Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Consistency with the GFS at D11-12 with the Iberian ridge firing up:

gfseu-0-288.thumb.png.dc7cccacf0d2ca51b75a850c7e4f5f5d.pnggfseu-0-282.thumb.png.28f18bb52c27848670aeacc869b8b914.png

0z and 06z^^^

Pretty awful background signals forcing this.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.17b9bc2634f66442af71ecba184470f4.png

image.thumb.png.2c87aa6ecde74fe542793311b0b0c556.png

We say about the lack of cold but get the HP in the right place and you just never know eh? I appreciate I am running out of straws but I have a few left to pick 🙂 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
13 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

12z deterministic runs, Wed 7th to Tue 13th (day 7)

I'm not sure what I'd been expecting to see next from the deterministic model runs, but it wasn't this. First we had the GFS start unexpectedly sending our low north and the other models then following suit, and now we have the GFS begin following this up with mild southwesterlies only for some of the other models to start showing that too. If deterministic runs out to day 7 were the only output you could see, and you'd not seen any longer-range ensemble or seasonal output or heard any professional or amateur teleconnections-based forecasts, then I don't think you would look at these charts and think that significant high- or even mid-latitude blocking is what's coming next. And yet it still could be, which is why we keep watching!

animyhe1.gifanimsvo0.gifanimxaa2.gif
animjrt2.gifanimxne2.gifanimwvi2.gif

12z ensemble means, Wed 7th to Wed 21st (day 15)

After initially looking like they may be going nowhere, these ensemble means do, between them, just about manage to deliver the signals for Scandinavian and then Greenland blocking that we've become accustomed to seeing over the past few days, with ECM the most convincing. The Atlantic trough seems to be looking more and more menacing with each new set of runs, though it is nonetheless impressive for us still to get to day 15 without it taking over on these mean charts.

animitm6.gifanimidx9.gifanimklu6.gif

0z deterministic runs, Wed 7th to Wed 14th (day 7)

Most of these runs are showing long-fetch southwesterly winds either reaching, or very close to the UK by the end of week 1, and given the trend over the last couple of days, I wouldn't be too surprised to see that verify, although you can see on the UKMO and GEM that there is a possibly of either weak high pressure or weak low pressure sitting in the way of that southwesterly flow.

animtrn2.gifanimfyl8.gifanimsfa3.gif
animgmr1.gifanimqoe3.gifanimnje3.gif

0z ensemble means, Wed 7th to Thu 22nd (day 15)

The models still think that we are likely to see rising heights over the UK and to our east that will prevent the Atlantic trough from advancing into us in week 2, but nonetheless that trough continues to look more influential with each new set of runs. Significant height rises to our northeast and later our northwest seem to be less well represented amongst the members of all three ensembles this morning than in recent runs, and you can see that from 21st Feb (admittedly very late in the run), a return to Atlantic low pressure systems seems to be well represented, though I wouldn't yet say "expected".

animdyd2.gifanimdcg1.gifanimztf5.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Don Personally as said I haven't found it at all accurate after maybe the first week and a bit...will be about as accurate as some seasonal models for this Feb including GLOSEA...all about to fail miserably.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

To be fair there is a lot of uncertainty (spread) within the latest GEFS dragging the mean down.

ens_image-2.thumb.png.98fa5a0b2972243d5d6527fe4856ee97.png

The mean chart for D10, as an illustration, shows a chance of a Scandi High is still vaguely on the table.

GFSAVGEU06_240_1.thumb.png.21ebfb99074d51000d460f84a1bce5e1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

All models seem to be all over the place at moment still think an easterly could pop up soon with an increase snow risk for eastern areas in next couple of weeks .

Edited by Scandinavian High.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Purga It's certainly there amongst the members, it's almost favoured even, but then have a look at the 850hPa temps it would bring in, there's not a lot of purple on show:

image.thumb.png.9a192b3cf693e7664da568cfc03a96d4.pngimage.thumb.png.4c49b3c7fe9d785b0dd43d8dc3e6a5bb.png

• Like 1

Posted

The mjo going "backwards" really hasn't helped the chance of high lat blocking in mid February,

We really need it in 8, gfs and cfs just about do it later on in the month, (ecm hasn't updated today) but I wouldn't hold my breath about it making it,

Relying on a ssw to deliver is just pot luck, on how the deck falls after the event happens.

To add insult to injury, the snow for tomorrow has shifted 50 miles north on the overnight runs. I live in-between the a45 and M6 boxes on the map.

Even as one of the most optimistic coldies, this winter is wearing me down.

GEFS_BC (5).png

NCFS (6).png

Screenshot_20240207-114019.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.f5ca5ecddd7ae691ff4128bacf6dcfd7.png        image.thumb.png.07ebf7f7d40437455d0439a0db441e9f.png

image.thumb.png.bcba12ac1e32dfa43f1fb40d7154f8da.png       image.thumb.png.1e0c0e728cbbb0983dd3f574a3f566ac.png

Just some charts that don't look especially great but there is cold around, maybe the expectation has gone through the roof this season. I still think we will get a cold spell of sorts with some snow around 

• Like 3

MJB These patterns may be on offer but as it’s been the case through this season these charts are always 9 or 10 days out and they have rarely come to fruitation. Going on todays charts if we are going to honest we have seen a downgrade to what was some days ago. I think 🤔 the way things are going the expectation is that eventually Met Office will adjust their update accordingly. Keeping in mind that we don’t get another sudden upgrade in the next day or so.

regards 

• Like 4

Posted

E17boy It's also been touted mid Feb. ish, but the weather isn't running to a UK timetable 🙂 , it can be delayed, the 46 has pushed for blocking mid Feb onwards, that is being shown on ECM and GFS and in the Met text forecast.

Let's just see where we go...........................no one has bad luck forever 🙂 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Good afternoon,

After recovering from watching the woeful output this morning, I would like to add a positive note. Taking the EC at 168h of this morning, there is not a lot of "effort" needed to get a Scandiblock. A bit of proper WAA and the block should be there. The models are stalling a bit in getting the cold where we want it. It doesn't mean it won't get there, but every day the chance of a serious cold spell is decreasing. At day 10 a Block is present. But in the wrong place. A bit more West would be nice. 

ECMOPEU00_168_1.png

ECMOPEU00_240_1 (3).png

Edited by AO-
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Downburst said:

There is the North Atlantic and the South

On global scale yes but most of “North Atlantic” is not especially relevant to NW Europe at higher latitudes. Vast majority of that anomaly is coming from lower latitudes. Waters to our north, east and west are not unusually warm therefore the idea all wind flows are excessively mild is false. It’s southwest flows which are very mild and even milder. 

IMG_1792.thumb.png.f641b8d182528c1fd656271c2d1a2bb7.png

• Like 5

Posted

Much better ecm o6z at T144. Scandi high much better positioned and orientated to advect proper cold our way. 

gensnh-0-1-144.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

blizzard81

Hopefull that the 12z runs can salvage something from a pretty dire change of output over the last 24 hours or so. 

Not one to throw the towel in early especially with a fair few background drivers in our favour but we need to start seeing something soon! Show us the 🍯 ❄️🌨.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Meto not backing down something from the east could get interesting soon let’s see what models show later.

• Like 4

Posted

Scandinavian High.

Just read it, hardly an inspiring update. We needs cold/snow from E / NE not 'colder conditions COULD develop in the east' and 'high pressure extending from mainland Europe' ( in other words a cold bartlett 😂) 🙄. Too late in the day for a slow burner I'm afraid.

• Like 4

Scandinavian High. yes METO have not backed away from colder conditions, which I thought they will after this mornings horror show. Looks like high pressures over the east will have influence next week eventually pegging temperatures down. Atlantic weather trying to encroach at times but with this high to our east does not look like any inroad progress. More emphasis is on drier weather. Longer term outlook still emphasising colder conditions could develop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1