Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will it snow in......?

Posted

Stephen, I notice you mentioned inland County Durham including Durham City, but didn't mention Newton Aycliffe.

I see you have taken into account my snow shielding dome, well done!

Posted
What about here in Carnoustie, :D

I'll be heading up your way on 16th Feb for a week, so if you do get some snow, don't let it thaw! Off to Arbroath to visit the m-in-law.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
attention mods

can one of you insert this at the top of this thread for everyone to see please?

My opinion on the upcoming coldspell in regional detail:

Scotland: Yes there will be snow here and some significant accumulations at times, especially on thursday-friday. Uncertainty but probably a slow change to rain after that. Maybe some rain from the outset in extreme coastal areas. Biggest chance of snow around Aberdeen/Edinburgh, more moderate around Glasgow

Northern Ireland: A short spell of sleet or snow, probably followed by rain, getting slowly milder over the weekend. Belfast is definitely the most likely to see any snow. The North shores may see sleet followed by rain

Northeast England: Yes there will also be snow here, down to low level for a time, before slowly turning to rain. Inland County Durham should fare the best including Durham city and area like Filingdales. Newcastle and Middlesbrough should also fare pretty well with lying snow at some point

Northwest England: There will probably be a shortish spell of snow arounf Thursday, although only for areas east of Wigan to Crewe, areas west of that will see rain with some sleet at first.

Wales: North Wales could see some snow with some accumulations especially over higher ground, the lower ground to the west will see rain. South Wales the same will apply, best chance of snow over High ground and in the east.

Midlands: Birmingham could see a short spell of snow, and other areas above around 400 feet, elsehwere though there could just be rain and sleet. Best chances in east.

Southeast: Some snow here but maybe showery in nature this will turn to rain around Friday/Saturday London will be borderline but inland Norfolk and Cambridgeshire could see some accumulation

Southwest: Short spell of snow on Thursday, quickly turning to rain away from Bodmin and Dartmoor, milder weater following. Rain over extreme coastal area, no snow for the Scilly Isles

South: Again borderline, precipitation may fall as rain here due to coastal effect of the wind.

Ireland: Again western Eire will see rain from the outset, Dublin may see a little sleet or wet snow at first.

These are my opinions based on the present charts, they will change without doubt, just a guide though at the moment

--------------------

"Stephen - The net-weather lizard - can survive without snow for a long time"

Poll Hill (Highest point in Merseyside @ 111m (364.2 feet) asl, Heswall, Wirral, UK

Net-weather forecast and alerts team

General moderator

stephen@net-weather.co.uk

CATCH THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS AT THE NETWEATHER DATACENTRE - CLICK HERE

Cheers for the above, but I don't class where I live as either North West or North East. We're slap down the middle of the country and seem to miss out on everything exciting that happens. :wallbash:

Can anyone can tell me if its actually going to snow here in Huddersfield over this week and at the weekend? I also have a wedding in Southport on Saturday that I have to travel over to and am wondering if I should wear my strappy shoes or wellies to the do! :lol:

Edited by Snowday

Posted
Southeast: Some snow here but maybe showery in nature this will turn to rain around Friday/Saturday London will be borderline but inland Norfolk and Cambridgeshire could see some accumulation

To be honest id be surprised if i see anything of the white stuff here.. Its goto be straight from the north (like 2 weeks ago) or a very cold easterly blast for it to happen here in ol london town.

Anyway according to the model disscussion thread, sounds like its all gone belly up again as usual :wallbash:

Edited by nanu

Posted

Thanks Steven :lol: i know it is hard to forecast for up here and i assume because of the basic geography of the land and also the gulf stream, a really big thank you for giving it a go :wallbash:

Posted
Northwest England: There will probably be a shortish spell of snow arounf Thursday, although only for areas east of Wigan to Crewe, areas west of that will see rain with some sleet at first.

Wales: North Wales could see some snow with some accumulations especially over higher ground, the lower ground to the west will see rain. South Wales the same will apply, best chance of snow over High ground and in the east.

Midlands: Birmingham could see a short spell of snow, and other areas above around 400 feet, elsehwere though there could just be rain and sleet. Best chances in east.

These are my opinions based on the present charts, they will change without doubt, just a guide though at the moment

So basically everywhere except here again then :rolleyes:

Seriously, extending the line from Wigan to Crewe another 30 miles and it comes very close to here, if it snows in those two places I'd expect it to here because we're at a similar elevation and longitude.

Birmingham can be a bit of a law unto itself, the Black Country more so because of what I call the "West Mids Snow Magnet"; which starts at the Wrekin and extends through Telford and Wolverhampton usually ending just east of Cannock and extending southwards into Dudley and Birmingham; this area nearly always seems to get much more snow compared to the surrounding area that one would expect in most setups; often it snows here when it rains or sleets at the same height in the Shropshire hills, Staffs moorlands or Wales.

Fronts pushing against cold air from the west do strange things round these parts: that of 12th March 2006 was fair and gave pretty much all of Shropshire a decent cover; those of Feb 1996 and Dec 2000 didn't like the look of Shrewsbury and gave us less than half as much as most nearby places; that of 2-3 Mar 1995 gave a decent amount in Shrewsbury and Telford and points south and east, but hardly anything in the Oswestry area.

Forecasting is harder than many think round here! :rolleyes:

Posted

There is certainly a snow magnet in the West Midlands. I lived in Edgbaston for a while, near Bearwood, worked around West Brom, Oldbury, Tipton, Rowley Regis, and it was noticeablebly snowier there than near the city centre and eastwards. Having said that, a lot of the ground in the Black Country is +600ft, which certainly helps.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayfor...dford&day=3

The link is a bit useless at the moment, as FI is only 48 hours out however once the GFS latches on, you should get a reliable snowdepth for your location.

From the GFS6z output which was apparently a dud run, i would get 8cm on thursday before precipitation turns to sleet ot rain, if the precipitation did not, i would recieve aroudn 5 inches of snowfall.

Interestingly, one of the runs two ays ago gave me around 30cm from the two snow events assuming no melt.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

Below is my interpretation of the cold spell at present... if i feel anything needs changing to the forecast i will do so but for the mean time there is sufficient information for you to interpret snowfall from my point of view :)

Will_it_snow_in.ppt

SM06

Edited by SNOW-MAN2006

Posted
Below is my interpretation of the cold spell at present... if i feel anything needs changing to the forecast i will do so but for the mean time there is sufficient information for you to interpret snowfall from my point of view :lol:

Will_it_snow_in.ppt

SM06

*sigh* I don't have PowerPoint on my laptop so can't view it.

Posted
*sigh* I don't have PowerPoint on my laptop so can't view it.

I always have this problem as i love creating powerpoints which make everything look so much more offical. You can download microsoft powerpoint viewer here as i often make powerpoints that i would love you to see :lol:

SM06

Posted
I'll be heading up your way on 16th Feb for a week, so if you do get some snow, don't let it thaw! Off to Arbroath to visit the m-in-law.

You'll be lucky to see snow in Arbroath. Gayfield (home to Arbroath FC) is famous for matches not being postponed there as the salt from the sea always keeps their pitch frost free.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

How is it looking for me on thursday now?

Posted

What a complete turnaround over the past 24 hours. It was looking likely according to the majority of forecasts that we'd get a sprinkling of snow here at some point this week but now it looks as if it's going to be sunny. Yes it'll be a little colder than usual these next few days but by Thursday it looks as if things will be much milder, incidentally the day when sleet or snow here is most likely.

The Midlands is the worst place to live if you enjoy snow :blink:

Posted
What a complete turnaround over the past 24 hours. It was looking likely according to the majority of forecasts that we'd get a sprinkling of snow here at some point this week but now it looks as if it's going to be sunny. Yes it'll be a little colder than usual these next few days but by Thursday it looks as if things will be much milder, incidentally the day when sleet or snow here is most likely.

The Midlands is the worst place to live if you enjoy snow :blink:

Not sure where you get your info from but based on the latest fax chart its roughly from northampton northwards that could see some heavy snow thursday morning until eventually turning to rain.

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Sorry to disagree with you Zerouali, but my grandmothers back garden here in carnoustie is the beach.

Her pathway gets frozen just as mine does and i am 15 mins walk from there.

Mandy x

Posted

What are my chances of seeing some snow this week? :D

I live in Stoke and then on Saturday going to the Highlands in Scotland (if i can get there and the gates arent shut)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The Midlands is the worst place to live if you enjoy snow :D

I looked at the Met office website earlier today and it looked like most of our snow will be overnight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
You'll be lucky to see snow in Arbroath. Gayfield (home to Arbroath FC) is famous for matches not being postponed there as the salt from the sea always keeps their pitch frost free.

A common belief- but in reality the salt doesn't make a lot of difference; much of it is air temperature.

In Tyne & Wear, it often snows inland but sleets by the coast, however if you look at the temps on those occasions, it will be around 1C inland, and oscillating between 2 and 5C by the coast.

Posted

i am not happy with that snowman for you have called wales England is this acceptable?

Edited by adamjones416