, no birds were singing, nothing - it was absolutely silent. I thought right then that we could be in with a good chance of something special, and thankfully we didn't have to suffer the disgusting heat we usually get with these kind of events. I really hope this has kicked of the season around here and we get some decent night time storms this year now. Still waiting to see a night time fork since the London supercell of 2018.⚡ Now that was a special night - first the supercell in the north west distance with constant blue strobe lightning for hours (but no sound) and then incredible French imports at 1.30am approaching with green lightning from the south before transition to horizonal purple forks right across the sky over my back garden. Incredible night and one I'll always remember fondly.😊

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Derecho The energy those storms are using is from higher in the atmosphere away from the cold north Sea. The surface conditions will have little or no effect on the storms. 

• Like 1

Posted

I don't think today will be that special for most places, for the south it is the bog standard rain that you get throughout winter and up north a few sharp showers and sunshine. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Sprites Indeed, it's a very unusual synoptic either way. Shame we can't see this kind of setup for storms more in the summer. It seems like anything thundery is heading further north of here though unfortunately.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

ChannelThunder

I suppose the models can still be useful these days in the day 7-10 time frame to an extent. Wouldn't have known about the possibility of storms in recent days if we didn't have them 😉

• Like 2

Posted

Metwatch yeah, nice when they are, but it feels so rare at the moment!

Coops241180 could be a small surface low developing there, it's got the correct (anticlockwise) motion 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

@StormLoser Some stuff close to you to your north it seems. Interested if you can see much convection there? 

Posted

Wow a small but really intense thundery shower has developed just north of Newcastle upon Tyne, seems a cluster of them has developed up North, whereas here the weather couldn't be more boring and dull if it tried, drizzle, chilly and just complete nothingness. Hideous.  

Posted

Just drizzle sadly. Was expecting more this morning but mostly been dry. I wonder if the cloud last night dampened any chances. That storm though tracked quite far along the north sea though 

Posted

TJS1998Tom Today was never gonna be good to be honest except for a select few up North that have seen and are seeing some pretty hefty thundery showers. The main storms of this event was the other night down south, we've missed out in our parts, our turn next time hopefully.