Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted

Clear blue skies and strong spring  winter sunshine which feels pleasant. Yesterday was similar but with a bit more cloud. it's still very muddy underfoot. It would be nice if we could get this every day for at least a few weeks 😎

As @Northernlights mentioned winter isn't finished yet, and there is still the risk of some snow for the next couple of months... This winter has been a reminder to stay grounded when it comes to cold/snow forecasts in this country. The charts looked very cold from early December with many comments of 1947/63 in the model thread which I thankfully ignored after 20 years of experience on here 🤣 (although the north did well and we managed some snow here so I can't complain too much)  If we hadn't got that 3 or 4 inch fall early December I would be disappointed though particularly with the bust early Jan where the front went south. 

• Like 7

Posted

Beautiful day today, clear blue sky, felt the warmth of the sun walking the dog, spring is stirring. This horrow show of a non winter can do one now, Roll on summer. Lovely stuff

• Like 6

Posted

JoeShmoe

Kind of sums it up for me . Tragic winter for most of the UK , perhaps only parts of the Highlands would give this winter a pass mark.  Despite the hype, background signals ..ssw etc  Its been utter manure.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 hours ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Minus 6 yesterday morning then a glorious day until heavy showers late afternoon, very icy this morning with loads black ice but sunny skies although clouds gathering to the west heralding the coming change   Good covering of snow on higher hills prob above 2000 ft

Your powers of observation must be failing you as apparently winter is over! 🤪

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Nice and sunny in Dundee this morning after a frosty start. Up to Aberdeen pm for a couple of days. Bright ints up here too and cool this evening but no frost at least so far. Rain forecast later tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A glorious weekend up here, wall to wall blue skies and frosty mornings! Big change now! Rained a bit during the night, but has cleared up a bit now, so I guess that's Winter just aboot done wi', such as it was. Am hopeful of a pleasant spring and let's just wait and see what, ahem, Summer holds for us! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well, I just had to eh?

Screenshot 2024-02-27 155022.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Respectable couple of days with good spells of sunshine and just a few fleeting showers.  Frosty overnight, max today 6.5c with a stiff SW wind in the morning.

Crocuses and Miniature Iris now in full bloom, a little earlier than last year..

Screenshot_20240227-213341.thumb.png.8ecc166c59d76b359beb3c12c1d900bb.png

Kids this evening exploring the chance of missing school tomorrow thanks to the spring show up at Thainstone.  The suggestion got short shrift...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A really blustery day here, now abated.  Barely any of the showers reached this far.  And now the temp's dropping away again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very windy day with a rotten old ash tree felled by the wind. But its been the first really drying day so far this year with the ground surface becoming dusty in some areas a   magnificent sight. Cool  all day  and temperature on the way down currently 2c

• Like 5

Posted

Well that’s a wrap on meteorological winter. My brief local wintry summary:

11 air frosts (4 Dec, 5 Jan, 2 Feb)
1 ice day
No lying snow

Nothing too surprising for my mild location. What’s been more notable is that on the back of a very wet October and November, it’s been a dreary 5 months of wind and rain. Certainly the most protracted spell of poor weather since I moved here in 2005.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Welcome to the first day of spring, winter  says hold on and delivers a bitter start to the day as it's -5c at the moment with frost sparkling on the grass.  Calm conditions and beautiful clear blue skies.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Absolutely beautiful start to spring! -3c and blue skies. Fantastic! 

Shame it's looking likely to nosedive into rain and sleety pish later 🫣

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

6 years ago today popped up in my memories this morning! 
snow drifts as high as the hedges. This was the road to the stables where I kept my horse at the time and we actually climbed through this snow ⛄️ 

IMG_6156.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Squall line right now in Embra, absolutely lashing it down, and as it’s from the NE it’s loud (hitting windows at angles it doesn’t usually !)

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Very heavy hail here at the minute! Everything briefly white. 

Edit: Now turned to heavy sleety pish! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Posted (edited)

The temperature here rose  this evening and 10 minutes ago was 4.3C.  Rain started, turned heavy and within minutes turned to sleet with temps dropping 2 degrees. Easing off a little now but still a bit sleety.

Anyone else have a quite dramatic orange/red sky earlier?  Thought that was a prediction of fair weather.

Just as I am away to post heavier and sleety again.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
4 hours ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

As for me, I am off to Les Menuires in the 3 valleys tomorrow.

Insanely jealous, enjoy it, and if your ski bag is a bit overweight, I haven't snuck into it, honest. We're definitely heading across the channel with the motorhome for the first two weeks of April, whether we head to the Alps to try to get a few days skiing in depends on whether we think it's going to be worth the effort. That'll largely depend on snow conditions. 

Decent day here today, lots of sun, little wind, dog walk felt warm at times even if temp was only mid single figures. 

• Like 4

Posted

Scottish-Irish Skier

Have been to Val Thorens previously so can say that you would be guaranteed snow in the area and some pretty exciting skiing. We were there in March and the level snow was about 7 feet with the recent individual winter falls being identifiable where the road had been ploughed. While there we had one heavy fall and also experiences diamond dust in bright sunshine in very cold air up top.

Incidentally I have skied Schladming twice with great conditions and Bad Gastein once so you were maybe unlucky. Schladming also had the bar that was open all night where you could go for a pizza (or more beer) when the night club closed. At least one person in our group who shall remain nameless (but may be known to at least one person that reads this) went straight to skiing from that pub one morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very wet morning taking  ground conditions to square one Snow down to about 750 feet as we delivered hay inland.. Brighter afternoon but cool currently  2c with clear intervals.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1