Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas

hollisk

Posted
i just checked St Albans on it for christmas eve, it says very cold rain/sleet /snow with ice mixed in

it says that for my area too i hope they are right soooo fingers crossed!!!

Posted

Please answer my question people =) last night on the min temp list it shows stornoway, scotland getting down -17c is this right or a malfunction???

thanks

Posted

well looking at this to-night Scotland could see some

else were it a LONG SHOT

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsenseur.html

well looking at the ens gives about the best clue what could happen

Edited by tinybill

Posted
i looked at the precipitation chart and on christmas eve till boxing day it has snow/sleet for around here :lol: :rolleyes:

hehehe good look with that but i dont think any site can predict that far ahead to be honest

Posted

some good forcasters

www.bbc.co.uk/weather

www.metoffice.co.uk

www.accuweather.com

Enjoy =)

Posted

Possibly rather unsettled

The latest update suggests a decreased chance of a White Christmas for southern areas, and the same chance as was previously expected for northern parts. The latest guidance from computer models suggests that although some cold weather is likely during the next 10 days, it may well turn milder by Christmas day itself.

Forecast headline

Probabilities

Northern areas of the are considered to have a 20% chance of a white christmas.

Southern areas of the are considered to have a 20% chance of a white christmas.

Forecast issued

Update 1, 09/09/2007

Update 2, 10/10/2007

Update 3, 14/10/2007

Update 4, 11/11/2007

Update 5, 05/12/2007

Update 6, 09/12/2007

Update 7, 11/12/2007

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/...x?type=for_xmas

:lol: :( :lol:

Posted

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this has been posted before! I'm 52 years old and live in West Kent about 25 miles South of London. As far as I am aware, there have only been about 8 white Christmas's (some were only slight) in the South of England since 1900. I can actually only remember one, I think it was 1970? Christmas Day itself was cold and frosty with a light covering of snow grains. However, on Boxing Day a vigerous depression approached from the South West and tracked up through the English Channel before sinking South over the Continent. We experienced blizzard conditions for most of the day, drifts several feet deep in places. With global warming and climate change, surely its becoming less likely that we will ever see another white Christmas in the South of England? I began losing hope along time ago! Your thoughts/comments would be welcome.

Posted
I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this has been posted before! I'm 52 years old and live in West Kent about 25 miles South of London. As far as I am aware, there have only been about 8 white Christmas's (some were only slight) in the South of England since 1900. I can actually only remember one, I think it was 1970? Christmas Day itself was cold and frosty with a light covering of snow grains. However, on Boxing Day a vigerous depression approached from the South West and tracked up through the English Channel before sinking South over the Continent. We experienced blizzard conditions for most of the day, drifts several feet deep in places. With global warming and climate change, surely its becoming less likely that we will ever see another white Christmas in the South of England? I began losing hope along time ago! Your thoughts/comments would be welcome.

I'm about your age SB and also lived in Kent (Edenbridge) when I was younger - a lot younger.

I can remember in Primary school that the teacher used to ask us to make Xmas cards on the run up to the end of term and this seemed (rose snow coloured specs :) ) to coincide with the first snow fall of winter. I know that this isn't a white Xmas but for my memory it seemed that we had more snow in December than recently.

Posted
I'm about your age SB and also lived in Kent (Edenbridge) when I was younger - a lot younger.

I can remember in Primary school that the teacher used to ask us to make Xmas cards on the run up to the end of term and this seemed (rose snow coloured specs :huh: ) to coincide with the first snow fall of winter. I know that this isn't a white Xmas but for my memory it seemed that we had more snow in December than recently.

I was living in Westerham at the time, I certainly remember the winter of 1963, it was great, if you like severe wintry weather. I remember my dad taking me for a walk during one of the blizzards, we walked up the middle of the main road, snow up to my waist, I was only 8 year old! After one really cold night I could actually walk on top of the massive drifts without sinking through, the ice crust was that strong. I think everybody thinks there were more cold winters in the 60's 70's & 80's, but if you were to actually check the archives, there were very few winters during that period that you could describe as severe. We live in hope!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

Good evening all, Xmas is just around the corner, and i know the forecasters etc have there views, and i just wanted to know/share all of our views.

Below is my little Xmas forecast; Would love to know what yours is. post your ideas/forecasts

* Taking bets now, Odds will be announced later *

As we head into the xmas period strong signals still for us as we could well wake a postcard picturesque scene on the big day. Whilst the CFS has for the first time back tracked from the extreme cold shown in the last few weeks, the general prognosis is still positive. With negative SST anomalies to our NW, and cold anti-cyclonic......conditions never too far away into the near continent, we look to the East in search of xmas cold, and it could well be that come the 25th we see falling snow in a number of areas, particularly across Northern and Eastern districts, with what i suspect will be a fairly chilly NE'ly airstream across the UK.

Northern england, Midlands, and South east should do ok, The southwest is always a concern due to such setups in the past, 5 miles down the road away from the coast makes a big difference:)

post-2881-1197579932_thumb.png

The above chart looks good, For snow to fall, we all know you need at least -5 at 850 hpa, we have that (Although there are other aspects we need in these scenarios, which we will look at in a more reliable time frame), The below charts show the dew points and temps etc (Along with snow risk) The colder air pushes south over the new few charts, bringing dew points down to 0 or below in most parts of the UK; Max temps even around coasts in yorkshire scotland etc. are 4-5oc so further inland your looking at 2-3, But obviously with the wind direction NW, eastern coastal counties and further inland will see lower temps, because of the source of the air, if it was a E/NE, the north sea's warm SST'S would have an affect, so upto now this scenario looks fantastic. Although i still think if it pulls off, It will turn into a direct northerly/ North easterly air flow;

Temps look ok, especially for scotland.

post-2881-1197579953_thumb.png

And the snow risk looks fab!!

post-2881-1197579850_thumb.png

Oh and also just a little teaser and a reminder and to possibly get you in the snow mood, In hull a few years back when we had that huge heavy band of rain push east accross us, we had upto a foot and a half of drifts here in hull and the east riding of yorkshire, My friends kids were playing in it when the pictures were taken; You may know my friend on net-weather (Ash - Gobbyash)

The 1st one;

post-2881-1197579986_thumb.jpg

The second;

post-2881-1197580017_thumb.jpg

The third;

post-2881-1197580042_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Lewis

Edited by Snowy Yorkshire

Posted

This is going to be a rather obvious statement but anyway I'll make it; until we get to within the reliable timeframe i.e. 120 hours i.e. 20th Dec which is next thursday no-one can confidently say what the weather on christmas day is most likely to bring.

It nice to see people's predictions etc but any predictions at present should be treat as pure speculation still.

I won't be making any predictions but my personal hope will always be a white one if not with snow then at least with frost. One thing I will say is at least the period between 11th-18th will have been seasonal so if my hope is dashed I perhaps won't be feeling quite as disheartened had we endured a almost relentless run of atlantic mild south westerlies and rain, in such circumstances I certainly would be...

The local TV forecast just mentioned that milder air would push in for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, with some snow for a time. I think this is an outside shot with this battleground happening a day or so earlier than this, but it's certain yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

:) There is a good chance for people living in the hills up North, good luck :)

Funny smiles :p