Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

keithlucky strat warmings don't always guarantee a jackpot though. It can go the other way towards unusual warmth. We have just got to be wary that Europe is experiencing unusual mild temps at present. If cold comes off the US East Coast the Atlantic will keep coming regardless and meaningful cold will stay clear of our shores. So far the Met office is not giving us in the utility sector and highways teams anything interesting for the next 2 weeks at least. They state that things are looking to go more settled next week. But things can change rapidly with our climate. No one can really tell what's happening beyond 5 days. Its all to play for. 

Edited by The4Seasons
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Effinella!  Completely confused now re weather.  Have Amber warning , but mainly sleety  rain on meto app forecast, downgrade from snow earlier.  Have rearranged client visits,  am I wasting my time?  

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted

snefnug nope - think with your micro climate up in north wales - you should see a days worth of wintry weather - mostly snow at first but less wintry into thursday night and friday morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer

Flintshire have closed all schools tomorrow ahead of what now looks a patchy rain/sleet/snow affair. 

It could be a snowday for the staff and kids in just a normal, but cold, wet and miserable day. 

On the other hand it could be a whiteout. Doesn't look like it at the moment but in the past last minute changes have corrected back to original model predictions from a few days earlier. 

Anyway we will know soon enough. 

I'm travelling from Llandudno to Wrexham tomorrow morning. I'm expecting the train to be running as normal. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Should be seasonal!

Cold, torrential, rain here.. 🤮

• Thanks 1

Posted

What a fail, despite my height and mountains it’s wind and rain. Looks like rain even higher up than me

• Like 1

Posted

The4Seasons The down dwelling drives cold air down to surface  ,so current temperature are irrelevant. The strength of of the spilt is important  the rapid  polar vortex split will be quite dramatic,Expect zonal wind  reversal mid month across Europe 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Just sleety rain here.

Posted

andy989

Lets us know what your getting in the amber warning..

We were in the yellow warning here..

Ok so this is what we got its a shame as the east wind was really strong but..

Grab my graupels..mixed in with cold rain..

A mini dusting of graupel..

Temp earlier was 2.5c now its 2c..

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted

Snowyowl9 so far it’s been rain,  not even sleet and now there’s nothing falling from the sky. Usually do very well on account of my location and height 

Posted

andy989

And your right in the zone snowdonia...

The big March snow event was a weird one too but at least that gave a huge amount inbetween the freezing rain middle section..which was really nasty..

Posted

Extremely marginal even for high ground, the low cloud has cleared enough for me to see up to the summit behind my house, no white on mountain I live on (Elidir fawr) not even on the summit of 3031ft. However the mountain next door and Snowdon has snow down to fairly low level,  all are within a mile from me. Seems I’m just on the edge. No precipitation falling atm. 

Edited by andy989
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Jeez. These last 2 winters have been horrendous. Maybe it's my age but i'm starting to properly hate this season. And before anyone says "you can't change the weather", i know that but doesn't mean i have to like it. 

Maybe this year feels even worse because of the dreadful Spring and Summer last year. We desperately need a prolonged dry spell now. The odd dry weeks we've had are not drying things out enough. The 1st downpour, like today, then everything is saturated again and it feels like you're back to square one.

We now have a late season SSW to look forward too, i really hope that doesn't mean a cold and dull spring again. Or maybe its the only way we can get a proper dry spell now. 

Edited by Cwmbran Eira
  • Like 1

Posted

Hardly anything on the mountains. Raining at my house 175m asl. 

IMG_20240208_094733_edit_574725584216988.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted

The cold rain did turn to big flakes of snow for a short time just before 10 as it turned much heavier..Sleet overall but upper air temp were too high to begin with and it didn t get that cold yesterday last night...

• Like 1

Posted

Sleet when I went to walk a dog in the rain in Chirk.  Midway through walk, wet snow Chirk.   Back home steady snow settling a bit but looking at meto ap and radar should be lightening up and turning to rain in the next hour.  Another dog to walk more locally but my hill bound human clients a no go.  

IMG_0566.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Well, no snow in Flint. Councils decision to close schools looks to have backfired. 

IMG_20240208_103037_edit_577210447457755.jpg

Posted

Must have been a much bigger push north of the milder air, for even the mountains to be struggling. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
12 hours ago, The4Seasons said:

Hey good luck for tomorrow's snow events up there mate 🙂. If you get lucky share us some photos from your beautiful part of the world. As for my area another yellow warning for a rain drenching is in force.  I really cannot wait for spring to arrive. This dull muck has been endless. Luckily today we had a pause ⏸ 😄. So far this winter I have managed to see and record a 1 cm dusting of snow from when I posted here back on the 8 Jan. Plus have recorded -7c and -6 so it's not all doom and gloom 😀 . I am hoping we get 1 last chance before spring takes hold of something good 🌨❄☃️. That would be nice. 

Snow? What snow?? Just cold rain here with blustery winds at 4 C and set to rise.☹️ Even from what I can see up Crib Nantlle, there's no sign of snow. It's been going that way for the last 48 hours, so it's not really a surprise and quite frankly, it would have been a very brief snow cover anyway if it had come off. Even the rain has only yielded a few mm's so far but with the centre of the low sticking round for a while and seemingly 'turning on it's heels' so to speak, that might still tot up by tomorrow. Quite agree that it's time for something more springlike to arrive!! Just surprised about the MetO missing rain warnings twice now in my area but going gang-hoo now and I fail to see compelling evidence for them. Maybe it's just my location (as usual!) or something is still to come that only they can see??🤔

• Thanks 1

Posted

1st signs of snow on journey - Buckley

IMG_20240208_105702.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Latest in non snowy Caerphilly rain everyday this month

Rain Today:17.4 mm

Rain Rate (/hr):1.80 mm

Rain Yesterday:0.4 mm

Storm Rain:17.4 mm

This Month:72.6 mm

Season Total:234.8 mm

8 rain days in February.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Caergwrle - fairly heavy snow, just starting to stick

IMG_20240208_110708.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Looking good concerning strat warming ,powerful warming timing hard to predict anytime from mid month onwards.

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

keithlucky don’t kid yourself and others mate. It’s extremely unlikely to have any effect on us the way you would like it , best just accept winters just about over now and wish for Spring to come , hopefully it may be a bit more interesting 😂💤💤

• Like 1