Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas

hollisk

Posted
6Z run look good for the scotland for a White Christmas at the mo :):)

I certainly hope so. Would be nice for even a sprinkling of snow on Xmas day. :D

Posted
The mean 500Hpa chart for 0z for Christmas Day hints at a NWly. The last two or three means have favoured this.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rz500m14.gif

Mr Data, What do you make of this from 'TWO'...............

Temperatures during the week ahead look set to gradually fall as high pressure builds to the north east of the UK allowing colder continental air to filter in across eastern and central parts of the UK in particular. By the end of the week it may well be turning noticeably colder with daytime temperatures pegged well below average and overnight frost developing quite widely. Those of you dreaming of a White Christmas can certainly keep hoping for a while longer because some of the medium range Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) models are suggesting that high latitude northerly blocking which is often regarded as the holy grail for those wanting cold weather in the UK could develop as we approach the festive season. Definitely something to keep an eye in during the days ahead, and at the moment our view is that a White Christmas is actually slightly more likely in southern and eastern areas than northern and western parts. Despite this the probabilities still favour a green Christmas in our view with the likelihood of milder weather returning before the big day.

I'd rather sacrifice snow on Christmas Day for the sake of a generally cold and snowy winter, but perhaps we can have our cake and eat it this year?! It's always lovely I think to have a cold run up to Christmas, and for at least a week that looks pretty bedded in. Wouldn't be surprised to see Christmas Day fall between two segments of cold, but let's see.

Posted

Hi peeps,

I hope you get snow for Christmas over there and I agree with it being so much nicer if its frosty and cold before the day. I remember going Christmas shopping in Sunderland (before the built a roof of the mall) and carrying all those bags of goodies and my fingers were freezing and my nose was red and I could see my breath. It was'nt that long ago. So heres hoping this works out for everyone.

TTFN

Debs

A white xmas would be truly wonderful but if, say, xmas itself turns milder, but is the precursor to a more significant and prolonged wintry spell than I would readily accept this for an exciting longer haul

The ultimate situation of couse would be a 62/63 scenario where the start of a long significant cold spell coincides with xmas

:D

Tamara

Hi Tamara,

My father used to go on about boxing day '62 and how the snow really set in. Must have been awesome. In the garage I've got some old cine film he took of my older brother and sisters playing in deep snow in Essex that Christmas (before my time!). Must have been fantastic, although I guess John Holmes would point out that it got so bad it was really tough.

Rx

Edited by La Nina

Posted
Hi Tamara,

My father used to go on about boxing day '62 and how the snow really set in. Must have been awesome. In the garage I've got some old cine film he took of my older brother and sisters playing in deep snow in Essex that Christmas (before my time!). Must have been fantastic, although I guess John Holmes would point out that it got so bad it was really tough.

Rx

it got very tough for some people, very tough indeed, no doubt TM and others can tell you, that is if he/they are old enough!

Posted
Mr Data, What do you make of this from 'TWO'...............

Temperatures during the week ahead look set to gradually fall as high pressure builds to the north east of the UK allowing colder continental air to filter in across eastern and central parts of the UK in particular. By the end of the week it may well be turning noticeably colder with daytime temperatures pegged well below average and overnight frost developing quite widely. Those of you dreaming of a White Christmas can certainly keep hoping for a while longer because some of the medium range Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) models are suggesting that high latitude northerly blocking which is often regarded as the holy grail for those wanting cold weather in the UK could develop as we approach the festive season. Definitely something to keep an eye in during the days ahead, and at the moment our view is that a White Christmas is actually slightly more likely in southern and eastern areas than northern and western parts. Despite this the probabilities still favour a green Christmas in our view with the likelihood of milder weather returning before the big day.

To be honest, yamkin, we'll have to wait and see. No hard evidence on the GFS charts yet of this.

Posted

looking at the globe shaker thing the only place with a decent chance of a white is scotland with a 50% chance every where else has a 25% lol

Posted

It was a white christmas for me 2 years ago, about 5 inches deep, really powdery snow that squeaked under you feet, the real stuff. It was gone after two days though.

Snowed for most of christmas eve and christmas day. Thats the only one i remember.

It would be nice to see some this year, we had no snow at all last year.

Posted

hehehe yes we have an even lower chance now =P last night on the min temp list it shows stornoway, scotland getting down -17c is this right or a malfunction???

Posted
hehehe yes we have an even lower chance now =P last night on the min temp list it shows stornoway, scotland getting down -17c is this right or a malfunction???

12z still showing the chance of snow flurries for the hills in my area during the early xmas period.

Posted
12z still showing the chance of snow flurries for the hills in my area during the early xmas period.

cool well good luck having and/or finding some of the nice white stuff PP

Check out this link below from Accuweather for Galway over Christmas

Could you belive it.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-1...AY&metric=1

Dont worry mate no site can predict 2 weeks into the future accuratly and say what xmas day will be like it could easilly change by the time the big day come

lightnin