Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Will it snow in......?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm guessing I might see some snow here Thurs... Met O give 10-15cm as possible snow depths across midlands area - most likely higher areas like Stoke. Still, a covering will be nice to see again! Funny, if I get another covering that'll make this very mild winter much snowier than last years cold (well average) winter. No suprise really - dry is no good for snow either...

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
Not really been following this cold spell. Any chance of any snow in Reading area?

Hi BriT, we are definitely in the marginal zone. For some reason the M4 is always a bit of a boundary, maybe something to do with the Thames Valley or the Orography (Orography is the term used to describe undulations on the surface of the Earth of any size and shape, from small hills to major mountain ranges that span continents.), courtesy of the Met Office.

For us a lot will depend on the conditions in the run up to event i.e. time of day, temps and dew points. If it arrives at night we stand a much better chance of getting a dew hours of snow. If it arrives during the daylight this will reduce the chances somewhat.

Defo a good time to get a decent radar, like the Net-Weather one, unless you already have one!

ps. I will be heading up to Beacon Hill in the hope of breaking a few bones :) !!

EDIT - pps. the current scenario we have with a channel low pressure is/was always going to be our best shot at some decent snowfall here. That is not to say that it will happen... very much proof in the pudding time!

Posted

Hi Folks

Hoping to get some snow on Thursday and was wondering as we are 635ft on the North Downs 19 miles south of central London would the snow stay as snow rather that the forcasted snow turning to rain. Has done in the past but this is more marginal. Anyone know the what the Dam line needs to be.

Regards Charlton North Downs :cold:

Posted

I reckon I'm gonig to be lucky lucky lucky.. In terms of snow that is..

Posted
I'm guessing I might see some snow here Thurs... Met O give 10-15cm as possible snow depths across midlands area - most likely higher areas like Stoke. Still, a covering will be nice to see again! Funny, if I get another covering that'll make this very mild winter m :ch snowier than last years cold (well average) winter. No suprise really - dry is no good for snow either...

any chance of seeing anymore snow in liverpool tonight :):cold:

Will we ever get significant snow in Durham again?

:)

yes everybodys got a chance even in duram maybe a dusting of 2-3 cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind
Will I get snow in Farnborough - 15 miles south of the M4? Please!

There is a 60-70% chance you will, if not higher! How long it lasts for before turning to rain though is a different question!

Posted

Never thought I'd end up asking because I pretty much know but I need it confirmed! Merthyr Tydfil, S Wales, 200m+ asl? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind
could it be that it might stay cold and not turn to rain apart from the south coast

In my opion for what it is worth, I think it will not even snow on the south coast, rain from the start. I would have thought that yes it will eventually turn to rain in your location, I am no expert though, just been analysing the models and thoughts of more professional forecasters!

any chance of snow here in liverpool

Not sure about this, but again I would have thought so looking at the models.

As a lot have said snow is not easy to predict even 24 hours before the event, so although yes we can guarantee snow across some parts of the counrty on Thursday morning, how much and where it falls has yet to be confirmed.

See the met-office risk maps for there take on things

post-5004-1170771391_thumb.png

Courtesy of the met-office

Posted

What are the chances of Tunbridge Wells seeing lying snow or will it all have melted by the time I get up at 7am?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Hiya, I really need someone who knows more about reading the charts than I do to help me.

I live in Huddersfield near Emley moor. I will be traveling to Southport for a wedding on Saturday morning. Am I likely to experience any problems or should I travel on the Friday night instead.

I realise it might seem a bit of a silly question to ask but looking at all the different forecasts is giving a different outlook everytime I look. Plus, I'm not too great a reading the charts, so PLEEEEAAAAASSSSEEE can SOMEONE help me?

snowday. x

Posted
Hiya, I really need someone who knows more about reading the charts than I do to help me.

I live in Huddersfield near Emley moor. I will be traveling to Southport for a wedding on Saturday morning. Am I likely to experience any problems or should I travel on the Friday night instead.

I realise it might seem a bit of a silly question to ask but looking at all the different forecasts is giving a different outlook everytime I look. Plus, I'm not too great a reading the charts, so PLEEEEAAAAASSSSEEE can SOMEONE help me?

snowday. x

Hi snowday. The reason the forecasts are giving you a different outlook every time you look is because there is still so much uncertainty even with a few days to go. The current conditions we are facing are quite rare these days and are a lot more difficult for computers/forecasters to predict accurately.

As for your travel plans I could not honestly give you an answer at this stage. My advice for you is to keep an eye on the Net-Weather close-up forecasts and to keep an eye on the blogs that John Holmes (Senior Forecaster) has been doing over recent days. If you need help locating this PM me.

Regards

Ian

it is with regard to thurs stroke friday :whistling::pardon:

A lot depends on the how far north the track of the projected low pressure gets. Some of the model runs this morning have projected this to get as far north as your area, however other models have shown the track of the low to be further south.

As with my other recent post in this thread the best advice is to keep a close eye on the Blogs by John Holmes and the close up forecast from the home page.

One thing is for certain it really is on a knife-edge!

Hope this helps.

Ian

Archived