Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August 2022

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

A cracking summer month.  Third hottest on record in terms of maximum and means CET (24.1°C and 18.7°C respectively).  It was the fourth sunniest August in UK records with 54% of normal rainfall too.  Remarkable it came off the back of an 18°C CET July which saw the first 40°C on record.

Some textbook examples of a summertime high pressure.  Feels a long time ago now!

20240324_143908.jpg

20240324_143906.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

An excellent month, some absolutely cracking weather particularly in the second week with many days in the mid to high 20’s, coming off the back of a very good July it rounded off a excellent summer, summer 2022 for me was actually warmer than 2006. Even though I recorded slightly above rainfall it didn’t put a damper on the month at all as most the rain was in brief heavy showers. August 2022 was probably the only excellent August I have had since 2003. Goes to show you how unlucky most of us were with August weather. I would say summer 2022 was one of the best summers on record. Probably just as good as 2018 which I didn’t think it could beat. Summer 2021 and 2022 were both brilliant summers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

From memory, bone dry up until the 15th with buckets of sunshine and plenty of hot weather. The ground was just completely parched and I'm pretty sure heat stress combined with dry weather lead to the final death of a crab apple tree on our street. The 15th saw storms breaking out and we saw a torrential downpour give our first proper rain since June. Then the 17th brought through a general area of thundery rain which brought a welcome deluge. Then generally some bits of rain and I think further storms at times generally turned all the grass slowly back to green. All the parched grass was back to green by early September. Seemed often pleasant with little in the way of overly humid conditions. The general dry feel of the heat made 2022, like 2018, a preferable summer to one's that were often humid.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Cracking month. Average high of 27.1c here in London. 5 consecutive days above 30c. Peaked at 34.2c. Load of sunshine, very dry. 

Spent a week up in the Scottish highlands during this month and even up there it was beautifully warm and sunny, peaked at about 25c in Aviemore. 

Anomalies for the month:

image.thumb.png.c952d406f2d889ec1dba78f1a2ead2de.png

image.thumb.png.7b2be118b73ea02eb419fdd055391bd7.png

image.thumb.png.01ce6cb61d6d984ac70ba9f0f1960402.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Ah I was going to start a thread for this some point next month but beat me to it!

I was in the Canarias during the whole heatwave as with majority of parts of Augusts in the last 10 or so years with August 2023 the first August I spent start to finish at home.

But with this one my dad stayed back home during this heatwave and though he does like warm and sunny weather he did mention it was getting a bit too much. Can't blame him when houses in the country are designed to store heat, although if nights are particularly warm and it doesn't cool down much indoors I would just camp in the garden!

I thought this was a cool comparison, 16th August 2022 versus 19th August 2023 coventry airport:

16_08.thumb.png.77ab2aed2118c33f498752de84e425b8.png19_08.thumb.jpg.3e48d78be113ac4a17c83fa4373f4b94.jpg

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Ah yes that month was great!  That spell from the 7th to the 15th was just glorious, with hairdryer easterly winds from the 10th to 14th.

On the 11th and 12th I saw no cloud anywhere, not even the faintest whisp of cirrus or the tiniest of rising thermals about to become cumulus.  Ive only seen 1 day before like that to memory (with aboslutely no cloud from start to finish).. 26th may 2012. 

We got a weak thinderstorm from the breakdown on the 15th with further thunder the next day.  The only thing that would have made the heatwave better.. more castellanus during the breakdown, and maybe more widespread storms?.  Other than that a 10/10 heatwave.

Even after this the rest of the month was consistently sunny and warm (not hot) though the morning of the 25th was very wet which meant the month wasn't up there with one of the driest here.  That was just as well as we didn't have any measurable rain in the July locally.

Posted

danm That white area on the map where I live checks out as the second half from memory seemed unsettled. As stated, the 15th and 17th brought thunder, particularly the 17th, but I feel like there were more bits and pieces throughout the rest of the month. I remember the closing days being warm and sunny though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

August 2022 was a great month! Just when we thought that reliable Augusts were a thing of the past! As hot as August 1995, but not as dry or sunny. Easily the best August since 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

One of the best summer months of my lifetime. Truly a classic. We had 5 consecutive days above 30C here, combined with low humidity and clear blue skies.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I was lucky enough to have booked a holiday 4-12 Aug 2022, including 4 nights at Treyarnon Bay YHA in Cornwall. (The best beach YHA in the UK imo).  Normally you would expect a temperature of around 19-20C on the coast. We got three days of about 24C, 27C and 27C. 

Probably the best beach days I've  had since swimming with a turtle in Western Australia and body surfing in Coogee Beach, Sydney. back in 2001.

Can't wait to experience another August like it, and I am confident we will get many in the future.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Apparently it was a glorious month. The hottest month overall here since July 2006 with an average high of 25.0c, also the sunniest August since 1995.

Typically I spent the 7th-24th in Greece - where it was colder than at home. Frustrating memories of the 14th when it was 33c and blazing sun at home while we were having torrential downpours and 24c on the island of Skopelos.

Posted

SummerShower  SummerShower I actually recorded slightly above rainfall during August but it mainly fell in heavy showers or thunderstorms the only cool, wet day I can remember was the 15th just after that very warm spell. Didn’t at all make the month feel like a bad month whatsoever. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

What can I say that I haven't already said elsewhere about this beauty of a month.

August 2022 heatwave was by far the most comfortable I've ever felt in a heatwave here as it had low humidity, relatively cool nights and the sun wasn't as strong because it was later in the summer. 

Ireland not only had its first August 30C since 2003, well overdue, but it also broke the national record for the month.

Not to mention had an amazing very late noctilucent clouds display on 11th August in the midst of the heatwave.

Clontarfnoctilucentcloudstype-Vdisplay11August2022.thumb.jpg.2e8741d423075b41b57126d8e71b7a9b.jpgIrishSeaboatsailingsunshine8August2022.thumb.jpg.f0ff3882da9d81fea35b9f6642527681.jpgKillineyBaysunshine12August2022.thumb.jpg.7c5043d39ab21cba0bcfb832219f4fd2.jpgDunLaoghairesunsetboatssymmetry9August2022.thumb.jpg.aea3e13ff6f3720cf4e81c7f59ed5ad8.jpg

The final few days also had a lovely spell though was a bit cooler and definitely noticed it here on the east coast of Ireland with that easterly wind before the 2nd September 2022 came which brought us into this current exceptional wet era. Take me back to this 😪

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

7th  - 14th August had 120.7 hours at Shoeburyness, an average of 13.4 hours per day.

One of the best periods of weather that I can remember recently as well as being very warm, avg max here in Herne Bay was 24.6C.

A selection of some of the pictures I took during that period are here.

DSC_5879edited.thumb.JPG.2f2e49f9d17f0a87d591b8e93313734c.JPGDSC_5972edited.thumb.JPG.24d688cfaeac72aba271cd0171573f48.JPGDSC_5998edited.thumb.JPG.816da8cd2efc96d7d0456c2696878ab6.JPGDSC_6161edited.thumb.jpg.f126fcfc72139b703a6d5af956691714.jpgDSC_6121edited.thumb.jpg.fbbb436fed6974b42631425b72159b8c.jpgDSC_6005edited.thumb.JPG.85bb558d9b3a34ffe51b3a7110acf408.JPGDSC_6037edited_1.thumb.jpg.3a055f6d4f2354e68e4205e063afc66e.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

I know this is the Daily Mail but there are some really interesting drone comparisons between mid August 2022 and the same time last August. So much year to year variability even for a wet climate like ours!

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Incredible aerial photos have revealed England's green and pleasant land this year thanks to washout summer a year after Britain was turned into a dustbowl during a record breaking heatwave.

Posted

Metwatch Just don't read the usual dregs of thinking in the comments... Gotta love those "dry, arid 1960s summers". 🤣

Edited by LetItSnow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Sun Chaser That makes two of us, I spent the whole of August 2022 in Greece where it was very thundery and slightly on the cool side (i.e. mid to high twenties rather than around 29-32 which is typical). The storms were spectacular there, and unlike UK storms they didn't have the unwelcome side effect of turning it cool, dull and wet.

Reading the reports of August 2022 it looks as if the second half wasn't as great as all that, rather unsettled if still on the warm side, so I'm wondering whether it was quite as good for sunshine and dry weather as 1995 or even 1991?

Perhaps comparable to 2003 or 1975 both of which had great first halves and merely "OK" second halves?

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Summer8906 Going off stats, the period from the 15th to the 24th was fairly damp and very dull but still warm. However from experience the final week of the month was nice and settled, sunny, mostly dry and warm (mid 20s), nothing extreme - a nice end to a great summer.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Great month with the first 2 weeks in August being fantastic. Don't remember the second half as much but the heat did break down with thunderstorms that caused severe flooding in Lincolnshire. We got about half an hour of torrential rain here with a strong smell of petrichor after such a long period of dry weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Summer8906 August 2022 had 13mm here while August 1995 had 8mm, so 2022 was only very slightly wetter. Don't know about sunshine though. It was certainly a much better month than August 2003 in this part of the country.

Edited by cheese
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

My memory of august 2022 is heat and scorching sun with a cracking thunderstorm near the end of the month 

Screenshot_20220825-091937_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20220825-051509_Video Player.jpg

Edited by Freeze