Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

2 questions for the much more knowledgeable members. Are the models seeing the SSW and feeding it into the outputs for mid mid month as a rapid reponse? 2. if not is there a chance that any response wipes out the upcoming nwp charts we are starting to see for mid month, luck has not been on our side recently with regard SSW effects. 

Posted

A little change in how cold it’s going to be now Wednesday night into thursday. Seems it’s starting to show the temp’s falling as we get closer to middle part of next week. I hope that low arrives through the night and delivers over a foot a snow.. Not asking for much.. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Really wet out already and the forecast for the next 30 hours or so looks horrendous for the northern half of the country.  

Kayak at the ready.

My drum's worn out but I'll keep beating it - if this rain was forecast for south England, there'd be more than a yellow warning.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Just had a very weird "there's something wrong with my eyesight" moment while hopefully looking for snow on xc weather. Sure enough for Friday, xc weather appeared to be gifting Falkirk a snow bounty, I blinked and it turned to rain, blinked again thinking "must have been wishful thinking" and it was back to snow, oh then rain again, then snow, then rain etc. At this point I started looking suspiciously at the cup of tea Mr Snowidea had made me wondering if he'd found some dodgy tea bags from way back. In order to retain my sanity (and keep the marriage harmonious) I decided to screenshot the forecast twice. To my relief it does appear to be switching between snow and rain every couple of seconds. Definitely hedging its bets. 

Screenshot_20240204-102205.png

Screenshot_20240204-102202.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

XC rarely shows snow for here, even when it's actually snowing, so I'm always baffled by the competitive XC watch you guys indulge in.

I also have to be careful when I open it as there's a strip across the bottom that shows my recent ebay views 🥴 

• Like 5

Posted

M1245 looks likely it's missing us altogether cold and dry for many Tuesday onwards winds nne 

• Like 2

Posted

Wild wet and windy here again this morning Glad we got 90% of hay deliveries done yesterday. Colder air seems to getting into Shetland tonight with a few wintry flurries  but its currently 7c here

• Like 5

Posted

We seem to be getting good shelter from the mountains today, bar an isolated shower yesterday it's been dry 0.6mm since the 26th January according to the  Sepa site, 9c today might be the highest we see for a while. 

Edited by drm
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Has there been an update to the Netweather community layout today? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.

Hairy Celt

5 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

if this rain was forecast for south England, there'd be more than a yellow warning.

spot on 👍 and I live in the south. Last yellow warning for wind in my area was warranted though tbf my dustbin lid blow open 🤭

Anyhow thankfully I’m back up North of Inverness Friday for 8 days and hopefully see some snow like my epic week 3 weeks ago up there ❄️ 

once again the Scottish regional thread is my go to page guys 👍 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

snowidea  I get that too recently on xc. Thursday has snow one second, rain the next and just keeps alternating.

Nice day here today. Bright at 9C with Westerly breeze.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, drm said:

Has there been an update to the Netweather community layout today? 

drm Yes - a new theme. If you want to change it back or choose a different theme, browse the 'themes' menu at the very bottom of the page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

M1245 though they have temps at 4C here which is too high for snow. They always seem to ne too high in any cold weather 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

XC rarely shows snow for here, even when it's actually snowing, so I'm always baffled by the competitive XC watch you guys indulge in.

Cos it's fun, as long as you treat it as fantasy snowfall levels, as it changes every run. 

Decent weekend here, dry, sometimes sunny, bit breezy at times. High of around 7.5C both days, loss only a degree or two below that. Looking colder from mid week, but despite what XC weather says at times, no idea how much snowfall we'll get. 

• Like 4

Posted

I really hope our southern friends get more than what's shown 

Screenshot_20240204_181807.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

It’s official, I live inside a perpetual hurricane. Crazy wind and rain all day again. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Cos it's fun, as long as you treat it as fantasy snowfall levels, as it changes every run.

Yeah but it only shows boring weather for me 🤪

19 minutes ago, drm said:

I really hope our southern friends get more than what's shown 

Screenshot_20240204_181807.jpg

Shouldn't laugh really

😆😆😆

• Like 6

Posted

Lovely looking nonsense forecast from yr.no (ECM) 😜

Screenshot_20240204-184617.thumb.png.effdded508c566614c65d580f9f7f8df.png

image.png.d3f501fac09b824f06e6dc47736c0e2f.png.6d7539159abe38adbe0e71e263d1492f.png

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 8

Posted

I have managed to stay clear of any forecasts and models due to the absolute OCD I developed over the last cold spell , a few folks have mentioned snow this week coming so my curiosity has nearly gotten the better of me but I haven’t cracked yet 

• Like 6

Posted

aggy good idea I'd say by Tuesday there will be some agreement on the 4 days to follow like the Golden Shot in the mad thread at the moment, my thoughts are still it's a hill snow event the next round is the main meal this is a pretty poor starter so far the 16th /17th main meal time 🍴🍴🤞🤞⛄⛄

• Like 4

Posted

The rain eased of to patchy drizzle with the odd heavier burst for the afternoon but started up again HD style at about 5. Currently moderate to heavy. Must be bad further west.

Current forecast gives us another 20 hours of this.

• Like 2

Posted

Decent day overall here with the rain only arriving around 9pm.

Max of 8c, generally light winds and some hazy sunshine - especially in the morning.

image.thumb.png.71902eb736e832902edd8dec31c726f9.png

Lots of snowdrops in full bloom up at Castle Fraser and even the grass looks to have started a little bit of growth.

image.thumb.png.a8676550fa411489db7b04356dd9b6b6.png

• Like 5

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-01 08:45:04 Valid: 01/05/2024 0600 - 02/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - 01-02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F