Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 12

Posted

3cm here and thats without any heavy stuff... Doesnt look like theres guna be any now, unless that narrow band stretching from the humber west spreads further north and maintains its intensity..

Posted

post-4544-1171055061_thumb.jpg Well snow is still here, despite the rain it is taking a long time to thaw. Thought I'd post a photo of my hubbie from yesterday standing up to the top of his wellies in snow :) . It was about 9.30am and we'd already been sledging for at least an hour!

Edit: well nearly up to the top of his wellies lol!

Edited by Daisy

Posted

Just thought I would add this from my local newspaper.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/ViewArt...p;SectionID=845

Has the world gone mad!!

When I was a child we used to put stones into the snowballs. Probably this is why they are banned these days!.

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Hi Guys,

Something odd here in Wales - we have had heavy snow all day - very bad roads etc - and the gritters were out occasionally - gritting.

Nothing odd there - we now have rain - although a cold wind has come up - and I have jsut seen 2 gritters go pass my house with a plough attached - eh?

I think there is only rain to follow - unsure now?

JK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Snowing heavily now in sheff and wind picked up.Strange tho loads of snow but trees dripping with water.Dew points on the up me thinks. :)

Posted
I wouldn't say this cold spell is short because it began on Monday.

Even the mighty 63 winter had many quiet sunny, very cold days. Winters like 47 where snow fell nearly every day really are the exception to the rule.

This cold spell has been different to many in our recent winters because we have had frontal snowfalls rather than showers and looking at some members pics it has been a very productive cold spell for some.

Dont get me wrong loved having a day of snow and the cold temps before, It would of been nice to have a top up and actually spend some time with the kids playing in the snow by the time i got home on thursday is was mostly slush, As a kid the snow used to stay at least for 3 to 4 days,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Has the world gone mad!!

When I was a child we used to put stones into the snowballs. Probably this is why they are banned these days!.

try been hit in this face at full force with an ice laden snowball with a stone on it and believe you me it damn sure hurts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
No.

ahhh not even a bit as the met office predicts some for a bit!

Posted

Has the world gone mad!!

I used to have great fun watching the innocent suffer icy hell at the hands of the psycho 5th years (when 5th year meant 5th year and not 3 years old or whatever it is now).

I was officially outraged, inwardly perhaps a little smitten.

Posted

Has the world gone mad!!

''He said pupils would be allowed to visit reception to hand in their coursework.''

:) like hell thats guna happen!....

Posted

Snow just starting to pick up here in Doncaster, If it keeps going like this we may get a decent accumulation after all, not before time too!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
My mum and dad drove from my house in killamarsh to Dronfield and was nearly stranded at the top of marsh lane that was an hour and half ago and the snow is still really heavy so i think unless the gritters have been out i think the road would be impassable by now.

Gritters have knocked for the night. I think they slightly misjudged the conditions and when it was wet snow and sleet presumed it would continue as such. Of course oursleves on Net Weather knew different. They certainly should have been out after six as the roads were getting tricky then

Posted
Snow just starting to pick up here in Doncaster, If it keeps going like this we may get a decent accumulation after all, not before time too!!!!

Yep that narrow band of heavy precipitation I was talking about has shifted north. Hopefully it will stick around for quite a while! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

See A video of Snow from the West Midlands here: Express and Star

And Pictures from the West Midlands here: Snow from around Kidderminster and Dudley and Wolverhampton

Posted
Dont get me wrong loved having a day of snow and the cold temps before, It would of been nice to have a top up and actually spend some time with the kids playing in the snow by the time i got home on thursday is was mostly slush, As a kid the snow used to stay at least for 3 to 4 days,

I agree the actual length of time the snow has remained is rather disappointing for some but TBH from the synoptic set up that we have the weather has produced quiet nicely for some. The problem is this isn't a true classic cold set up and we haven't really had any truly cold air so the snowfall amounts have been quiet impressive.

A perfect cold spell IMO is one where you have a few days of frosts which lay all day and then the snow arrives with max temps below freezing.

Once this cold spell is over im going to make a post explaining the difference between cold spells and what I term true classic synoptic cold spells which TBh we haven't seen since I joined this forum. I think sometimes some members look at the charts and instantly assume that when the wind is N or E then a cold spell with snow is certain without looking at the wider picture.

Hopefully my post will explain the differences between these and what to look out for in the models in future.

Posted
ahhh not even a bit as the met office predicts some for a bit!

although they got thursday spot on, today they didnt and regards to snowfall from the next band they are probably just covering themselves incase of the unexpected, just looking at all the ingredients that are needed for snow id give up on this thread and start model watching again. :):) the winter still continues and with it seemingly more like jan/feb/march these days theres plenty of time left yet :)

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

The kids are very excited and wont go to bed, they are lamp post watching, (trained em well!!) best of it is we have 1cm of snow....ah bless em

Posted

Interestingly its colder over cornwall and devon than many parts of the se.

The fax chart shows why with a small clump of milder air in between those fronts near the se.

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/bracka.gif

I'd agree with EITS this may have been a decent snow event for some people but doesnt really go down as a good cold spell if you know what I mean, for that IMO you need days of snow on the ground and frosty nights and the snow to remain not get washed away as seems likely tomorrow.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Has the world gone mad!!

What happened to having fun.

I think this health and safety thing has gone too far these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
I agree the actual length of time the snow has remained is rather disappointing for some but TBH from the synoptic set up that we have the weather has produced quiet nicely for some. The problem is this isn't a true classic cold set up and we haven't really had any truly cold air so the snowfall amounts have been quiet impressive.

A perfect cold spell IMO is one where you have a few days of frosts which lay all day and then the snow arrives with max temps below freezing.

Once this cold spell is over im going to make a post explaining the difference between cold spells and what I term true classic synoptic cold spells which TBh we haven't seen since I joined this forum. I think sometimes some members look at the charts and instantly assume that when the wind is N or E then a cold spell with snow is certain without looking at the wider picture.

Hopefully my post will explain the differences between these and what to look out for in the models in future.

Fully agree. People have short memories. i look fwd to your explanation

Posted
What a great post :) (completely off topic of course), but tres amusent all the same. Just to cheer everyone up, still snowing quite nicely here - we may be playing catch-up with some other parts of the country, but as long as there's still enough left tomorrow morning for some sledging, that'll do me !

Thanks, PTFD! I'm glad someone read it!

Regards,

Mike.

Edited by Winston

Posted

Look forward to it and hope to learn something from this cold spell and heres to the next :)

Posted
Thanks, PTFD! I'm glad someone read it!

Regards,

Mike.

Great post. Stay well Mike :)

Robert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
Gritters have knocked for the night. I think they slightly misjudged the conditions and when it was wet snow and sleet presumed it would continue as such. Of course oursleves on Net Weather knew different. They certainly should have been out after six as the roads were getting tricky then

My family didn't think it would be that bad as in killamarsh teh snow didn't start to settle till around 4.30 when the tempreture started dropping and i warned everyone it would happen and the roads would become impassable luckily they took my advice and set off just in time.

Most roads around Dronfield upwards are impassable according to my dad now and many other people have reported on the sheffield forum that buses have stopped running or running limited service as they can't get to certain areas.

Even here in killamarsh we have a good 3 to 5 inches i would hazard a guess at and tghe roads here are getting impassable i would dread to think what it's like at owler bar up to fox house i bet there is over a foot up there inlcluding yesterdays snow.