Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 8

Posted
Dont think so mate, rain all day more like. Your temp is rising all the time, lots of rain in Bristol at the minute.

Don't think so mate the temps have actually dropped in our region to -1C!.

Today the temps are expected to remain around 0C throughout the day. There is a massive difference between Bristol and E Midlands not just synoptically but weatherwise today.

Posted
Still snowing here but the flakes are really really tiny still, although it's been like this all morning there's still, if we're lucky, only 0.5cm on the ground. All I want is just five minutes of big juicy flakes.. that's not too much to ask is it?!!

Noticed someone was travelling in to Manchester and wondering about the state of the weather? Well there's no snow in the centre that's for sure. Hubby called a few minutes ago from the office, and I checked on the bbc webcam too.

L

In this day & age just be grateful for anything :drinks: At least it's not rain all the doom & gloom merchants were predicting :)

Posted

Fabulous, fabulous stuff. Started at 3.30am in my location and has just started to ease off over here in Bromley, NW Kent. Probably about 2-3 inches or so. Great snow, really sticky, it ain't cold and not a breath of wind. Closed schools, pah! We've just had a monster snowball fight in the playground (mind you, that's the teachers, there are hardly any kids here!). Feel those endorphines... Bliss.

Edited by pureasthedriven

Posted

Chalk-the front looks like its decaying quite rapidly actually on its eastern sid ehaving a quick look at it howeer yeah you will need to watch the back-edge, its over me right now (though intrestingly I might be far enough north to catch some of the mess behind the front as well!) and it is giving decent snowfall rates right now and it is still settling on the grass, nice big flakes as well!!

Still looks good for the Midlands but for n.England the front may wel lbe on the way out by the time the core reaches you, it seems to be decaying from the east westwards at the moment, evident decay over East Anglia over the past couple of hours and a couple of dry slots in the fronts themslees appearing to be growing right now which would also suggest that this front is now decaying. Not that it'll matter muchfor the Midland southwards and maybe southern part of N.England, still looks like being a very snowy few hours like forecasted.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

I dont know what time it started snowing here in kidderminster, but when i got up at 6am there was already a really good covering. From looking at the lamp post right outside our house it looked to be the fine stuff.

Still snowing now and the cat definitely aint happy as he dived outside like he usually does, then realised that it this white stuff was cold and wet so darted back in and gave me and my other half dirty looks :drinks:

At least we dont have to break the ice on the pond today, there was 1/2 inch on it yesterday :)

Everyone who's affected be careful out there.

Posted
In this day & age just be grateful for anything :drinks: At least it's not rain all the doom & gloom merchants were predicting :)

Well, yes, and no.

It is easy to default to finding a method to undo what models predict, especially when it comes to cold weather and snow. In fact, to do this, would probably improve one's reading of the charts over the course of a decade some 50% or so. However, it is *always* useful to have such people about as they easily find fault with the setup in that they can see how it collapses and other people can factor in what they say accordingly and assign some judgement to a persistant call of collapse.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
Noticed someone was travelling in to Manchester and wondering about the state of the weather? Well there's no snow in the centre that's for sure. Hubby called a few minutes ago from the office, and I checked on the bbc webcam too.

That might be me, Louise. I'm setting off for work in Manchester in 45mins time. I was wondering what it was like 8 miles to the south, but it looks like they are in the same boat at the rest of the North West....i.e. not a great deal happening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Well, rather surprisingly we now have enough snow here to be described as a 'covering' ! It will probably peter out fairly soon, but to be honest half an hour of reasonable snowfall is about half an hour more than I expected today !

Posted
What the hell is going on its stopping here in sheffield can someone please tell me whether there will be any more heavy snow. :drinks:

The morning snow is a total bonus. The main snow is not progged to reach us until the afternoon, with the heavier stuff later on in the day. I woke to snow outside and was pleasantly surprised because I expected it to be clear. I am in Rotherham, but essentially Sheffield will take a bigger hit than I will because of the elevation. Chin up - we have something and more to come.

UTB.

Posted

Snowing in Norwich now and seems to be getting heavier still relatively small flakes though, I hope this is just the front of it and we're going to get absolutely dumped on :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Theres a band of showers passing here, mainly to my south just light snow here.

Looks like PP could be getting a fair bit.

About 1-2cm here.

The east coast of the North East must be one of the warmest places in the country at the moment, due to the strengthening onshore wind.

It was a clear night with some scattered showers (Cleadon appeared to miss most, if not all, of them, taking a pronounced 'dry line' between two areas of showers at 0:30am with showers passing away to the north and south) up until 4am with a temp oscillating between -1 and -2C. There was a heavy hail shower that covered the ground with about 1cm at 4:30am, then since then the temp has been steadily rising, and the lying snow and hail has been thawing.

It's 4C at the moment, although GFS progs suggest that it should get back down towards freezing overnight as precipitation encroaches from the south and east; maybe some more snow esp. for inland parts of the region.

It's clearly coastal as Paul Tall reported lying snow in Newton Aycliffe at 9am, while I was reporting 4C.

Posted
Gone really dark here in Beverley, East Yorkshire - THE STREAMER IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/su...=;prec=y;scale=

gobbyash

We have beautiful SNOW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
I dont know what time it started snowing here in kidderminster, but when i got up at 6am there was already a really good covering. From looking at the lamp post right outside our house it looked to be the fine stuff.

Still snowing now and the cat definitely aint happy as he dived outside like he usually does, then realised that it this white stuff was cold and wet so darted back in and gave me and my other half dirty looks :drinks:

At least we dont have to break the ice on the pond today, there was 1/2 inch on it yesterday :)

Everyone who's affected be careful out there.

Im only a few miles from you and im being affected badly in a blizzard here!

Posted
Fabulous, fabulous stuff. Started at 3.30am in my location and has just started to ease off over here in Bromley, NW Kent. Probably about 2-3 inches or so. Great snow, really sticky, it ain't cold and not a breath of wind. Closed schools, pah! We've just had a monster snowball fight in the playground (mind you, that's the teachers, there are hardly any kids here!). Feel those endorphines... Bliss.

That is what i like to hear.. just like the old days :)

Anyway just started coming down big time again. might be the last pulse for today as the front is def decaying and breaking up.. but what a great morning :drinks:

Posted
Im only a few miles from you and im being affected badly in a blizzard here!

can you get a picture :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather
I dont know what time it started snowing here in kidderminster, but when i got up at 6am there was already a really good covering.

Looks like the SW Midlands has lead a very charmed life for the last 2 hrs - and no sign of it abating just yet. 12cms already now min. depth. here just outside of Pershore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
can you get a picture :drinks:

Hmm ill try but i dont know how to upload it here.

If i do upload it here ill try and do that later!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Is it just me or has the wind completely changed direction.....

Looking at the radar it seems to be coming from the East now and is predicted to do so all afternoon....

We have aboput 2 cm here in Derby it gets heavy then lighter then heavy again.... Temps holding steady between 0.2 -0.4c...

Lets hope it stalls on me the kids have had to go to school and were NOT happy about it!!!

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Snow stopped earlier but is falling again now. Very, very fine though. You almost need a magnifying glass to see it with!. Sky has brightened up too, unfortunately. Oh for bigger fatter flakes.