Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted
I think I can smell a mild ramp on the model discussion thread this morning, although it could be a justified ramp. Nice to see this early in November.

JJB

JJB, I can't help noting your November CET punt, and now the above comment. Have you been communing with a certain West-is-colderthanitusedtobe?

Posted
"S*d All The Science It's Going to Snow" I vaguely recall.

A question I've been meaning to ask, and which keeps me awake at night nearly as much as little WIB, is what happens to SATGITS when the science points to cold? Do you hibernate or emigrate to warmer climes? Or is it just unthinkable?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
A question I've been meaning to ask, and which keeps me awake at night nearly as much as little WIB, is what happens to SATGITS when the science points to cold? Do you hibernate or emigrate to warmer climes? Or is it just unthinkable?

In theory the crew would build an igloo and use the cold to create warmth, then they would adhering to the SATSIGS way

Posted
JJB, I can't help noting your November CET punt, and now the above comment. Have you been communing with a certain West-is-colderthanitusedtobe?

I have been conversing with a wise Chinese lady who runs the egg shop down the road (anyone who can make a living selling just eggs must be wise). She gives me weekly updates on the weather, she says next week will be cold.

I've been disapointed by the Daily Mail and Cheggers so far this year. No murmerings of "thousands to die in coldest witnter in 500 years" yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Nice to see SATSIGS back again, as sure a sign of the approaching winter as Argos Christmas Ads, all-butter shortbread and double-digit winter month CETs. One question - has anyone tested the Ramp-klaxxon yet this autumn?

Posted
Nice to see SATSIGS back again, as sure a sign of the approaching winter as Argos Christmas Ads, all-butter shortbread and double-digit winter month CETs. One question - has anyone tested the Ramp-klaxxon yet this autumn?

It cannot be used due to the discovery of several species of Arctic bird found nesting in it.

Posted

SATSIGS is happy with cold, it's an anti-ramping service, not an anti-cold service. Hence ramp alerts don't apply to legitimate calls for cold (even if they stretch a tad in a situation that is not much more than vague potential).

I see you're dyslexic as well as inumerate.

It cannot be used due to the discovery of several species of Arctic bird found nesting in it.

Bewick swans I do believe.

And there was a huge drop of apples and early leaves on the ground sensing equipment.

Nothing, though, nothing can get in the way of the legendary wet-rod.

I have been conversing with a wise Chinese lady who runs the egg shop down the road (anyone who can make a living selling just eggs must be wise). She gives me weekly updates on the weather, she says next week will be cold.

I've been disapointed by the Daily Mail and Cheggers so far this year. No murmerings of "thousands to die in coldest witnter in 500 years" yet.

What about FEN FM. We should supply WiB with details so he can listen on-line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I sense that you are being facetious but if not, I think that he probably spelled it that way on purpose.

And while I'm posting, I respect the opinions of both of you and you are clearly both very intelligent, verbose, and enlightened individuals. I just wish that you would stop taking up valuable bandwidth indulging in childish sniping. Please, once and for all, can you just arrange to meet up to have a fight and be done with it :D ?

Posted

Yes I can't think how SATGITS got through the spell-checker without correction. But then, I'm obviously using a poor version of the OED as inumerate doesn't appear in it either.

Mind you, coming from someone who thought any given 12 month period makes the possibility of a below 10C 12 times more likely (I'm still laughing) is perhaps not best placed to comment on such things.

Posted
I sense that you are being facetious but if not, I think that he probably spelled it that way on purpose.

And while I'm posting, I respect the opinions of both of you and you are clearly both very intelligent, verbose, and enlightened individuals. I just wish that you would stop taking up valuable bandwidth indulging in childish sniping. Please, once and for all, can you just arrange to meet up to have a fight and be done with it :D ?

:lol: :D

Posted
Please, once and for all, can you just arrange to meet up to have a fight and be done with it :D ?

Do you know that I haven't hit anyone since I was 10, but I really feel like giving him a slap!

Yes, let's stop it. Very silly, very childish. Apologies everyone.

Posted

From Hastings today the very first spurious (albeit rather self-conscious) comparison to the iconic winter of 1962/3. Inevitably, given the contagious nature of this sub-category of ramp, signs of a minor rampede were apparent within minutes. Vigilance required!

I think that I am right in saying that this is, by some way, the earliest example of this type of ramp. Normally it would be expected in early December if an air frost and fog is recorded in the Vale of York and FI at T384, on an optimistic reading, indicates the possibility of snow over the higher parts of the Scottish Highlands.

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
From Hastings today the very first spurious (albeit rather self-conscious) comparison to the iconic winter of 1962/3. Inevitably, given the contagious nature of this sub-category of ramp, signs of a minor rampede were apparent within minutes. Vigilance required!

I think that I am right in saying that this is, by some way, the earliest example of this type of ramp. Normally it would be expected in early December if an air frost and fog is recorded in the Vale of York and FI at T384, on an optimistic reading, indicates the possibility of snow over the higher parts of the Scottish Highlands.

regards

ACB

This is nothing compared to Autumn 2005, it was so bad tt a winter sub-forum had to be created in August!!!!!!

Posted
What about FEN FM. We should supply WiB with details so he can listen on-line.

Fen FM also known as Fen Radio: The Sound of Wisbech is on 107.05 FM, not sure if it's available over t'net. Had a fog warning this morning, nothing else of note so far but rest assured your SATSIGS correspondent for the Fens is ever alert.

I see SKY news are saying it will be a mild winter with plenty of frost and snow. Not sure if this is a ramp or the dreaded downgrade.

Posted
I see SKY news are saying it will be a mild winter with plenty of frost and snow. Not sure if this is a ramp or the dreaded downgrade.

Interested in having a read of this do you have a link?

Posted

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1291458,00.html

"This winter is expected to be mild, but cooler and drier then the 2006/07 winter which saw exceptionally mild temperatures and above average rainfall totals.

Long-range forecasting company Meteocare said there would be some cold snaps, particularly in the North and East of the country, bringing the threat of ice and snow to all areas."

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
I think I can smell a mild ramp on the model discussion thread this morning, although it could be a justified ramp.

Does that mean a ramp for mild weather or a slight ramp for cold weather?

what happens to SATGITS when the science points to cold? Do you hibernate or emigrate to warmer climes? Or is it just unthinkable?

If, rather than when. Let you know when it happens.

Science dictates that it's bound to be birds that would normally be nesting in more southerly climes.

Posted

I post for your edification the paper "Investigations into the Reliability of the Downgrade" from the Journal of the GFS Critical Society based in Baden-Progen Germany.

Investigations into the Reliability of the Downgrade

by Gunther van Pedant, Annabelle Nichthabenschnee, and Erich Holfabee

Often, the GFS model depicts situations where winds might blow from a northerly to easterly direction, and snow might fall, in the British Isles. As early as 1997, this was known to be a fallacy induced by a condition identified as historical-analogue-wishful-thinking or HAWT. On occasion there would also be a case of Historical Overestimation of Retrogressive Nature, or HORN. When these two conditions were combined, one had HAWTHORN, and it was prickly to say the least.

You are reading this with a mild German accent, I trust.

By the year 2005, such developments intensified to become known as the BBC Forum. At this stage, virtual ice ages were predicted at a time span of no greater than 72 hours. In one notable case, persons speculated that snow might even fall in London, a city of eighteen billion people, and home to a number of world-famous institutions including the Society for the Beatification of Global Warming. A more detailed study of these phenomena follows.

(Key excerpts)

... Drawing on the research of Dr. Pitman, assisted by the SATSIGS team, we have concluded the following ...

The 144 to 192 hour downgrades will occur with 100% certainty, usually within 24 hours.

The 120 hour downgrade is a matter of course. There was a failure of the 120 hour downgrade on one occasion in November 2005 and snowflakes were observed at relatively low elevations like just above the top of the highest inhabited part of Wales.

The 96 hour downgrade has become part of a religious ceremony known as "getting ready for the downgrade." Believers parade in the high street with icons of the Blessed Virgin Downgrade, who was said to be the mother of all downgrades to follow.

The 72 hour downgrade has become the default climatic position since 2001. This near-reliable-time-frame downgrade is cited as a major cause of social unrest and violence in British families.

The 48 hour downgrade has not yet become accepted in the literature. More study will be required to establish that the 48 hour downgrade is a separate phenomenon from vision problems or mass hallucination. Of course the 18z run has been excluded from this preliminary study.

The 24 hour downgrade is said to be a possibility within a decade as ever-more unsophisticated versions of the GFS are developed and brought into operation. There may one day be a 6 hour downgrade, if dedicated scientists have their way.

The authors would like to thank the GFS for bringing so many pretty blue and green colours to Fantasy Island. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Oh Roger, that's two laughs you've got out of me in five minutes, your posts always make me smile, thank you!

Posted

Well I for one, am not taking any chances this year. The builders have just finished work in my back garden on a construction scheme that rivals my nuclear fall out shelter of the early 1980's:

667.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

:lol: Roger that was hilarious :lol: :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
There may one day be a 6 hour downgrade, if dedicated scientists have their way.

It has already happened. 6pm December 25th 2005 - the case of the missing trough.