Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 8

Posted
Does anyone know if there is any snow anywhere not too far from Manchester, with hills etc, so we can all go sledging??? There was supposed to be accumilations here but nothing has stuck! So you know, places like Buxton, Snake Pass, etc.

there is a couple of inches above Macclesfield certainly about 4 inches heading towards Buxton over the Cat don't know what is like at Buxton itself I assume they have some!

Posted
Probably it now, just bits and pieces maybe. Did you get a good covering?

Yes, it started at about midnight light snow gradually got heavier - the heaviest falls were about 5 - 6am - we have 3 -4 inches in total. The wind is now from the SW but looking very dark from that direction. Looks like rain is on the way.

The snow on the ground is melting quickly Boo Hoo

Posted
By the way, looks like there is currently a Humber streamer occuring, a clear line of heavy showers working in from the north-sea as winds turn easterly ahead of the front, as i found out last night with snow bowing into my eyes as my room is east facing!

anyone near that reigon with those showers could say what they are like, i presume inland they are giving snow and the band has moved about 20 miles north in the last 2hrs and while thin must be giving a couple of cms in a short period of time.

I dont think its really a streamer as its moving northwards slowly, rather just a thin shower-band. It only produced very light snow grains here, despite favourable temperatures. It was heavy but didnt even produce a dusting, so nothing to report really.

Posted

fairly rapid thaw setting in now near to Reading, most of the snow on the trees is melting off quite fast. nice 2-3cm covering though cant complain lovely to see the white stuff before i head off to California on Saturday for some more!

Posted

About 11-12cm here, still snowly but quite fine now. Temperature has just nudged above freezing, now 0.2C. Fine stuff settling on existing snow cover, but finding it a bit more difficult elsewhere that has been cleared.

Just been watching the kids building a snowman. Poor sods, they haven't got a clue.

Posted

I've been for my drive to higher ground and found solace on the White Horse hill where there was about an inch of even covering and drifts to about 3 inches. Quite amazing to drive across quite a distinct snowline on the way up and to see the snow line when looking down from on high was impressive - also noting snow on higher ground around other towns too.

Sunny now :)

Posted
I agree with that, however, this is the best "leading edge" event that I can recall for a long time. The event that is almost totally absent nowadays is significant snow at the front edge of a cold air mass: i.e. snow that falls and persists. Most of what we get today will be gone by the end of tomorrow. Still, this is a decent event (I'd say slight-moderate) with reasonable slight-moderate national coverage: on a 3x3 grid it would be somewhere in the central box.

Petering out now W of London as well. Probably about 3cm out there level - of course it's 9cm on the grass / bushes / where the ground is soft...

Frankly I'm amazed (but not surprised ) at your rating of slight-moderate, unless you are comparing it to 47 and 63.

Edited by Mr Sleet

Posted
I also think that saturday is a dead cert snow event with quite a lot of disruption for the midlands and north, far from a sleet and rain event, we should even get a couple more hours snow down here .

Looking forward to the minus 8 progged for here tonight.

Yep, Metcheck seem rather keen on the idea also !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Sunny here too. Looks like some heavy showers for this afternoon. The closest thing I may see to winteriness is hail.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

About an inch here now. Very light snow for past hour - is it going to get another kick up the ar5e or is that it?

Posted
I've been for my drive to higher ground and found solace on the White Horse hill where there was about an inch of even covering and drifts to about 3 inches. Quite amazing to drive across quite a distinct snowline on the way up and to see the snow line when looking down from on high was impressive - also noting snow on higher ground around other towns too.

Sunny now :)

How come ere we only had well not even a light covering.Bit of a dissapointment i must say local forecast was sayin 8 -10 cm but we dont even have 1cm grrrr

Posted

I see from the rainfall radar that the front is swinging it way round from the West / South West. Is this going to now fall as rain or will it continue to fall as snow?

Posted

Well just been out in the garden building a snowman! I could'nt resist, the last time i built one was in 91 and my mum built most of that! This was a pure solo effort and im pretty pleased, not the biggest but perfectly formed! :)

It was raining while i was out there so i thought that was it for the snow, but since coming back in its turned back to snow with some rather large flakes, not hard enough to add to the accumulation but its better to look at than rain!

Regards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Been really heavey in Birmingham City center for about the last 30 minutes, after hours of light/moderate falls...

Paths being covered up again after the morning commute melted it away a bit....

The place will be a death trap tonight as temps fall....

Posted
Same on top of my 1 inch of snow!!!!!!! Which is not 1 inch now ... Right you lot where can i go north that is still snowing and has more than 1 inch for me to visit??

Just stopped snowing here on the hills above Basingstoke (near M3 junction 7, only 12 miles away from you). About 8cm of snow on the ground here - but it's just starting to show signs of thawing.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted

You have to laugh. Right now a bbc news 24 special on the snow! I mean really whats going on! :) Its obviously a slow news day, the only thing that hasnt happened is a state of emergency called and a parliamentary debate on the whole matter of snow in the uk in winter. I know its rare now a days but really isnt this a bit over the top!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Bigger flakes falling now as the temp nudges up to 0.0C. 3 inches level on the road now. Up to 6 inches plus on the grass :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Very light snow now - Sun is trying to come through. Quite a scene seeing snow drifting in front of the Sun! Temps now 0.8c - its melting now...

Posted
How come ere we only had well not even a light covering.Bit of a dissapointment i must say local forecast was sayin 8 -10 cm but we dont even have 1cm grrrr

I didn't even get a flake. I think the local forecast last night was having a little bit of a ramp to be honest. They had to outline the risk in case it did happen, but they sounded so sure of themselves.

Posted

Sunny here too. Looks like some heavy showers for this afternoon. The closest thing I may see to winteriness is hail.

Hi SS yeah no what you mean sunny here.. They had about 3inch on Exmoor last night Car in garage so cant get up there to look.. Temps are on the up now.. Might get some hail and thunder..

lol kaz x

Posted

On the grand scale of things I'd probably call this event mod, maybe the lower emd of severe but I think what SF was getting at is when compared to the really massive events that we've had in the past this doesn't quite match up though its very severe when you consider what we've been used ot over the last 10 or so years.

Finally after nearly 7 hours snow is finally easing back to the point where its hardly falling. It should continue to stay light now over my area but looks like staying cold tonight.

Front is further decaying on radar, still some heavier bursts but most of it now plunging into just the light category.

For the south ice is going to be a very severe problem tommorow, can't see a big thaw occuring, evn if it does the ground isn't going to have time to dry off before it re-freezes very rapidly tonight and under the snow ther eis obviously going to be the dangerous black ice still present.

Going to be very tricky to drive tonight i suspect, much care will be needed. Going to also be a very cold day, temps will rise a little during the afternoon but evn then only to 0-3C depending on your exact location and the relation of the front at the time.

Nick, i suppose its a slow news day but its quite a good thing to rmap up and its a classic talking point with the UK people!

(ps, snowfall gotten a little heavier again!)

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Hi SS yeah no what you mean sunny here.. They had about 3inch on Exmoor last night Car in garage so cant get up there to look.. Temps are on the up now.. Might get some hail and thunder..

lol kaz x

Yes, the forecast said there was a risk of hail and thunder. Here's hoping!