Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Just for fun: Guess the year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
Posted (edited)

In my topic "What was the summer like during the year that you were born?", a couple of members and myself agree that we could do with some more fun topics on here. I wasn't too sure whether this one would be better suited to The Lounge or Historic Weather thread, but seeing as we are talking about the past and it is weather related, I think the latter would be the most appropriate.

The objective of this is to describe a year by telling us what the weather was like during the seasons of that year and other members have to guess the year. Please keep it relatively recent (within the last 100 years). You can also provide up to three clues. 

So I shall start:

An unsettled start to the year with snow in the north, followed by a great February for coldies with the month having a CET of 2.8°C. The Easter that followed was an unsettled one. Winter arrived with a vengeance around the 10th of April bringing frost and disruptive snowfall for some areas. During May, the highest ever temperature range in a day in the UK was recorded. The summer that year was mediocre at best and didn't even reach 30°C that year. All three summer months were cooler than average. Autumn was drier than average with September and October providing some last minute relief after the poor summer. There was a cold snap at the end of November, followed by a December of many cold and frosty nights.

Clues:

• It was a World Cup year
  • It was after Harold Wilson but before Tony Blair
  • There were three TV channels                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
Posted (edited)

Total guess and without looking at any figures or history...1978?! I was only a lad, but I remember that year...(!) Grainy pics of a World Cup many miles away...

Edited by SollyOlly
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Weather Enthusiast91 1978.

I'll do one. The previous December had given hopes of a classic winter to come, perhaps even the winter before had been a "teaser winter". The year started with a great frost but it quickly fell apart and the rest of the winter was, at times, record-breakingly mild. The spring was a mixed bag and the summer was generally quite poor though parts of the country saw some very big storms from around July 29th and through the first-half of August. September provided some relief after the drab summer. The autumn was generally more shades of grey (not a clue, this was before that book! THAT is a time frame clue though). December was almost a classic but near miss synoptics and poor uppers meant we missed out and Christmas was very green and brown.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
  • Like 1

Posted

Wold Topper Actually a good time to ask since I never have known for sure, but I always thought the Lounge area was for strictly non-weather related stuff? Perhaps I’m wrong. I’ve never really been over there much. Maybe I’ll start.  

I’ll do one

the coldest temperature was in March this year which hadn’t happened in 5 years and overall a cold winter quite a mixed bag of a spring overall with April being dry and may being wet. The summer was amazing with July maybe still being the best summer month this country has ever seen and maybe the being the best summer of the 21st  century overall but that is debatable. Autumn was a mixed again I can’t really give many stats without completely giving it away but it was very warm. Lastly December was in some places the mildest in almost 20 years.

clues about the year 

it was a World Cup year 

Tony Blair is still the prime minister 

Posted

Weather Enthusiast91 I want to guess 1978? Pretty sure in May that year Pitlochry which is quite local to me recorded the highest diurnal temperature in the UK. Want to say it was from a minimum of -7.C to a high of 22.C. 

Posted

A good fun topic this is, I’ll do a year.

A cold but not exceptionally cold winter with very heavy snow at the start of February bringing transport to a standstill and parts of the south coast freeze for the first time in 18 years. A rather warm and sunny spring followed with a particularly warm April and a warm spell at the end of May. The summer got off to a promising start and it was forecast to be a very good summer, it had a very good start and end to June sandwiched between a cooler and unsettled spell. The warmest day of the year was recorded on the 30th June. July and August were both unsettled months but not as bad as some of the worst and it was a very sunny summer in northern Scotland. The autumn was generally mild and quite wet but with a decent September and november brought some severe flooding to the north west. December started on a mild note but then turned increasingly winters and was a very cold month in Scotland, most areas had some significant snow for a time.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I'll have a go...

The year started off with a mildish, wettish and sunnyish 2nd half of winter, though not as mild as the start of that winter. Spring was cool, wet and with near average sunshine. Summer started off in catastrophic fashion with one of the worst Junes ever seen, and progressively improved through the season. July was so-so, August fairly decent. The Autumn was mild, dry and dull, with the December of that year being mild, very dry and sunny.

Clues: The government was Conservative. There was a major football tournament this year. One of the best thunderstorms I have ever seen took place during the summer.

Posted

I’ll do another one.

For the time the winter was poor but would be decent by today’s low standards. January the coldest month of the winter but the snowiest weather occurred in March. A very blocked spring that tended to be warmest and driest in Scotland but relatively poor further south-east. A very bad summer with shockingly low maxima at times. September was about as warm or even warmer than July. The autumn generally was unsettled and wet but with an interesting snowfall in early November based on its location. December was a mild one though. 

Posted

B87 I’m pressing the buzzer and saying 2016!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

LetItSnowcorrect!

• Like 1

Posted

B87 indeed!

Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's another one:

This year started off on a mild and unsettled note for the first three weeks with damaging gales on the 3rd and 4th of January particularly in the Sussex area, before switching to drier and colder conditions later on in the month. This was to be followed by a very mild February (7.3C CET), with it being exceptionally mild mid month. 13C was exceeded somewhere in the country every day from the 8th to the 20th. March was on the most part, warm, wet and dull. April was a very wet and cold month with an average of 138mm rainfall across England and Wales. April was colder than March that year. May was warmer and drier than average but started off on a cool note. Summer started off on a poor note with a very wet and dull June and cool and dull July. August was the best month of this year's summer for those in the east and south, but continued to be poor for those in western Scotland and notherwestern England. September was warm but unsettled particularly in the south and east. Scotland had a warm day on the 21st which for some places was the warmest day of the year. The rest of the autumn, particularly November was fairly average. The year ended on a changeable but mild note.

Clues:

• The Prime Minister was Labour
  • Bill Clinton was US President
  • It wasn't a leap year
Edited by Weather Enthusiast91