Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

ECM backing the trend of an Atlantic trough in the run up to Easter..cant see anything out there that hints of a warm dry easter weekend, still time for a change but the trend isnt wonderful.

ECMOPEU12_216_1-2.png

• Like 3

Posted

Cambrian Good post. This scenario has by and large played out since July, brief drier incursions, the odd very brief northerly, but by and large an omnipresent deep trough has sat either to our west, or SW, pulling in either mild southerly sourced air or more often than not dank south westerly/westerly airstreams, with the north at times tapping into a cooler source as the jet sinks south.

Still a long way off, but the models continue to show a rather unsettled outlook in the run up to easter after a chilly northerly this weekend. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Startling differences between ecm and gfs at day ten......

ecmt850.240-4.png

h850t850eu-53.webp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

ECM going the route of 'the only way is the Norwegian Sea' and the effects of heights over the near continent just too much for any low pressure (saying that has been the way for some time)...my money is on the ECM being closer to the mark and the first run of late GFS has gone to sustain heights to the north from the shorth northerly.

Roll on Spring I say...who wants cold now?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
10 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

0z deterministic runs, out to Mon 25th (day 7)

The northerly looks quite nippy for this weekend.

animkxl8.gifanimwas3.gifanimyfx7.gif

0z ensemble means, out to Tue 2nd (day 15)

The signal is unfortunately clear and consistent for a "big trough" arriving later next week...

animhfl7.gifanimdih9.gifanimsip6.gif

12z deterministic runs, out to Mon 25th (day 7)

The "wedgyness" shown by some of the models this afternoon - particularly GFS (which I can see as of writing this is going the same way on its 18z run) - is a curiosity, but judging from the ensemble means seen below, it looks doomed to come to nothing.

animtyd4.gifanimlok7.gifanimqkl1.gif
animxdb9.gifanimtvu7.gifanimtib3.gif

12z ensemble means, out to Tue 2nd (day 15)

No change to the prognosis for the last week of March - just look at that trough!

animyhm2.gifanimnxm9.gifanimwls0.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Bats32  At the timeframe we are looking at you would expect some wild variations thrown up by the ops but like you say GFS been pretty unrelenting in the Atlantic trough dominating Easter weekend. 00z mean below a carbon copy of yesterdays ECM I posted.

GFSAVGEU00_252_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

Much colder next mid week from GFS 

image.thumb.png.00168d55b13eef6e9397638b542be0be.png

Quite different from ECM

image.thumb.png.16733e224d0c157dddf77d62f17a851d.png

UKMO in 7 days

image.thumb.png.d3e00909b978e2567eeee469d910ccd8.png

Looks a miserable Easter 

Edited by MJB
  • Like 2

Posted

Why people are writing Easter off and it's over ten days away is beyond me when model accuracy is five day maximum. The charts I've posted this morning for Good Friday will change drastically and look nothing like the charts this morning come Good Friday. 😂

h850t850eu-54.webp

ecmt850-43.webp

• Like 5

Posted

ANYWEATHER I don’t think anyone is writing Easter but it’s an unrelenting pattern of Atlantic dominance being shown. The only good thing I can see is it looks like there is not going to be a repeat of the spring drought in southern Europe like last year. 

• Like 1

Posted

Alderc 2.0 it’s not the fact that it may or not happen , just the fact that some members are referring to 10days plus away as reliable……

• Like 1

Posted

Too far to be sure what Easter will bring but the ECMWF is a fairly good indicator of both upper air and surface along with 850 temperatures. It only goes out to Maundy Thursday but not a bad idea to follow each subsequent update from now

00_ECMWF_ENS_p0_500hPa+144_240.gif

And of course the 500 mb NOAA Anomaly charts the 6-10 out to the same day and the 8-14 over the Easter weekend. This just for an idea of where the main upper air features look like being. 

It does, at the moment look like an upper trough will be close to the UK with the 500 flow coming from just north of west.

Time will tell, as always, the accuracy of the above charts

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I simply can't believe our endless bad luck. 9 months of endless dull, wet gloom and now the models are showing one of the worst Easters on record.

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I simply can't believe our endless bad luck. 9 months of endless dull, wet gloom and now the models are showing one of the worst Easters on record.

How can you make a post like this when we are ten days + to Easter?? Bit premature to be writing off Easter when there is no reliable weather data  at the moment to verify what the weather will actually be...!☺

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

ANYWEATHER Just seems to be showing again and again on most model runs, I guess.

Posted

Summer8906

So where in Hampshire do you live. I'm sure the weather stats for Bournemouth are nothing like as bad as your post suggests?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
14 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

12z deterministic runs, out to Mon 25th (day 7)

The "wedgyness" shown by some of the models this afternoon - particularly GFS (which I can see as of writing this is going the same way on its 18z run) - is a curiosity, but judging from the ensemble means seen below, it looks doomed to come to nothing.

animtyd4.gifanimlok7.gifanimqkl1.gif
animxdb9.gifanimtvu7.gifanimtib3.gif

12z ensemble means, out to Tue 2nd (day 15)

No change to the prognosis for the last week of March - just look at that trough!

animyhm2.gifanimnxm9.gifanimwls0.gif

0z deterministic runs, out to Tue 26th (day 7)

GFS and ICON are still finding height rises to mix things up a little at the beginning of next week.

animedj8.gifanimtyd9.gifanimdgh3.gif
animrof1.gifanimgsr3.gifanimzqo4.gif

0z ensemble means, out to Wed 3rd (day 15)

The one bit of hope to cling to is that the trough signal seems to peak just before the start of the actual Easter weekend. The GEFS is as keen as the GFS on the idea of "wedgyness" after the northerly this weekend, perhaps slowing the trough down a bit.

animvpt1.gifanimfss6.gifanimxei0.gif

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 2

Posted

ANYWEATHER Who has written off Easter?  The discussion is the constant there of an Atlantic trough to the west in the build up to the weekend as shown by the models and being discussed in the model thread. This forum would be pretty boring if we could only discuss model output for 1 day ahead!

• Like 1

Posted

KTtom at the same time the mad thread gets a bit monotonous when discussing weeks in advance which we know won’t happen 😊

Posted

ANYWEATHER totally agree when someone posts a rogue BFTE when the last 15 runs have all being mild but, I say again, the discussion you seem to have taken exception to was a trend of an overall pattern which has been a regular theme over the last few days, agree, detail will change but the overall pattern being shown does match the Mets forecast.

• Like 2

Posted

johnholmes  Well actually they are, nearly 100mm of rain and only about 40hrs of sun. Off the back of the dull and wet February it’s been really grim for the last 7 wks. 

• Like 3

Posted

johnholmes Bournemouth is in Dorset which is sunnier than Hampshire. Also on the Coast inland Hampshire has had a horrific time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1