Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - May 2024

Posted

The latest UKV also pushes the worst of the storms further east into the midlands slowing into South Yorkshire. Again it’s a now cast but I’d suggest the more western areas will miss the worst of this now on current trends

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

Some great soundings from the Arome tonight, liking shear profiles. Real potential for 2,000+ sbcape in some areas.

image.thumb.png.4effe4d5bac6de9204789c3ae841bc9e.pngimage.thumb.png.a1730b33aa66bd29fe4e357d8bc569b2.pngimage.thumb.png.5274350a6ca03717be1129badfc2a92d.pngimage.thumb.png.fe04e32b73e971fb159c6cc322b03d6f.pngimage.thumb.png.9342e32c2d8b89e9400c82f942eafd87.png

Soundings taken from midlands, wales and Bristol areas.

Honestly i dont mind whether i get hit or not tomorrow, just looking forward to seeing those distant towering cumulus.

• Like 4

Posted
Posted (edited)

Nice an sunny here so far 

Edited by Cain

Posted

Good instability aloft here this am, with a little updraft too, a  good sign of surface heating conducive to breaking any capping later. A good afternoon for sky and radar watching. 

20240512_074129.jpg

Screenshot_20240512-081711_Weather.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Posted (edited)

Good morning, looking like a very interesting day for quite a few. Would love to see some of these storms push a little further east, I guess its not impossible looking at the models. Was out driving with a couple of mates looking for the Northern lights last night which was a bust, and after a day of work from 2am in the morning, I am like a zombie today which would mean no chasing tonight lol.

Lets keep fingers crossed that the area of these storms may push or grow to cover slightly more east.

🙂

Edited by Petorious
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The skies above  beautiful Hay on Wye , show potential …..perhaps !?😊

IMG_0974.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Reading, Oxford, Winchester area. Something showing up there, early morning precip that will burn off or something more sinister? Also has the NNE direction.

Posted

Now the excitement of the Aurora storm is almost drawing to a close i'm turning my mind towards today's thunderstorm action and hoping to intercept a few cells on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire border. Manchester METAR looks promising with cloud bases initially starting at 4000ft before dropping down to a modest 750ft as the MSC from Wales moves through, but there could be some photogenic opportunities in the hours to come once things get going in mid-Wales. 

• Like 1

Posted

Some nice breaks in the cloud now hopefully sun will get to work 

Posted

An unstable looking sky if ever saw one. This taken yesterday evening down in south Devon. Feels very muggy this morning although being right by the sea I don't think I'll see any storms unfortunately. These more likely will form inland towards North Devon. We'll see though 🤞

IMG20240511200118.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Current state of play

2-5 PM initiation

Most models initiation in the SW and western Wales moving NE into the late evening.  One cluster in northern Wales into NW England on all models, weaker on AROME. Second cluster initially forms in southern Wales, strengthening into the Midlands for a time. Not on all models but on most. Expect frequent lightning from both of the storms. Deep-layer shear stronger for the NW one, quicker upscaling and potentially lasting longer.  AROME combines two clusters over Midlands and NW and this is where they're strongest. Cells trailing behind MCS after it's left areas especially on eastern extent as the lapse-&rates are allowed to re-strengthen as surface heating is still occurring.

Moisture also feeds those trailing cells from the far SW where it combines with lapse-rates in Wales ish area. Rising moisture feeding into the surface heating and colder air feeding lower and lower in the atmosphere but surface heating weaker. Stronger low-level and deep-layer shearing but weaker energy and forcing.

Supercell potential would be better if initiation if the MCS is slightly earlier and allowed for better heating, instead it remains about even with the MCS's with the southern part having a Supercellular risk given the rising warm air into the southern portion and open air below allowing a few momentum induced to southern portions of the system with cells combining into the system. Potentially the best hail chance along this portion of the system. Lift with rising motion is increased and energy lifting with that rising motion. Therefore updraft speed is increased and with cells pushing into the southern part of the likely MCS, either one, the increased updraft width will also help hail production and if it weren't for the mess with not knowing where it will be, it would likely have high risk lightning frequency, very frequent lightning possible and more severe risks associated with the southern part of either of these two or combined systems. 

xx_model-en-340-0_modezswiss_2024051200_17_4855_240.thumb.png.1d88dd7e6ddf8939c6e69306ecc7133d.png

convective_overview_20240512_00_018.thumb.jpg.547327b3dbe49e05a7097613b99ea44f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mainly thunderstorms and snow
Posted (edited)

I dont know how to describe the dije here but its like skys full of "dots" of clouds and are now starting to rise 

image.thumb.jpg.3a4f8951f512cb67090534dad968cb4d.jpg

Edited by Daniel_c150311
  • Like 1

Posted

Too far south and east here but some lovely Accas filling the sky. The heat goes out with a whimper for us as usual 

• Like 1

Posted

Either way I’m in a good place to due to elevation 

Posted

Can’t work out whether the Marches is prime position or whether we’re more likely to see the real developments take place both east and west of the border.  Here’s hoping for something in any case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Warming up nicely here... hoping I won't need to travel too far today!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Noted the Accas fields earlier too. Timing would suggest that was what was left of the 'plume' models showed earlier in the week!

Posted

Feels much humid out there and hot in the sun now 

Posted

We are in one of the highest risk areas this afternoon, hopefully this time it delivers. Not had a good storm up here in almost 4 years now....current observations, feels humid, milky high cloud and some accas this morning, cloud cover around 80% but thin layers still allowing hazy sunshine to sneak through. The signs are certainly good.

• Like 2