Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

TillyS  Yes Ben Wyvis. Looks like a much better day up that way.
Here cold, misty and damp with drizzly rain this afternoon.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

Here cold, misty and damp with drizzly rain this afternoon.

“dreich” ? 😉 

Love that word.

I’ve been very lucky so far with two lovely days. Tomoz looks like we’ll be catching your weather further north here.

I never knew Inverness was so lovely. I love this country. Wish I had a lot more Scottish blood in me than I do (c.40-50%).

• Like 8

Posted

Mingin’ about sums it up today. Thick haar, the drive home around familiar back roads was like being in a different and strange landscape. Visibility was awful. 

7c/7c

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Gentle drizzle with the odd semi-sunny spell. Boring more than anything else.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The day started frosty and clear but went through dreich into minging by teatime.  

@TillyS Ben Wyvis dominates the northern views from around here - for locals, that view is kind of burnt into your visual memory!  It used to be white fairly reliably from October to March but not any more. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The weather continues to ming this morning. Absolutely rancid. You'd think a 'warm sector' could provide something better than this!!

• Like 7

Posted

Pea soup again here tonight. Can barely see a cars length in front. Was using sat nav to see how close I was to the junctions. (All single track roads). 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Dull wet murky and tad milder all rather underwhelming 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Damp despite not raining, 7C, patchy mist, some of it quite thick. Boring. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Miserable morning light rain misty and dark. One of the most prolonged wet winters I can remember.

On another cheerful note price of wheat has halved in the last 18 months, Where are the adverts showing the falling price of bread?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted

Very mild, grey, damp, no wind and very thick fog which is now lifting. Horrible!

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Finally emerging after Mr Covid paid a unwelcome visit last weekend - nasty little blighter..

Calm, overcast and some spits of rain in the wind - currently 7c.

Was reading about the drought situation in the med and went over the European Drought Observatory - really surprised to see they are still recording a moisture deficit across a lot of Western Scotland...

image.thumb.png.2b405e8905037a28cb86c1d7a70db170.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Quinach apparently returning to normal conditions here yet it's been soggy for months 🤣 I guess they must have testing lower down in the soil or estimated it from the rainfall stats. Doesn't feel like it's been dry here though! 

I'm other news, pea soup with drizzle, mist and fog for the last few days. We managed a few glimpses of sunshine at lunchtime today. It feels very much like spring now. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

What a very nice day...plenty of sunshine with a little bit of warmth thrown in for good measure...you could say Spring has sprung.

As much as it pains me to say I think we could be done for this winter, the outlook towards the end of the month is dire for cold, into March its not looking much better.

I'd be more than pleased if I was wrong.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Nice day here too at least up to lunchtime. Feeling Springlike at 12.5C and sunny but by late afternoon 7.5C with mostly cloudy skies and light showers.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Quinach Certainly does not seem dry here with a very wet morning clearing a bit this afternoon. soils  here are saturated . I have  never  seen such a prolonged period in winter with such damp humid weather. By now   we are usually starting to see the odd dryer day.  The east coast of Scotland has really seen some rain this winter. I wonder if the Hunga Tonga volcano has finally had an effect on the weather patterns in the Northern Hemisphere particularly with regard to the huge amounts of water blasted into and beyond the upper atmosphere.

WWW.BBC.COM

The eruption of Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai produced one of the most extreme lightning storms ever and it has given scientists a unique glimpse into the volcano's secrets.

Even the waterlogged banks of the tarred roads can trap cars that venture onto them.

• Like 7

Posted

Yep, worst winter for rain I can remember here in Aberdeenshire. So much so, our neighbour has decided to pack in farming altogether. He's in his late 70s but planned on carrying on until he couldn't. He seemed relieved to be able to finally relax but not sure he'll know what to do with himself when the last float heads away down the farm road next week. 

Quite pleasant outside at the moment though, flat calm with the odd star visible. Had too much wine beside the fire pit already! 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

There's a patch of grass near home that I cut across several times a week and I've never know it so continuously sodden. It's not at the mudbath stage but on its way.

Also there's not been enough dry days together for it to be worth giving fruit trees the oily wash for greenfly this winter. Normally I'd be doing the 2nd about now. Not a good prospect for the trees,

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Quinach I think the white for us here is correct. No drought. On one of the roads to work there’s been what I can only describe as a ford between the two fields bordering the road. On the plus side I got a free jet wash yesterday when a van passed at the same time as me. Couldn’t see a thing though for a few seconds. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Kayemill We have a similar ford only thing is it consists  mostly of slurry washed off the field   sticks like glue to the car and  smells awful this from a farmer quite happy with the smell of dung   (Cow poo mixed with bedding straw) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Mild pleasant day yesterday mostly dry until rain arrived early evening. Pic caught the approaching weather front nicely.

F08C3315-D298-46E1-81FF-F3F5157D64EE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A calm, sunny 10C here this morning,. Bit of a contrast from a greyer, breezier much cooler feeling day yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1