Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Pick your Groundhog year of weather to relive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

If you had to live the exact same year's weather again (Groundhog day style) which year from the past would you choose and why? 

This is a whole year's weather (UK)  from your lifetime you would happily repeat again and again for 3 years straight. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

2003 or 2022

• Like 2

Posted

MattStoke 2018 was good until August, the rest of the year was rather average with another mild end of the year.

2010 or 1996 for me calandar year wise.. rolling 12 months Mar 95 to Feb 96.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

1995 no arguments 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

2018 I'd say, but it fell off by August and into Autumn. The Rolling period of September 2017 to August 2018 is how I would put it as my favourite i've experienced.

1911, 1921, 1947 or 1959, If there was a repeat of those 4 years in modern times, those would be by far my picks. Maybe 1947 out of those for the most variety between winter and summer.

• Like 1

Posted

cheeky_monkey On reflection I'll go with 1995 as a whole, Jan and Feb were a washout, but the rest of the year was very varied with a largely blocked atlantic. This continued through 1996 but with less extremes, and into 1997.

• Like 2

Posted

2010.  Mainly for the December and to a lesser extent January, but June was also a very good summer month and I'd happily sacrifice the poor July & August for such an unusual winter.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

1976,I was only 4 so obviously can't remember but what a fantastic summer that must have been for summer lovers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

DTHFCJ I agree, DTHFCJ. . . Not only was 1976 the best summer I've ever known, there was more snow (not difficult) either side of it, than in any recent year.

• Like 2

Posted

Methuselah Would have loved to be older than I was,I'm not a fan of snow tbh,but from what you have said it must have been a cracker of a year, with both summer and winter providing the sunshine and the snow coyS 

• Like 1

Posted

DTHFCJ I wouldn't be too sure about that; we got relegated in 1977! 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Of recent years March 2014 to February 2015 not a bad shout

Posted

Methuselah I honestly didn't know that!but being a Spurs fan I tend to skip anything negative 😆

• Like 1

Posted

DTHFCJ I was on my honeymoon back then: listening to Spurs lose, on the radio, didn't go down too well!

• Like 1

Posted

Methuselah Yes I can imagine!! But at least we've had some better times since then,I blame my Dad for my love of the Spurs now my two lads blame me my wife is a Liverpool fan,only told me after we got married 😆

• Like 1

Posted

DTHFCJ Thank goodness supporting Spurs is a family tradition, the North London connection and all that. It's almost a family tradition. . . My grandson (who's football mad) is on the books of Inverness Caledonian Thistle. And, guess who his second team is? 👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

2018, had everything you'd want, sunshine at the right times, snow in winter, u name it.

• Like 1

Posted

Methuselah my Dad was born east London and myself west,my son's love the Spurs,they were both born in Wales so it's a long old trek to go up to see the Spurs,but hats off to them they go whenever they can,all the best to your grandson hope he makes it, and who knows he might just turn out for the Spurs one day!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Probably 1995 would come top.

Others: 1989, 1996, and 2003.

DTHFCJ Autumn looked like it sucked, big time, though.

The terrible autumn would mean that 1976 would not be in contention.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

On reflection I'll go with 1995 as a whole, Jan and Feb were a washout, but the rest of the year was very varied with a largely blocked atlantic.

Indeed, 1995 had just four dodgy months: Jan, Feb, Sep and Nov (and Sep and Nov weren't terrible).

I've said this before but if you take 1995 and you replace Jan, Feb, Sep and Nov with the equivalent months from 1985, it would be a perfect year for my tastes.

1989 had an extremely mild (if dry) Jan, Feb-Apr were dodgy as was the second half of both Oct and Dec, so would be placed below 1995.

2003 had a dodgy May (which is a big minus), an unsettled start and end to July and an iffy November; less dodgy months than 1995 but critically, there was a poor summer month (May) in there. So 1995 edges it, however 2003 would surely be the year with the least number of objectionable months overall.

1996 was very "continental" which I liked though the summer wasn't outstandingly good so again would have to be below 1995.

Honourable mention to 2010 for my favourite year with an iffy summer.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Insightful 1

Posted

damianslaw Re 2018, I'd differ on the more disliked months. Sep and particularly Oct 2018 were OK. Earlier in the year, April was distinctly poor, as was much of March aside from the two snow events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

For ones I can remember, torn between 2018 and 2022. 2018 had some really incredible moments but let down by a pretty horrible first half of spring and last 6 weeks of the year. 2022 was just consistently good if only exceptional in the second half of March, 2 weeks in July and the first half of August.

Looking further back, 2003 looked like a great year to live through. Lovely spring, classic summer and great September to boot.