Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 8

Posted
Looks like the SW Midlands has lead a very charmed life for the last 2 hrs - and no sign of it abating just yet. 12cms already now min. depth. here just outside of Pershore.

Stopped snowing here in Cheltenham - some more on the metoffice radar in south wales - anyone confirm if this is falling as rain/snow?

Posted
Gone really dark here in Beverley, East Yorkshire - THE STREAMER IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/su...=;prec=y;scale=

gobbyash

if anyone is wondering where i am, i'm in the white circle with ppn all around me.

*note to self* stop moaning.

well done everyone else. :drinks:

Posted
Looks like the SW Midlands has lead a very charmed life for the last 2 hrs - and no sign of it abating just yet. 12cms already now min. depth. here just outside of Pershore.

e-mail it to me and I'll host it for you, am dying to see all this snow you have...

torz@fatbuzzy.co.uk

Posted

Looks like parts of Worcestershire could be the sweet spot for today's event. Everyone who's posted from that region, has made reference to having had bucket loads of snow. Wonder which part of the country will claim the higest snowfall before days out?

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
its fairly heavy here, but i wouldn't say its blizzard conditions....yet.

hhhmmm just got slightly lighter here but the heaviest its been all morning!

Posted
Hiya! Head up the A34 towards Newbury and stop off at Beacon Hill..

Daniels got the car for work!! I have to use the train!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
Hmm ill try but i dont know how to upload it here.

If i do upload it here ill try and do that later!

mail it to me and I'll host it for you....

torz@fatbuzzy.co.uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Looks like parts of Worcestershire could be the sweet spot for today's event. Everyone who's posted from that region, has made reference to having had bucket loads of snow. Wonder which part of the country will claim the higest snowfall before days out?

yep bad here with heavy snow still falling and i think this will go on for at least 3 more hours!

yep bad here with heavy snow still falling and i think this will go on for at least 3 more hours!

Posted

Temps currently 1.8C. Decent snow cover here in fact more than I expected but light rain now falling so maybe thats it for this area. Have to say the forecasts have been pretty spot on. Good to see younger peeps having fun but us older lags have to say the event is not comparable to the severe cold events of the 70's 80's and 91 or even 96. Then you'd have frozen snow covered ice impacted pavements rather than the slush of today.

Posted

No doubt that this event has delivered exactly as looked likely yesterday afternoon: the "golden triangle" around the S Mids has definitely bagged it.

Very interesting and unusual surface just now. The plot below demonstrated precisely why forecasting these events is so hard: the margin between warm and cold is narrow, and 50-100 miles is nothing at 2-3 days' distance. For once we have a set-up that has stayed reasonably stable.

post-364-1170930633_thumb.png

Posted

Still coming down fiercely here in North Oxfordshire. NW's homepage gives me a 60% chance of snow !! - cheers guys, can't see my car for snow !!

God help me when I get a 100% chance of snow :drinks::cold:

Posted

snows over for us today. Melting fast and if we get a frost tonight then it will be bad on the roads tommorrow.

Shame it's all over but am glad because my daughter left for Stansted thismorning at 4am got there OK but then the airport closed and her flight to Stugard has been canceled she is now waiting to fly to Cologne and will hopefully leave at 5pm then she has a three hour trip to Sttugard so this could not have come at a warse tiem for her this is an exchange trip so she is stuck.

I hope there is no more snow till Thursday of next week as she is supposed to be coming home tuesday.

Posted

TEITS you are one lucky man! Afraid that snowman I promised you isn't going to happen! Snow all around and all I get is a few flakes. Enjoy it, kick back with a cuppa and revel in that fluffy stuff!

Posted

Good to hear GP, west Midlands was always likely to be prime for snow so its good to hear you guys are getting hammered by snow, makes even my 8cms look quite small!!

You guys will also get hit pretty hard by the back-edge which is really developing quite neatly accordin gtothe radar.

Still as expected further radar frames confirm that the frontal system is decaying now with further growing of the dry slots. As it happesn my location looks pretty good for the next hour with a line of mod snow pver the area wit hthe back-edge tilting just in the right place to give me a good shot at long lasting mod snowfall, that happened this morning and had one band after another for a good 2hrs, may well be the case this will happen again though with the front decaying as forcing decreases the bands probably won't be as strong as the last one.

anyway snowing moderatly, settling on grass and despite slight thaw now have re0gained any lost snow and snowpack on the grass is building slightly again depsite higher dew-points and temps then last night.

let it snow let it snow let it snow, it has been doing so for the last 6 and a half hours.

(ps, fair to say fronts can still do it in the Uk then, thats one question about GW answered today i suppose, set-up isn't quite a classic, lack of real cold pool to the north BUT considering we;ve just had one of our warmest Jan's ever, this is qute amazing, i don't recall 97-98/88-89 having anything like this!)

Edited by kold weather

Posted

woot if theres still snow in N oxfordshire there must be plenty more for here!

When the wind picks up here it definately is a blizzard here!

woot if theres still snow in N oxfordshire there must be plenty more for here!

When the wind picks up here it definately is a blizzard here!

Posted
Temps currently 1.8C. Decent snow cover here in fact more than I expected but light rain now falling so maybe thats it for this area. Have to say the forecasts have been pretty spot on. Good to see younger peeps having fun but us older lags have to say the event is not comparable to the severe cold events of the 70's 80's and 91 or even 96. Then you'd have frozen snow covered ice impacted pavements rather than the slush of today.

I agree with that, however, this is the best "leading edge" event that I can recall for a long time. The event that is almost totally absent nowadays is significant snow at the front edge of a cold air mass: i.e. snow that falls and persists. Most of what we get today will be gone by the end of tomorrow. Still, this is a decent event (I'd say slight-moderate) with reasonable slight-moderate national coverage: on a 3x3 grid it would be somewhere in the central box.

Petering out now W of London as well. Probably about 3cm out there level - of course it's 9cm on the grass / bushes / where the ground is soft...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow & more snow

Well theres no snow up here, in glasgow tho its been frosty during the night -3 it got to before rising to 0 at 7am with hight cloud apporoaching from sw..

Any chance of lots of the white stuff reaching us later today/tomorrow

Posted
Well theres no snow up here, in glasgow tho its been frosty during the night -3 it got to before rising to 0 at 7am with hight cloud apporoaching from sw..

Any chance of lots of the white stuff reaching us later today/tomorrow

todays snow will of fizzled out by the time it gets to you!