Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports 31st August 05

Posted

Between 9:30 and 10:00, we had a mother. I mean, this was a pure spectacle. 180 strikes a minute according to several lightning sites. It really was a hell of a thing, rain flooded road. 8 to 9 strikes overhead. This was a real pleasure to behold. I would have liked to have seen it during the day though, can't help but have a sneaky suspicion that there was a funnel in it. Just a suspicion though, nothing scientific. Wouldn't surprise me if there was. It was just brilliant.

Posted

Started lightening around 8:30 but only the odd rumble of thunder,lightening was all around and quite spectacular ......as i thought ! but then the whole mother of a storm came in with avengance ,power was on and off,sattelite went down,and with the most enormous crack of thunder the power went again ,i nearly jumped outta my skin !Our power was fine but the lightening hit a sub station locally and put the other side of town without electric.We had intracloud /cloud to ground of all was spectacular.There is still some intercloud lightening now as i speak but no thunder.The best ive seen in years ! is there more to come tonight for us ? very humid still and the odd heavy shower...........Thank you god for the excellent light show !

Posted

We've had a total of 3 thunderstorms pass over tonight, which have deposited 10.8mm of rain. The second of the three storms was very intense indeed, with lightning strikes every few seconds.

Oh and..... the power is finally back on :(

Posted

Had a storm SE Sheffield starting about 1930 but it headed off towards Lincs rapidly.. I think most of it passed over Worksop..

Distant flashes to the south of here were continuing until 2230 and the CB stopped dead with interference at 2310..

Paul

Posted

Had thunder for much of the afternoon over N Ireland, strikes not that frequent at around 2/min at its peak but has caused some power-cuts in the the Province (NI Electric state that there were >500 direct hits to their network), but happily no probs here :(

Here in Scarborough we had the best storm I've seen in years lasting about an hour and a half from 8.40 or so. The lightningn was nearly continuous, mostly to the east over the sea. It didn't seem to come too close though and looked to stay at sea. As I type this at 2.55am we are getting the odd flash to the south east, again at sea, towards East Yorkshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey
Here in Scarborough we had the best storm I've seen in years lasting about an hour and a half from 8.40 or so. The lightningn was nearly continuous, mostly to the east over the sea. It didn't seem to come too close though and looked to stay at sea. As I type this at 2.55am we are getting the odd flash to the south east, again at sea, towards East Yorkshire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was a very nice storm, but I was stuck inside and didn't get to see much :( I was aware of lightning at 8:30 for an hour, then it started up again at about 10.00pm for a while.

Posted

Bit late posting this but here we go!

I was at home until 3:00pm yesterday afternoon, but there was no evidence of any storms until then.

Driving to work in Taunton (10miles) the sky became very unstable with plenty of 'cotton wool' underbelly on the dark clouds out towards the south west (ac str).

By the time I got to work distant lightning was visable, but no rain as yet.

Being a delivery driver around Devon and Somerset I got a ringside seat on all the action!

At about 4:00pm the storm had rolled in over Taunton with C-C lightning every minute or so

Rain wasn't particulaly heavy at this point, but a moderate drizzle

Driving up Bridgwater on the M5, lightning became very frequent with purple streaks across the sky, rain very very heavy, M5 traffic crawling at about 30mph!!

Got to Bridgwater and wind very gusty. leaves and twigs blowing into the sky and still with frequent lightning (but not much C-G lightning)

Main storm front moving NE so brighter conditions could be seen in behind.

Storm lasted about 2 hrs in the West Somerset area

Storm lasted about 3 hrs in the South Somerset area

Not much rain occured in the Minehead area of Somerset, but thunder heard for about 2 hrs with very unstable cloud mass

Intresting wind occured in the Bridgwater area, very very gusty with trees swaying quite violently with leaves and twigs flying up into the air??

NO photos Im afraid, being a delivery driver its a bit difficult!!

Anymore info? let me know and I will try my best! :(

Edited by tornadomanuk

Posted

We did not get a thing last night we had a little rain around 6 pm and that was it,So nothing to report from this neck of Scotland although we were issued with sever warnings ahhh well there is still plenty time for another good one for us up here..

Posted

So how come the south and north got it but here in Shropshire(Midlands) we got a couple of rumbles and that was it!!!

Posted

Wow!!!! What a storm we had last night Its started around 20:30 with a few rumbles, and then the sky was lit up with lightning every few seconds all over the place the storm seemed to be coming from all directions I haven't seen a night storm like it for many years, there was plenty of CC an CG lightning defeaning thunder, we lost power several times, and SKY satallite just gave up in the end. The storm went on untill around 22:00, but lightning could be seen in the distance until around 23:00. I have never seen so much lightning from one storm, it was a real treat to veiw. The rain was also torrential and flash flooding occurred in many places. All in all a top top storm.

Posted

I had a thunderstorm here in Darwen on the 31'st (currently yesterday) at about four o'clock in the afternoon.

It appeared out of nowhere to the north, producing a lot of loud thunder as well as sheet lightning and a few cg's.

Then it vanished as suddenly as it appeared.

Posted

I know this is a forum for storm reports, but I feel a rant coming on. This year has seen some great storms across the UK. Not one, not even one, has been more than the odd rumble in the far south east. Every single storm on the radar has passed to the n, s, e or w. I must be in somekind of microclimate here. I'm glad all you lot have seen some decent storms, but spare a thought for me, who hasn't seen or heard anything like a storm for nearly 3 years. Boo hoo. In fact, we never get any unusual weather here. BORING. I'm going to move. Now.

Edited by simonperkins

Posted

Simon I feel your pain, Your MicroClimate has nothing on the Force Field of High Pressure that keep Essex dry, On record it has less rain than Beirut and Jerusalem, and this year is the only year that I have not seen a flash of Lightning for the whole of July and August, in fact Southend has had 2 storms since April, a record from my own records. Beat That

Paul Sherman