Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber snow warnings issued for: The Peak District, south Pennines, north Wales and northwest Shropshire

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2024-02-08&id=8522b3e9-49d4-40ca-8bdc-e9cdf0e876b4

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Summer Sun Wow so exciting 🙄

Honestly after I get back from Austria, I'm writing winter off and considering spring 2024 to have begun. The really humid and stuffy British air will feel warm in comparison to the dry alpine air at these temps anyway.

People can keep the chase up if they want but I'm not going to lie to myself. The upcoming February will be more like an average or humid March and the real thing will go the way of 2022 or 1990.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Colder than average into March...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snowing here now. Settling on grass etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Flintshire County Council have faced a backlash from parents after they closed all schools today despite the snow failing to arrive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

The Met forecasts have been shocking  all winter , we have turned into a bunch of woossies as well, a forecasted inch of snow and everything is planned to stop. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine

Airedalejoe Think it might have been March 79 when much of the NE was cut off by snow mid March. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, Woldsedge said:

hink it might have been March 79 when much of the NE was cut off by snow mid March. 

March. A stormy, wet month, with some heavy snow in the Midlands and North midmonth. The NE was particularly badly affected in the third week. Snowstorms cut off Newcastle: five days of snow gave 46 cm of cover. 175 mm of rain recorded in the first week at Fort William: three times the monthly avrage!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine

MJB I remember it well as I was working outdoors then. Even London had a good covering for 2 days but nothing like as much as oop north. It was on the back of a very cold winter anyway. 

• Like 1

Posted

That was winter of 1978/79 say no more the cold just lasted on and on..

Last march heavy snow was the highlight of the year with 8inches of snow drifting could ve done without the mild sector of rain then freezing rain,followed that night by a NEly blizzard and 5 extra inches of snow on top of huge damage to 1 inch of ice on trees a record in itself..higher up..

Posted

johncam All these nonsensical yellow and amber warnings aren't helping. London had a yellow warning for heavy rain today and while there is rain, it's not exactly a deluge out there. When we got the amber warning for wind, 3 out of 4 times it was just a bit of a strong gale. Warnings should be issued only when it's projected to be REALLY dangerous, not just an inconvenience.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

What an absolutely horrid day. Absolutely freezing cold, northerly wind delivering a nice sideways drizzle. But it has had some sleet mixed in with it at times, so I guess we can say it snowed for a few minutes? Absolutely the worst possible weather combination, totally unusable. My umbrella even turned inside out in that nasty breeze!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

SunnyG yep couldn't agree more , I mind going to work late Dec 78 and walking through 2 foot drifts on the pavement,  everyone was in work that day though a few from afar were late .Now we get 2 inch of snow and everyone stays in bed. My I must be getting old , am  grumpy old man 🤣

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

raz.org.rain Unlucky, I actually got some snow here, although until late afternoon it wasn’t sticking on the roads and pavements, only on the grass. A nasty cold wind though as you say, and it’s currently just 0.7°C here.

3B8DC922-A8A8-4B00-BF4D-00A3340F7350.jpeg

4DAD5CFF-3238-4978-9601-A9CF288BB2A1.jpeg

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I didn't think a "winter" could be as repugnant and depressing as 2013/14, but here we are. Just want spring now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Nick L Horrors like this winter seem to come along every few years now. 2013/14, 2015/16, 2016/17, 2019/20 and 2023/24.

Apart from 5 days mid-January where we had a few crisp, sunny days, it has been relentlessly dull, wet, mild and windy. Barely a frost even.

Its like as the climate warms any interesting or pleasant weather disappears and we're left with the rubbish. That goes for pleasant warm spells and thunderstorms in the summer aswell.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Weather-history I am actually a regular viewer of Scott Richards Weather channel on YouTube, he makes some awesome Timelapse’s and has made a few historic weather videos as well.

https://youtube.com/@ScottRichards10?si=CuVUw8SqbFX0QFr3

• Like 1

Posted

reef I actually quite liked winter 2016/17. Mild and dry, with plenty of benign and usable weather. Cloudy at times sure, but it didn’t have all the wind, rain and Atlantic dross you get in a typical mild winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

reef December was pretty horrid but January for most of the UK was sunnier than average with average rainfall amounts. From a snow perspective that's disappointing but I don't think you can accuse January 2024 of being relentlessly dull and wet. Indeed it's the 2nd sunny January on the trot. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

East Lancs Rain yeah I've been following his videos for years he does some good content. I followed primarily because apart from Kevin Bradshaw he was practically the only other person in Manchester making timelapses, then he moved to Lancashire. Didn't he used to be on here but got booted off? 

Edited by Dark Horse

Posted

cheese Indeed, we had 70 hours here in January compared to the 1991-2020 average of 61 hours. However the issue was that 37 hours of that came in the 5 day period mid-month. We've had a lot of days with little sun, 37 days since 4th December have had an hour or less of sunshine. This came after similar spells in October and November: 8.1hrs between 20th October and 4th November and 12.6 hours between 13th-25th November.

The next "targets" are an 8th consecutive wetter than average month and the first ever February without an air frost (0.1C min so far). Both are on course for now.