Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
I agree it will stall, but I don't think that the 'stall point' has necessarily been reached yet. The only reason I say this is that northerly progress, from radars at least, has probably been a little more progressive than had been forecast.

Are you getting any PTFD? you must be surely as your only 8 miles from me. So do you think we could get a bit more?

Edited by James M

Posted

Got a good 2" now and still moderate snow! Here's a picture of the Witchazel just outside my front window. witchhazeluz0.th.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Raining here now

Posted
Im amazed you haven't had anything because I have had constant snow since 7am with a very good covering now. Where exactly is your location because are you in Spalding or further NE towards Holbeach?

now have an inch on roads and paths, slightly more on grass :wallbash: even the dog turds are covered :cc_confused:

Edited by dapick2002

Posted

Still snowing hard here, a magical site outside. Enjoying every minute as I may not see this again for another 10+ years!!

Posted

Heavier band really getting better organised now, not quite as potent as lasts nights set-up but still qute heavy on the back-edge of that front with the help of a deeloping front plus the tight graident between the entrenched cold air to its north and the mild air trying so hard to push in from the south. If i was to place the area of heaviest precip it would be this area along the back-edge of the frontal system you can clearly see it streching from central Wales through to Kent and its moving NNE right now. Once its passed really ither eprobably won't be that much more snow for the south so the back-edge is the main feature to watch down here. Further north and the front is making very little nrthward progression still so to the north of that back-edge or in the back-edge it may wlel be that the snowfall in the Midlands could be quite noteable, if it isn't already of course!

As Dave said, there is going to be some utterly bitter temps tonight, tohugh the beeb seem to think that won't be the case, if the skies clear then -10C over snow-fields sn't unlikely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Light snow here. DP is falling again (now -0.8c) with temps holding at 0.5c.

System seems to be stalling now so not expecting anything too much here now. I reckon it'll begin breaking up soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
Yes your right Karl, however at least i do have snow on the ground at the minute where as a certain someone probably doesn't??

Saying that you'll probably end up getting far more then me at some point up there, well you certainly will.

Given the place i live I have seen this type of snowfall abit, even over the past 4 winters, Jan 2003 had more locally, Jan 2004 had just a touch more but its always pleasent to see snow, esp after such a mild Dec and Jan!!!

still watching a area of heavier precip to the west of London because it loosk heavy but right now a are aof slightly heavier precip from Kent working up now which is making its presence felt right now here.

We never seem to get persistent snow up here, it's normally just showers on and off and today is crisp and sunny although there is a slight snowcover from showers on tuesday night. Hopefully I will see proper snow for a change either over the weekend or early next week as the easterly winds freshen. I noticed the snow has spread into west and south yorkshire about 8 hours before the bbc national forecast said it would, haha. :cc_confused:

Edited by Frosty039

Posted
As expected the snow's not making much if any impact this far north. I have to travel to Manchester to work at 11am, and at this present moment in time, it looks like I will be taking the car. I hope I don't live to regret that lol

Anyway worse case scenario is I leave the car at work, and get the bus home.

It does seem to be coming as far north as manchester but lacks any strength when it gets there, there is quite a bit of snow falling in parts of east cheshire and to the east and west of manchester going by reports.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
The met office site is still showing snow over us by 9pm this evening!!!

That would mean 15 hours of snowfall - even if its light there will end up a good covering. :wallbash:

Im in north east derbyshire in between chesterfield and sheffield does the same apply to us ?? :cc_confused:

Posted
now have an inch on roads and paths, slightly more on grass :wallbash: even the dog turds are covered :cc_confused:

Difficult to tell at the moment but I would say around 2-3inches here.

Posted

Hi all,

Yippee! About 10, maybe 12cms here in Barnet so far and still coming down sometimes quite hard.

Net weather radar shows the front is very slow moving now (Carinthian suggested a "Quasi Stationary Front" last night - might be a good call.

More stronger pulses forming on the back edge of the front near London and heading my way...

I have my son here at work with me - his school is closed - but we're going sledding this afternoon.!

smich

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Stopped snowing here but the wind is really getting up now. Hopefully we'll get more soon. Forecast has us down for snow up to mid-afternoon.

Posted

boohoo :wallbash: looks like a thaw is happening (be it a slow one)

But good news is its just started to snow again.. and er.. getting dark. :cc_confused:

Posted
Raining here now

Same on top of my 1 inch of snow!!!!!!! Which is not 1 inch now ... Right you lot where can i go north that is still snowing and has more than 1 inch for me to visit??

Posted

Pic from my back garden.. 7cm here (measured with ruler!) but stopped now. Kids sledging in the field opposite... something that hasn't happened for years! Possibly our heaviest slowfall for around a decade.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/rona...b8th2007020.jpg

Posted
It does seem to be coming as far north as manchester but lacks any strength when it gets there, there is quite a bit of snow falling in parts of east cheshire and to the east and west of manchester going by reports.

Yes, still only snow grains blowing in the wind here though. Unless it deteriorates rapidly in the next hour, I'll be going to work in the car. What it will be like at 8Pm <--- I'm leaving that smilie there, it was unintentional, I was only trying to state 20 hundred hours in am/pm mode lol--> this evening, is another matter entirely lol - I love this will it/won't it malarky. :cc_confused:

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
Can anyone see any heavier stuff getting this far north?!

looking t the latest gfs (6z) we could see the heaviest around midday, but also saturday is starting to look more interesting for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well its getting a bit heavier here though its still small flakes, we have a good 1cm now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Some variation here. Snow levels as follows:

Road - 6/7 cm

Front lawn - 9 cm

Back lawn - 13 cm

Drifting against fences - approaching a foot lol.

Posted
The forecasters said we’d get nothing, most on here did – but it’s leathering it down here in West Yorks – looks to me as if the band is stronger than most expected up here??????? Can anyone agree???

?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still snowing god here. we have about 4 inches of snow currently in some parts around here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
Are you getting any PTFD? you must be surely as your only 8 miles from me. So do you think we could get a bit more?

Sorry James, I'm at work now, which is E Leeds, where, unexpectedly, it's just started snowing, but looking at the radar it won't last. And looking at how things are developing over the last hour, I reckon the 'M62 corridor' is going to end up about 50 miles too far north, (but too far south for anything memorable on Saturday).