Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Pick your Groundhog year of weather to relive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

1987, plenty of snow, thunder, wind and some heat at times. The year that started my interest in weather. 

Posted

damianslaw  Not if it’s a combination of April 2011, May 2020, June 2023, July 2018, August 2022, September 2023, October 2018, November 2010 and December 2010 🤪

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm
Posted (edited)

damianslaw For 2024 to recover from this to claim top spot we would need April 2011, May 2018, June 1976, July 1976, Aug 1995, etc finishing off with Nov and Dec 2010.

I'd settle for another Aug 1995. That's not been repeated since. It had a CET of 19.1C (warmest in the series)

A couple of years later we almost matched it with 19.0C in August 1997. Does anyone remember that summer month?

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see
  • Like 2

Posted

Oooooh I love mild, dull and wet weather so I would choose March 2023 to February 2024, but replace the May and June with 1983 and 2012 respectively, and have a first half of September swapped with 2008  

Joking, I want a 2022 repeat. Loved every minute of it bar February, September and November

Edited by baddie
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

August 1997 was the second warmest August on record with a CET of 19.0C and one of the warmest months on record. 

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/74839-hot-and-august-of-1997/?do=findComment&comment=2392896

I live in NW England. A good year is a dry one, and it is particularly important to me that March & September are good. So:

best year of my lifetime - 1973.

honourable mentions - 1997 & 2003, also liked 1969

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

1995 for me.

Although the early part was pretty rubbish, there was snow on the last Friday in January; and both February & March were un-remarkable. 

The early May B/H weekend was glorious, as was most of the summer, especially August. 

December had cold weather with frosts, and even some snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

2018, hands down. Just a great year all around for me weather-wise and personally.

I was too young to remember / care about any of the stellar years in the 90s. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

1963 for me: loads of the white stuff, and thunder was more common back then, too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Methuselah im just old enough to remember the summer of 1976..but i still put 1995 summer ahead of 1976 with 1983 a close third ..as for Spurs getting relegated in 1977 oh how we laughed ..until we got relegated the following season :drunk-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The first year that came to my mind was 2013 (then in Essex). Frequent snowfalls and cold temperatures from January into April. April and May were very changeable spring months and I recall some exceptional convective cloudscapes. Can't remember much of June. July and August were a corking core summer period. Think the rest of the year was okay; November was chilly.

A similar year was 2018 (then in Birmingham). Drifting snow and bitterly cold during late February/early March and of course later in March too. April started off exceptionally dull but later brought sunshine and temperatures well into the 20s. May was interesting as I witnessed flash-flooding for the first time after a two-hour thunderstorm. The summer was exceptional. Can't remember the rest of the year too well.

I guess 2010 as well though my memory isn't as good on this one.

Posted

Cold lovers would rank first half of 2013 highly, all 6 months below average, a rarity, then an abrupt change in July to hot and sunny and dry. August was ok. The autumn was wet though and Dec terrible, very mild and very wet and stormy.

July 13 marked a pivotal change from the colder more blocked southerly jet period that set in during May- June 07.. though the winter following was mild. We've been locked by and large into a mild period since. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 22/03/2024 at 21:51, damianslaw said:

2024 after 3 months probably already a non contender. 

Indeed. April will not be spectacular due to the dire first week, though still could end up sunnier and drier than average I guess as the 8th is still some way off so still scope to turn drier in the 2nd week, I guess.

Even if we got May 2018, June 2006, July 2006, August 1995, September 2003, October 1995, November 1993 and December 2010 it would still be behind other contenders.

Of course highly unlikely we'll get that combination...

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Cold lovers would rank first half of 2013 highly, all 6 months below average, a rarity, then an abrupt change in July to hot and sunny and dry. August was ok. The autumn was wet though and Dec terrible, very mild and very wet and stormy.

I'd rank:

Jan 2013 - very good. Some mild periods but 2 week cold spell with widespread settling snow in the far south. The only other Jan since 1988 to have a proper snowy spell was 2010. 8/10

Feb 2013 - good. Mostly cold and mostly dry with one miserable wet weekend 7.5/10

Mar 2013 - I didn't like the dullness and the wetness of the first half, but the historic cold was a truly spectacular and historical weather event. 5/10

Apr 2013 - not a bad month on the whole. Only week 2 was poor though in week 1 the landscape was unseasonably lifeless. Spectacular 2nd half with flowers finally appearing, when spring 2013 finally arrived it was one of the most beautiful of recent years. 7.5/10

May 2013 - not as bad as made out. First and last weeks warm and sunny. Second week dull and wet, then the mid-month period was cool and cloudy but not that dull. Spectacular flowering. 5.5/10

June - fine sunny first week then cloudy, nondescript and boring. 5/10

July - prolonged warm and sunny period but with unsettled end. 8.5/10

August - pleasant. Warmish, dryish and bright. 7/10

September - cloudy and boring. A nondescript month though the first few days and final 10 days or so were dry. 5/10

October - unsettled though first few days warm and dry, occasionally sunny. Wet. Stormy. 3/10

November - stormy start then cold and dry from 10th to end. Good for November. 7.5/10

December - first 12 days OK then hideously dull and wet. Bizarrely, the wet winter of 13/14 got going on Friday 13th. 3/10

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Methuselah Mind you wasn't 1963 a bit nondescript after the start of March, with a cloudy, very cool and at times wet summer?

For historical years that I can't remember, 1947 and 1955 look good.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 22/03/2024 at 21:55, TheOgre said:

Not if it’s a combination of April 2011, May 2020, June 2023, July 2018, August 2022, September 2023, October 2018, November 2010 and December 2010

Know what you mean (as I said) though I'd drop September 2023 (wet and unsettled second half, best of the weather was over by the 11th) and substitute it with something like 2003, 2009, 1997 or 1986.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
Posted (edited)

Summer8906

For historical years that I can't remember, 1947 and 1955 look good.

Yes I would agree about 1947. Obviously few, if any of us on here remember 1947, but I was able to chat to my father-in-law about it some years ago, and also a local lady who remembered it. Both said the same thing - incredible snowfall all the way to mid March.

Quite simply it would come out top on this page if we were posing the same question in the 1950s.

Not only was 1947 the snowiest winter on record, (more snow than 1963, but not as cold)

(Read about it here:

it also had a 17C summer including arguably the best August of the 20th Century behind 1995. (Fifth warmest CET August)

As a person who likes snowy winters and warm summers, those two things alone puts it number one of all time, as far as I am concerned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Up until about 21st January this year I was thinking 'ah, the weather has been really interesting so far this year'.  We'd had a bit of snow, 2 named storms, an interesting rain event on the 4th and nice crisp, sunny 2 weeks.  Could this possibly have been the year you'd want to see repeated?

No.

• Like 2

Posted
Posted (edited)

SummerShower if every year started off like this one has, I would have to consider spending a few months during winter living out of a campervan somewhere warmer and drier (Spain and Portugal). You can only stay for 90 days now, post Brexit.

I've had a bad cough for the last 2 months, as have the rest of my family. The damp weather has made it harder to get over it.

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* the whole EU area. Max 90 days for every 180 day period .

VISAGUIDE.WORLD

Holders of Schengen visas are entitled to visit their primary destination and other countries in the Schengen Area without the need for individual visas...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I think I'll go for 2003. Lots of sunshine spread throughout the month with hardly any long dull periods. Great year with levels of sunshine that may never be repeated.

Also contenders- 1995 (Too young to remember but looked awesome) 2018 (Only let down by 2 months- prefer a much sunnier March & April- although the mid April warm period was amazing) 2022 (Pretty consistent & lovely but let down by September, which is my birthday month! November was a soaker too)

I would take any of those 4.

However then you have years before I was born or the year I was born like 1989 with that immensely sunny May to August period or 1959 which had an even longer sunny period.

Give me all of those 6 in a constant loop thanks!

The loop- 1959, 1995, 2018, 1989, 2003, 2022 & rinse & repeat.

This year has a similar start to 59 in terms of sunshine, especially if April is crap too so here's hoping the rest of the year follows 59 now!

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 1