Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 12

Posted
Hi Deelightuk.

Could you let me know what your temps and Dew points are where you live if poss,

so I can compare them to mine please!

Brian :clap:

Hi Brian,

Temp is 0.4 and dewpoint is -0.8. Its been snowing lightly here for the past 3 hours and we're lucky if we have half a centimetre!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
its raining, is it me or has the snow been masivly overhyped?

Snow here but compaired to Snow falls years gone by like in the late seventies and early eighties yes rather over hyped. In those days four hours of Snow could well give you a foot not a measly one to two inches. Looking like the next batch may already be changing over to Sleet as it moves North.

Posted

Well - what can i say. Here we are at 20:50 in S12 (Sheffield) , and the picture outside is a throwback to the eighties/early nineties - the main road i live on is insurpassable to all vehicles, - the most snow i think since the early nineties , and the schnee just keeps on coming!!

Been snowing readily since 12:15 now, only started sticking around 16:00, but easily have 6-7 inches of lying snow, and up to 9-10 in the drifts.

All this after my downbeat mood of last night - very memorable event, even if it probably will have all gone by this time tomorrow!

PIT - Whereabouts in Sheff are you?

Posted

can some enlighten me as to why all the telephone wires out side my house are wobbling around like crazy :D .....now they are fully laden with snow but there's not a breath of wind ....its really doing my head in :clap:

Posted
Robert, I'm sure you mean well but seriously, please don't talk as if you know everything that the weather is going to bring over the coming x months, it really doesn't do your credibility any favours at all.

Hi, Paul. I've got no strong opinion one way or another about Robert's methodology, but I don't think he's being immodest, malicious or inappropriately self-promoting :-he's being quite the opposite as I see it. Faith? I got out of bed this morning convinced that I would not die today - isn't that an act of faith, considering that many people in the same boat as myself are now dead? Arthur C. Clarke remarked that today's technology would be indistinguishable from magic to a person born 100 years ago, so what sort of call can I make, both as a scientist and a Christian, about anyone's methodology or beliefs? Every scientific methodological / analytical system is a belief system: look what happened to Galileo and Copernicus for challenging the prevailing methodology with their 'heretical' science . There are plenty of scientists alive today who are convinced that they are going to Heaven when they die. 'There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio...' and if nothing else, Robert is a one-off that spices up the forums: particularly when those forums can be peppered with badly informed observations such as my own! Relax! It's fun. One way or another, we'll all know for sure whether he's right or wrong in about 50 years or so!! (sooner, in my case!). George Santayana reminds us in his writings that a fanatic is one who redoubles his efforts long after he has lost his way - postings by a very small number of people who are convinced they are absolutely right annoy me much more than a harmless individual like Robert with a 'discredited' outlook on the world. This isn't a diatribe against you Paul; please don't think it is - I would never criticise folks on NW; that's a cardinal sin in my book. I simply believe that we all have our tale to tell and it's very important that we find our voice in order to tell it. Life's brief enough - enjoy it while you can. When you've been dead for 100,000,000 million years, that's just a fraction of the time you'll be dead for!!!!!!

By the way, its sleeting now in Birmingham and I'm extremely p****d off at those on the 'other side' for allowing this to happen - to say nothing about the b*****s at the Met Office for their unerringly inaccurate short-term forecasts! It's bell, book and candle time, I'm afraid!!

With every best wish,

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings and sincere apologies, mods.

Mike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Well - what can i say. Here we are at 20:50 in S12 (Sheffield) , and the picture outside is a throwback to the eighties/early nineties - the main road i live on is insurpassable to all vehicles, - the most snow i think since the early nineties , and the schnee just keeps on coming!!

Been snowing readily since 12:15 now, only started sticking around 16:00, but easily have 6-7 inches of lying snow, and up to 9-10 in the drifts.

All this after my downbeat mood of last night - very memorable event, even if it probably will have all gone by this time tomorrow!

PIT - Whereabouts in Sheff are you?

I live in Norton Lees area on Derbyshire lane. Just walked half way to Graves park about 3 to 4 inches there max so I think 6 to 7 unless you in a place close to Holmesfield is a little optimistic.

Posted
Why can't the band coming from the south west be snow? :(

850s to warm, dew points to high, temps to high, and all are set to get even warmer :clap:

Still according to metcheck in about 12days time we'l get another 15cm :D:(:(:(

must be a dead cert then ;)

Its a shame though that it wont be snow as the band moving in has some extremely high precip rates, maybe the highest areas in wales could end up with a battering for a while.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
I live in Norton Lees area on Derbyshire lane. Just walked half way to Graves park about 3 to 4 inches there max so I think 6 to 7 unless you in a place close to Holmesfield is a little optimistic.

My mum and dad drove from my house in killamarsh to Dronfield and was nearly stranded at the top of marsh lane that was an hour and half ago and the snow is still really heavy so i think unless the gritters have been out i think the road would be impassable by now.

Posted

I did add a new word to the urban weather dictionary today. I have long been of the opinion that there's about four things that the male of the species never knowingly underestimates:

1 - how much they earn

2 - how good a driver they are

3 - how much snow they have

4 - ...

On that basis can I just make absolutely clear that I really do earn £150k, I'm a fantastic driver despite the minor run in with the law last year (and the year before that), there's at least a foot of snow, and there's at least a foot somewhere else too!

Posted
Hi Brian,

Temp is 0.4 and dewpoint is -0.8. Its been snowing lightly here for the past 3 hours and we're lucky if we have half a centimetre!

Thanks for that Deelightuk.

I've got temps of 1.5 deg and Dew points of -1.5, it is noticeably colder where you are.

Brian :)

Hi Peter,

Looks like you could be in for quite a bit more than me tonight.

Here the snow is a bit too wet to settle apart from where snow already lies where as your extra altitude should mean proper snow for you.

Enjoy it up there!

Snowing light/mod here since around 1700z snow laid near enough straight away, advantages of being further inland. Wind picking up

Mark,

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
can some enlighten me as to why all the telephone wires out side my house are wobbling around like crazy :) .....now they are fully laden with snow but there's not a breath of wind ....its really doing my head in :)

The same thing happened here in Leeds back in the last big snow event of 1995. Not a breath of wind but all the phone lines came down.

Probably down to the weight of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
I did add a new word to the urban weather dictionary today. I have long been of the opinion that there's about four things that the male of the species never knowingly underestimates:

1 - how much they earn

2 - how good a driver they are

3 - how much snow they have

4 - ...

On that basis can I just make absolutely clear that I really do earn £150k, I'm a fantastic driver despite the minor run in with the law last year (and the year before that), there's at least a foot of snow, and there's at least a foot somewhere else too!

Are you single? :)

Posted
Why are these cold spells so short these days? a great day yesterday up to 4" of snow in the morning and showers on and off during the day. Tonight all gone just rain and the odd half a snowman is all we have to show for it

I wouldn't say this cold spell is short because it began on Monday.

Even the mighty 63 winter had many quiet sunny, very cold days. Winters like 47 where snow fell nearly every day really are the exception to the rule.

This cold spell has been different to many in our recent winters because we have had frontal snowfalls rather than showers and looking at some members pics it has been a very productive cold spell for some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

will this next band of Precipitation give me any snow before turning to rain?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
will this next band of Precipitation give me any snow before turning to rain?

No.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
I simply believe that we all have our tale to tell and it's very important that we find our voice in order to tell it. Life's brief enough - enjoy it while you can. When you've been dead for 100,000,000 million years, that's just a fraction of the time you'll be dead for!!!!!!

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings and sincere apologies, mods.

Mike.

What a great post :) (completely off topic of course), but tres amusent all the same. Just to cheer everyone up, still snowing quite nicely here - we may be playing catch-up with some other parts of the country, but as long as there's still enough left tomorrow morning for some sledging, that'll do me !