Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

Wind seems much stronger than Sunday but of course I may have been asleep at its height.

'Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
3 hours ago, PeteB said:

Wind seems much stronger than Sunday but of course I may have been asleep at its height.

'Pete

This may well have to do with the exact position of the low and the resulting wind direction. For me it's the south to southeastern winds that are often ferocious and prone to cause damage to my roof while amazingly westerlies sound fierce but have considerably less impact at ground and even roof level. For a former colleague of mine it was the opposite in the Porthmadog area which tends to get battered by west winds.

Just to add to  my  previous post re. yellow warning for rain, it seems that our 'rain capital' at Capel Curig got a whopping 58 mm in the 12 hours to 18.00 and Lake Vyrnwy 35 mm in the same time span. To trump these figures, Capel Curig's 72 hour total has reached 156.2 mm which must surely cause considerable flooding downstream and have people in areas like the Conwy Valley worried sick. I wonder if in the summer we will be getting concerned about a long drought as in previous years - never a half measure on this island!!!

• Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Well I’m glad that’s all calmed down now.  Twas a wild and windy night, and a fitful sleep,  what with rushing winds and sound of the river in full flow.  Managed to get sleep earlier in the  morning.  Thankfully no power outages in our village but some have lost power further  up the  valley.  Looking at outlook it seems sunny with a fresh breeze today then another light rain day, then mild, dry, cloudy.  Which will do for me.  Looking forward to not being  wetter than a river rat on the dog walks.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

So, damage in the valley, one road blocked because of tree down, main road partially blocked because of land slip.  Smaller track roads and hill roads mainly tree and branch debris.

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It reached 44.9mph here but there was a two hour period where winds were gusting constantly in the 30s so i think this is the reason it seemed more noticeable than Isha's stronger but more shortlived gusts.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Dydd Santes Dwynwen hapus i bawb/Happy St Dwynwen's day to you all! Have a nice evening, enjoy a candle lit dinner and a good tipple with your dearest person!

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Dydd Santes Dwynwen hapus i bawb/Happy St Dwynwen's day to you all! Have a nice evening, enjoy a candle lit dinner and a good tipple with your dearest person!

Oh that is lovely.  Completely unaware of this, overshadowed as it is by BURRRRRRRRNNNSSSSSS Night and haggis and stuff.  OH out table tennising, me on uni online seminar so by the power invested in me, will move St Dwynwen’s day night Saturday, when we are both in and we will have that evening, 

I wish  you the same felicitations to you and your dearest.  

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to venture out for a romantic stroll under the stars and the full moon if wasn't so utterly miserable today with low cloud and persistent drizzle? Better close the curtains and light a candle or two!🕯️🌝🕯️

• Like 1

Posted

The chase starts again

Friday 9 Feb - Friday 23 Feb

Through the middle of February, changeable conditions are most likely with the wettest and windiest conditions in the north and northwest. It is likely to be drier further southeast, although some wet and windy spells are still possible here. Later in the month there is an increasing likelihood of winds from the north or east, which will increase the chance of some colder spells and perhaps snow.

Updated: 15:00 (UTC) on Thu 25 Jan 2024

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Seems that Eryri and Lleyn will be awarded the 'main prize' on Monday, just look at those rainfall totals. Might just stay in bed!?!🌧️💤☔

image.thumb.png.937d3f2c5c2b03f472c1044ce431ddbc.png

image.png.d03e69b6647d3730d133e72b5d031b03.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The hunt is on definitely on after BBC weather forecast and latest Met Office below

Friday 2 Feb - Sunday 11 Feb

Early February will continue changeable, with spells of wet and windy weather for many parts of the UK. The northwest is likely to see the heaviest and most frequent or most persistent rain, while the southeast will tend to be drier overall. At the start of this period, very mild but rather cloudy conditions are expected widely, with the best of the sunshine to the east of high ground. With time, however, westerly winds are increasingly likely to turn more northwesterly on average, leading to a greater likelihood of colder and brighter interludes within the generally mild, unsettled theme, especially across the north. These would bring an increased chance of wintry weather, with overnight frost and fog accompanying any more settled spells.

Updated: 14:00 (UTC) on Sun 28 Jan 2024

Monday 12 Feb - Monday 26 Feb

At first, changeable conditions continue to be most likely, with the wettest and windiest weather often in the north and northwest. It is more likely to be drier further southeast, although some wet and windy spells are still possible here. Through mid-February there is an increasing likelihood of more settled conditions or winds favouring a northerly component. This would increase the chance of some colder spells, with a greater likelihood of wintry conditions at times.

Updated: 15:00 (UTC) on Sun 28 Jan 2024

• Thanks 2

Posted

Strange to see the rainfall forecast below (presumably based on GFS?) but the MetO warning issued for northern England. Have just taken my 9 o'clock reading which already amounts to 23.8 mm with no chance of precipitation easing any time soon? Has the child to fall into the pond first before the MetO reacts? Can't imagine my location being such an outlier!

image.thumb.png.3a3aa38e360b90dbeb99b8f40fb639fc.png

image.png.0552af552907c390a5345021bfe10f79.png

Posted

Plus ca change, plus c’est encore la deluge, never mind apres it.  It’s been Brigadoon meets Waterworld here today 🤨…….

• Like 2

Posted

@snefnug Hopefully without the bad acting. 

After the change of the cold snap, it’s been back to variations on the theme of wet and grey here. According to my weather station, there were 8 hours and 58 minutes between sunrise and sunset here today, so there should be 9 tomorrow. It would be nice to catch a glimpse of blue sky or the Sun …

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

After the change of the cold snap, it’s been back to variations on the theme of wet and grey here. According to my weather station, there were 8 hours and 58 minutes between sunrise and sunset here today, so there should be 9 tomorrow. It would be nice to catch a glimpse of blue sky or the Sun …

I believe we might be lucky today, not that it would last longer than a day from what i can make out. Carpe diem - Seize the day!!!

• Like 2

Posted

High pressure builds to the north around the 10th of February  

Screenshot_20240130_175516_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Looks pretty atrocious for Norway tomorrow. With hurricane force gusts also comes a dumping of snow and with it blizzards, avalanches, severe icing etc. In one German news outlet 200 cm (yes, you read this correctly!)  of new snow was mentioned. I bet the notorious Daily Express will be envious of  that headline. I wonder how their electric cars are holding up in all this. The Shetland vikings will undoubtedly relieved that their Up Helly Aa fire festival could go ahead today prior to the arrival of storm Ingunn. Would be such fun witnessing that spectacle on site!

WWW.SHETNEWS.CO.UK

LERWICK was awash with flames earlier tonight (Tuesday) as the Up Helly Aa procession lit up the town. Starting off at Lower Hillhead and ending up in the King Harald Street playpark for the galley...

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting Gfs brings colder weather quicker, Febuary ,on the 8th instead of the 10th.GFS Shows front pushes in from the south west bumping in colder air moving south ,still long way off ,but looking good!

Screenshot_20240201_165202_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Model output thread kicking off with possible cold and heavy snow/blizzards being picked up by ukmo/gfs later next week. 

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone got suddenly super windy weather?  Blowing a whistling wind here in North East Wales/Marches

Posted
8 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Anyone got suddenly super windy weather?  Blowing a whistling wind here in North East Wales/Marches

Not here, all quiet in the west wing!😉

Wouldn't it be lovely if that came off? With eight days still to go I'm not jumping up and down just yet!

image.thumb.png.34161e05b2a6448d3c89a1624c9e3085.png

Posted

Wetterfrosch

erm no, it wouldn’t.  Glad to see the end of winter.  Whacked  through the heating oil in four months, not so much through the ‘cold spell’ but generally through the ‘non sunny, PV panels don’t work’ spell and the ‘Strewth it’s blinking cold and dark and windy’ stormy spells.  

Posted
3 hours ago, snefnug said:

erm no, it wouldn’t.  Glad to see the end of winter.  Whacked  through the heating oil in four months, not so much through the ‘cold spell’ but generally through the ‘non sunny, PV panels don’t work’ spell and the ‘Strewth it’s blinking cold and dark and windy’ stormy spells.  

I actually quite share that sentiment but I'd much rather have another blast of winter in February than see anything resembling March 2013, even more so as I will be travelling to and through Germany in a mobile home early next month and would prefer something more springlike then. Also, cold and frosty days (with or without snow) are often brighter than the mild and windy drab with thick low cloud and never ending dampness that has returned to our valley after a decent day. In any way, I haven't found evidence suggesting  any cold spell lasting too long.

Posted

I work in a school and have an inspection next week!🙈😩 all prepped ready can the snow wait until Thursday when it’s over!🙈🤣

Posted

Laura Tobin says rain and 12°C next Thursday…

WHO to believe…. 

• April 2024 - Was it that cold overall? A look at the statistics

General perception from many is that April was a cold month, but statistics would suggest otherwise, with the average temperature for the whole month coming in just above the 30 year average for the UK as a whole. A warm first half to to the month averaged out the cold second half. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1

Bank Holiday Offers Sunshine and Showers Before High Pressure Arrives Next Week

The Bank Holiday weekend offers a mix of sunshine and showers across the UK, not the complete washout some forecasting models were suggesting earlier this week. Next week, high pressure arrives on the scene, but only for a relatively brief stay. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather