Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Months where the atlantic shut down, no airflow between south and north - 6pm to 12am clockface

Posted

Looking back at April 2021 which saw only airflow from between north or east, or anticyclonic overhead, It has me wondering which other months featured no atlantic influence i.e. no SW, W or NW airflow. Northerlies and southerlies I don't class as atlantic.

Any other examples? Feb 86 and Aug 95 spring to mind...

Edit: mods feel free to move to historic weather thread, I was meant to place it in there..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

You'd be hard pressed to find entire months like this but lots with at least 3/4 of the month with no W in the wind direction. However the following are good examples of blocked months.

April 21 was a good example as you say particularly from Easter Monday onwards

An obvious one is Dec 10

Dec 95 like this to an extent

Mar 13

June 18

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

damianslaw Aug 95 did have a westerly or northwesterly spell from the 24th-31st so that would just fail to reach 75% !

Feb 86 yes, I think there was 0% westerly component, literally. It was easterlies all the way.

Dec 95 in the north perhaps, again there was around a week or cyclonic W-ly in the south.

March 13 probably not down here, there was perhaps more than a week of cyclonic W-ly down here around or just before midmonth.

Wasn't June 18 actually quite westerly until the 20th? But also with high pressure, hence little rain. Down here, the first 20 days of June 2018 were actually pretty cloudy, probably due to the W-ly type.

Historically, presumably Feb 1947, Jan 1963, Feb 1963, and I'd guess June and August 1976. July 1976 was, I think, quite westerly, perhaps rather like June 2018 in character.

August 1997 was mostly non-westerly until around the 20th but that doesn't make 75%.

October 2016 was very easterly for the season, though not sure it would have made 75%.

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Wasn't June 18 actually quite westerly until the 20th?

North Sea cloud was prevalent in the first 20 days of June 2018, so the winds were probably NE-ly

June 2023 perhaps, with no Westerlies until the 26th. NE-ly or E-ly winds until the 8th, then SE-ly or S-ly until the 25th

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
22 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Wasn't June 18 actually quite westerly until the 20th?

There was a westerly interlude from the 13th to the 20th, but up until that point it and thereafter very much not.

Posted

SqueakheartLW Dec 10 brought a brief NW flow 3-4th and an atlantic influence 10th-12th and a south west flow 27th, doesn't fit the bill.

Feb 86 probably the most recent completely non atlantic month. 

Posted

March 1996? I remember it as very easterly, just checked the charts and it was. At least for this area it was pretty much completely non-Atlantic. A couple of days around 10-11th look southwesterly for the far NW, and possibly the 16-18th in the far west (still looks SE'ly for most, the low didn't break through the massive block to the N and E). Not once in the month did a low cross Britain or pass north of Scotland W-E, and at no point was a high centered over France or Spain.