Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Despite it being -0C, full cloud cover and still snowing, the snow is thawing rapidly, and the puddles are not frozen at all - odd. At this rate a complete thaw will occur by about 5pm

Posted
I dont think its really a streamer as its moving northwards slowly, rather just a thin shower-band. It only produced very light snow grains here, despite favourable temperatures. It was heavy but didnt even produce a dusting, so nothing to report really.

hey... first post :)

in Kirkella (west Hull) we have about 1cm! :) this wanted expected! Its been quite heavy at times, but the temp is around 1.6 so some parts are a little wet. But still....it counts

Posted

Had a shower of sleety rain which didn't seem to affect the snow too much, but the temperature has climbed to about 3c now and I imagine the thaw will really start to set in. Hoping to go sledging for a bit this afternoon with my sister but not holding my breath!

Posted
Yep , 6-7 inches here and still going ! Best snow for 13 years, and very nice on top of the 3 inches we got two weeks ago.Good to see that even in the " even larger teapot " :rofl: we can get a serious dumping if the synoptics are right, which hasn't often been the case for the last 20 years due to a persistently positive NAO. I also hope it will stop those one or two doomsayers who would have us believe frontal snow was a thing of the past in the UK,a t least until the next mild spell.

I also think that saturday is a dead cert snow event with quite a lot of disruption for the midlands and north, far from a sleet and rain event, we should even get a couple more hours snow down here .

Looking forward to the minus 8 progged for here tonight.

Do you have a train station?? I Dont know what 7 inches looks like!

Posted

heavy snow reported for York now

starting to lay.

in leeds there is now 2cm laying in roundhay.

looks like the snow is going further north thaqn expected

Posted

10cm level here, 12cm in places. Temp rising currently 2.1c. prob hit 3c before falling. lightly snowing. :rofl: Got to go back to work soon and try to get paths clear to open school tomorrow- times like this I like my job (site agent)!

Posted

No real sign of any thaw here, although the temperature has nudged just above freezing, currently at 0.1C. Light snow still falling and accumulating. Just been out with the tape measure and undrifted areas ranged from 11-14cm. So about 5 inches generally. Can't see all that vanishing today.

I too have made a snowman in the back garden which i'm rather proud of. I reused the rancid vegetables that were still on the garden from last, rather sorry effort a couple of weeks ago.

This snowman is 500% bigger.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Can anyone explain please? I keep reading on here people saying thta the snow will keep going through the afternoon but the radar doesn't seem to show that - for most of us it looks over now? Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Posted

For a brief spell last night, the snow turned to grauple, befor turning back to snow again. My understanding of grauple is fairly limited, and so I perhaps incorrectly assume that it's like poorly formed hail.

Could anybody telll me (for interests sake) what was happening to cause the change/what it signified (if anything)?

Posted
Yup - just started snowing in York. A turn up for the books really!

where are you in york mate?

i am just south of the A19 pretty heavy but small flakes.

Posted

Woke up to a nice covering of an inch or so this morning. Has been snowing lightly on and off here since around 8am but we have heavy snowfall now :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

snowing really heavy in brum at the moment, big flakes at last!!!!!

temp -0.5c

Edited by phil b

Posted

Left weather actual, where it should be, but, just to let people know - Oxfordshire got dumped on! 4ins easy. Even Abingdon received the same. Stopped snowing at 1100am, now starting again, but very light, OAT -1c. No thaw

Posted
On the grand scale of things I'd probably call this event mod, maybe the lower emd of severe but I think what SF was getting at is when compared to the really massive events that we've had in the past this doesn't quite match up though its very severe when you consider what we've been used ot over the last 10 or so years.

Finally after nearly 7 hours snow is finally easing back to the point where its hardly falling. It should continue to stay light now over my area but looks like staying cold tonight.

Front is further decaying on radar, still some heavier bursts but most of it now plunging into just the light category.

For the south ice is going to be a very severe problem tommorow, can't see a big thaw occuring, evn if it does the ground isn't going to have time to dry off before it re-freezes very rapidly tonight and under the snow ther eis obviously going to be the dangerous black ice still present.

Going to be very tricky to drive tonight i suspect, much care will be needed. Going to also be a very cold day, temps will rise a little during the afternoon but evn then only to 0-3C depending on your exact location and the relation of the front at the time.

Nick, i suppose its a slow news day but its quite a good thing to rmap up and its a classic talking point with the UK people!

(ps, snowfall gotten a little heavier again!)

Snow? Ice? What Snow? :rofl: Im sticking to my guns this week will be very mild and zonal.... :rofl:

Posted
Sunny here too. Looks like some heavy showers for this afternoon. The closest thing I may see to winteriness is hail.

Possibility of some sferics all along the channel this afternoon, perhaps, after a brief glimpse of the charts - so maybe not all lost.

Posted
hey... first post :rofl:

in Kirkella (west Hull) we have about 1cm! :rofl: this wanted expected! Its been quite heavy at times, but the temp is around 1.6 so some parts are a little wet. But still....it counts

heavy snow reported for York now

starting to lay.

in leeds there is now 2cm laying in roundhay.

looks like the snow is going further north thaqn expected

Cant say Im suprised to be honest, it just extends the spell of poor luck during the last few years for my location!

Posted

I'm really pleased with the snow the way things are going but if anyone has any idea of how long the wash may get snow for could they PLEASE reply because the cover here seems to be quite fragile so a few more hrs would do it some good!

thanks SHU

Posted
where are you in york mate?

i am just south of the A19 pretty heavy but small flakes.

Bootham Crescent, near to footy ground. Just off the centre. Coming down nicely! Been out with the camcorder :rofl:

Posted
Despite it being -0C, full cloud cover and still snowing, the snow is thawing rapidly, and the puddles are not frozen at all - odd. At this rate a complete thaw will occur by about 5pm

Same happened down here stephen, it was melting whilst still snowing.

The roads and pavements are now complete slush although most other places are still snow, the thaw is upon us.

Regards.

Edited by Matty J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Nobody ever answers me on here :rofl: Can anyone explain how it is that people are saying snow will continue all day in the midlands if the radar shows the showers dying out?