Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Winter Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Sky is beginning to clear as cloud is being pushed south all of a sudden... Here arrives that cold air!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

A question..... can you get a frost when it is windy?.

It's just that temps are expected to drop below freezing tonight, and with the wind I was wondering if a frost can form.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia

if it is windy surely there is must be clods arounds so how is we ables to gets firost if there is clods???????????? :)

1.6c bitings wind and temp fallings each times. :) but no signs of snows :)

Posted

Its just that the local weather said it would be clear here tonight with temps around -1 - -2c

But I take your point about the clods mate. :)

Edited by SteveB

Posted
A question..... can you get a frost when it is windy?.

It's just that temps are expected to drop below freezing tonight, and with the wind I was wondering if a frost can form.

absolutely you can, and they are very penetrating

Posted
absolutely you can, and they are very penetrating

Cheers mate thought you could, should have my 8th frost of this winter tonight then.

Way more already than last year and probably the last several.

Posted

Hi Steve B, yes you can have a frost when its windy, although you tend to need the upper's to be slightly colder then in the normal HP inversion type of frost that we've seen much of the last 7 days.

Main focus on snow is definatly going to the west as those showers push down from the Irish sea with winds generally coming down from the north-west, the east could see some showers from time to time but the harsh frost and cold windchill factor will be the main thing of note here.

Posted
warning for the west country? thought we would miss it. 2-5 cms looks interesting in my mind

I am not sure anywhere North of say minehead will see any snow tonight.

Well thats what the local news reckons.

Hi Steve B, yes you can have a frost when its windy, although you tend to need the upper's to be slightly colder then in the normal HP inversion type of frost that we've seen much of the last 7 days.

Main focus on snow is definatly going to the west as those showers push down from the Irish sea with winds generally coming down from the north-west, the east could see some showers from time to time but the harsh frost and cold windchill factor will be the main thing of note here.

Thanx Kold. And yes I fear the snow may just pass to the West of my location. Maybe a chance of a rogue shower or two but that about it.

(now I said that probably wake up tomorrow to a snowy scene lol)

Edited by SteveB

Posted
I am not sure anywhere North of say minehead will see any snow tonight.

Well thats what the local news reckons.

Thanx Kold. And yes I fear the snow may just pass to the West of my location. Maybe a chance of a rogue shower or two but that about it.

(now I said that probably wake up tomorrow to a snowy scene tomorrow lol)

There isn't anywhere north of Minehead, unless there have been strange tectonic goings on today that somehow crept under George Best and the news radar. Not another Jay Wynne-ism, surely.

Posted

well after this afternoons fun for 15 minutes we have clear skies here in london. am expecting a severe frost and icy night, so will be chilly when i go home in the morning.

Posted
There isn't anywhere north of Minehead, unless there have been strange tectonic goings on today that somehow crept under George Best and the news radar. Not another Jay Wynne-ism, surely.

Just to make you happy North East of Minehead, or if thats not good enough, turn right skirt around the coast then head North

Posted

We have some snow falling in Caister just North of Gt Yarmouth but the ground is very wet still. What temperature does it have to be for snow to lay on wet ground - or does it have to freeze first?

Thanks for all who are posting it's been fascinating. Great forecasts guys.

Posted
Just to make you happy North East of Minehead, or if thats not good enough, turn right skirt around the coast then head North

Steve,

Partial apology from yours truly. My mental model was putting Minehead where Ilfracombe is: as I typed I thought about it and got what you / they meant, but by then the momentum was all with my left thumb...

We have some snow falling in Caister just North of Gt Yarmouth but the ground is very wet still. What temperature does it have to be for snow to lay on wet ground - or does it have to freeze first?

Thanks for all who are posting it's been fascinating. Great forecasts guys.

I didn't think we'd have any correspondents on the thin sliver of Norfolk that seems to be catching the snow: great that we have.

If the snow is heavy enough, and so long as it's not too wet, it will eventually stick. The thermal transfer from warm ground to cold snow soon cools the surface down to freezing, or close enough to it. In addition, flakes will land on the grass where the air will provide insulation. Cars and metal surfaces tend to cool down fastest.

Posted
If the snow is heavy enough, and so long as it's not too wet, it will eventually stick. The thermal transfer from warm ground to cold snow soon cools the surface down to freezing, or close enough to it. In addition, flakes will land on the grass where the air will provide insulation. Cars and metal surfaces tend to cool down fastest.

In other words a blizzard is helpful!

Posted

Thanks for the response SF.

Well you were bang on - snow laying on cars and just starting to lay on ground as well.

I posted some photos in the picture thread.

I am amazed at how accurate the forum forecasts were a week ago, espescially as on wednesday it began to look less likely that we would get snow. Well done all the forecasters who got this right so far in advance.

Great start to winter.

Posted
Steve,

Partial apology from yours truly. My mental model was putting Minehead where Ilfracombe is: as I typed I thought about it and got what you / they meant, but by then the momentum was all with my left thumb...

No problem Mate, My mental note of where places are is not always up to scratch either.

Posted

I am amazed at how unaccurate the forum forecasts were a week ago, espescially as on wednesday it began to look much more likely that we would get snow. Well done all the forecasters who got this wrong once again.

S**T start to winter. :)

JK LOL

Edited by Bl!zzard

Posted
I am amazed at how unaccurate the forum forecasts were a week ago, espescially as on wednesday it began to look much more likely that we would get snow. Well done all the forecasters who got this wrong once again.

Lets hear your attempt at predicting next weeks weather then?! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Err... but it is snowing in many places.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Good to see alot of Eastern Europe with snow cover now, and I'd expect to see cover extend a little further West over Germany with this arctic plunge. Seems to be a marked snowless chunk out of W'ern Russia though around Moscow - where it seems WAA from SE Europe/NW Asia has kept things above average there - it looks to stay that way it seems with the trough over W'ern/Central Europe continuing to pump mild air North into that area:

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Posted

JK LOL

Are you sure you arn't Damien he post silly comments like that. I feel that all the peeps on here do a great job and i for one would trust their advice on the weather over general forcast from the beeb and others. :)

They are all volunteers on here and give their advice and time for free.

Edited by Snow Queen one

Posted

Hi all, it doesn't look like this initial cold snap will last long, maybe into middle of next week. I have been hearing reports of another rather cold snap from around the 10th to mid December.

Does anyone have any views or further info on this?

Cheers, rib.