Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 8

Posted

Continues to snow here, moderately at times. Still settling at times, but also melting so there is variable cover. My friend says there is little snow north of Norwich, so this band doesn't look like its even going to get through Norfolk.

Posted

I think thats quite fair SF, its not quite a classic and its not a legandary set-up but its quite noteable, esp for considering the climate we ar ein and the very mild months we've just had and while it doesn't qute rank with Feb 91 or other classics, it ay well turn out to be close to 1996 whenall is said and done by Monday, we still haven't got a clea ridea how Sat's system will play out yet either, could end with nearly the whole country seeing snow at some point over the next 72hrs.

Locally I've seen as much and more here but some areas this may wel be some of the heaviest falls since 96 or even 91.

snow falling but has beocme alittle weaker now inbetween pluses but i think after the next use there won't be much more in the way of mod snow and it'll turn more patchy from now on.

Finally frontal system is now clearly decaying and starting to rope out. Expect to see the front thin further and further with larger and larger dry gaps inbetween the front formingwhich is clearly evident right now, a little dryslot running through East Anglia and s.Midlands right now which is a tell-tale sign that a front is weakening.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

Still snowing here on Merseyside about 2-3cm now. :drinks:

Posted

well has been snowing here since like 7am and hasnt stopped, the heavier band heading my way would be nice, hopefully that won't decay, please don't decay

Posted
Still coming down fiercely here in North Oxfordshire. NW's homepage gives me a 60% chance of snow !! - cheers guys, can't see my car for snow !!

God help me when I get a 100% chance of snow :drinks::cold:

It gave me a 45% chance and yet I am sitting here looking at beteen 5 and 6 inches of the stuff and its still snowing and has been constantly since I woke up at 6am. Not too accurate me thinks, lol.

Posted

Taken about an hour apart-never really started here until aroing 8am.

0802200701.JPG

0802200702.JPG

Coming down heavier now.

Posted

I assume that the front that is bringing the snow is still cominig in by the reports that are coming in so can anyone tell how many hours (if any) 10 miles west of the wash would get? :drinks:

thanks in advance SHU

Posted
I think thats quite fair SF, its not quite a classic and its not a legandary set-up but its quite noteable, esp for considering the climate we ar ein and the very mild months we've just had and while it doesn't qute rank with Feb 91 or other classics, it ay well turn out to be close to 1996 whenall is said and done by Monday, we still haven't got a clea ridea how Sat's system will play out yet either, could end with nearly the whole country seeing snow at some point over the next 72hrs.

Locally I've seen as much and more here but some areas this may wel be some of the heaviest falls since 96 or even 91.

I've certainly got a selfish eye on Saturday, though haven't checked the detailed atmospherics yet. On the face of it it looks like the northern areas not in today's firing line are most favoured, but I see the w/e as much more high-ground marginal. Probably a big sleet / "ice rain" event at best for most of us.

Posted
well has been snowing here since like 7am and hasnt stopped, the heavier band heading my way would be nice, hopefully that won't decay, please don't decay

Not sure you'll cop what I'm getting. But the snow I cleared at 8am has been replaced and added to !!

Biggest flakes I've seen for 15 yrs +

Posted
Daniels got the car for work!! I have to use the train!!!!!!!!!!!

Still going strong here! Slowed down a few minutes ago but the wind has picked up again and it's coming down more quickly albeit smaller flakes.

Did some measuring and I have 2" right by the back door but more on the grass and it has drifted onto the side of the conservatory and is approaching a foot there :cold::drinks:

Bloke on radio 5 Live saying heaviest snow in Worcester since 1982 - he just measured 10.2cm near the Cathedral. Roads into Worcester city centre are in a right state, lots of A roads in Hereford and Worcester are now "unpassable".

Posted

Runboy where are you? Im at Thorpe Hamlet at the moment and its lovely here with a good covering on the ground and still snowing and apparently the front edge that was here about an hour ago has just reached home fingers crossed for a huge load between now and tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

We have some snow but it has been light all along so nothing amazing. Looking at the radar it will stop soon too - can't see anymore heading this way so will that be it for the midlands?

Posted
Still going strong here! Slowed down a few minutes ago but the wind has picked up again and it's coming down more quickly albeit smaller flakes.

Did some measuring and I have 2" right by the back door but more on the grass and it has drifted onto the side of the conservatory and is approaching a foot there :):)

Bloke on radio 5 Live saying heaviest snow in Worcester since 1982 - he just measured 10.2cm near the Cathedral. Roads into Worcester city centre are in a right state, lots of A roads in Hereford and Worcester are now "unpassable".

Well I know trying to get off my estate is going to be a nightmare so I aint gonna try. Don't know what the state of the main roads are round here, but i aint heard a train all morning.

Posted

Not quite a 91 event for me, due to the fact the snow never melted for a couple of days for a start. But this has been the best since, due to the fact its suppose to be raining now according to the forcasts yesterday etc.

And after an incredible mild winter,who would of thought id be seeing this in feb.

I know it aint gonna last, but i dont bloody care. todays been great and looks like its gonna be over for me soon. just hope the snow hangs around a bit more for the kids, who for some of them have never had enough snow to throw a snowball let alone a snowman which my 4 year old nephew has done today.

Posted

Moderate snow central London now with large flakes. Looking at the 1030 radar though its probably the final fling.

Posted
Very heavy snow here right now, about 10cm of snow laying at the moment.

Hi Again Magpie.

its stopped here now - is that it for us or can we expect more showers during the day?

Posted

Does anyone know if there is any snow anywhere not too far from Manchester, with hills etc, so we can all go sledging??? There was supposed to be accumilations here but nothing has stuck! So you know, places like Buxton, Snake Pass, etc.

Posted

SNOW SNOW SNOW!

Well, I must say, im over the moon with this snowfall. We here in surrey have had 6-7cm giving a very good covering - its looks beautiful! Like a christmas card.

2 decent falls in 2 weeks not doing bad this winter.

Was not happy that the weatherman on ITV This Morning who just said that's your snow for the south for this winter! (hope not, I want more!!!)

But I must say, I would love to get some more between now and April!! Who knows.... something even better might be just around the corner?!!

Posted
Not sure you'll cop what I'm getting. But the snow I cleared at 8am has been replaced and added to !!

Biggest flakes I've seen for 15 yrs +

Yep , 6-7 inches here and still going ! Best snow for 13 years, and very nice on top of the 3 inches we got two weeks ago.Good to see that even in the " even larger teapot " :) we can get a serious dumping if the synoptics are right, which hasn't often been the case for the last 20 years due to a persistently positive NAO. I also hope it will stop those one or two doomsayers who would have us believe frontal snow was a thing of the past in the UK,a t least until the next mild spell.

I also think that saturday is a dead cert snow event with quite a lot of disruption for the midlands and north, far from a sleet and rain event, we should even get a couple more hours snow down here .

Looking forward to the minus 8 progged for here tonight.

Edited by Mr Sleet

Posted

By the way, looks like there is currently a Humber streamer occuring, a clear line of heavy showers working in from the north-sea as winds turn easterly ahead of the front, as i found out last night with snow bowing into my eyes as my room is east facing!

anyone near that reigon with those showers could say what they are like, i presume inland they are giving snow and the band has moved about 20 miles north in the last 2hrs and while thin must be giving a couple of cms in a short period of time.

Nanu, I agree, i was just amking that point a little while ago, i don't recall other very mild winters having a set-up quite like this one, well there may have been but in very mild winter (which Dec+Jan have been) it must be rare!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
SNOW SNOW SNOW!

Well, I must say, im over the moon with this snowfall. We here in surrey have had 6-7cm giving a very good covering - its looks beautiful! Like a christmas card.

2 decent falls in 2 weeks not doing bad this winter.

Was not happy that the weatherman on ITV This Morning who just said that's your snow for the south for this winter! (hope not, I want more!!!)

But I must say, I would love to get some more between now and April!! Who knows.... something even better might be just around the corner?!!

They are far to fast to predict that no more snow will fall.