Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Your Predictions : Highest UK temperature during this Winter

Potent Gust

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Anyway, somebody should go rescue that thread and put it back in active circulation, just in case March gets cold or something.

That's a good call Roger...are you inkling towards something ;)

BFTP

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
This says a lot about the winter that wasn't, but the other thread about "lowest temperature this winter" is now locked in the archive section and the last post there was on 27 December. ;)

I think the lowest temperature so far was -13 C or thereabouts.

Anyway, somebody should go rescue that thread and put it back in active circulation, just in case March gets cold or something.

That would be a new thread-" the lowest temperature of spring" - wouldn't it ?

Does anyone know how often spring has delivered a colder temp than winter?

Apologies for wildly off topic.

c

Posted

Well the coldest temperature of a winter season is generally regarded as anything that happens November to April, so unlike this thread about warmest Dec to Feb which had a specific time limit, I think that other thread assumed the winter season had no cut-off date on 29 Feb, and in fact sometimes the coldest temperature of a winter does happen in March, at least over here it does. Not very often, but I've seen the lowest temp as late as 31 March on one occasion.

Main thing is, that thread should not be in the archives yet, it's just interesting that it got no hits all through January and early February which is when most winters have their coldest days. This recent cold spell didn't get past -10 C anywhere, did it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Well the coldest temperature of a winter season is generally regarded as anything that happens November to April, so unlike this thread about warmest Dec to Feb which had a specific time limit, I think that other thread assumed the winter season had no cut-off date on 29 Feb, and in fact sometimes the coldest temperature of a winter does happen in March, at least over here it does. Not very often, but I've seen the lowest temp as late as 31 March on one occasion.

Main thing is, that thread should not be in the archives yet, it's just interesting that it got no hits all through January and early February which is when most winters have their coldest days. This recent cold spell didn't get past -10 C anywhere, did it?

With regards to the above you only have to look back to 2006 to find March having the coldest day in the UK. It also happened in 2001 and I think that was the last time that anywhere in the UK got below -20C. Source Trevor Harley's site of coldest and warmest UK days since 1900. Since 2000 the following years also had December with their coldest day.

2000, 2004, 2005 and 2007. Only two years since 2000 had their coldest days in Jan/Feb [None in Feb]. This I would think must be unusual.

As for this year the highest temp to date will surely now remain if the cut off date is Feb 29th given the current outlook.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!
So is it safe to say that the highest temperature of the winter is the 18.2C at Trawscoed? Not that I expected it to get much higher than that!

So is this the official final figure then. We are obviously not going to get higher than that tomorrow?

Posted
This says a lot about the winter that wasn't, but the other thread about "lowest temperature this winter" is now locked in the archive section and the last post there was on 27 December. :D

I think the lowest temperature so far was -13 C or thereabouts.

Unfortunately the reason I think the thread was locked was primarily due to the fact that the weather since the cold december spell was so mild that there was no reason for it to be resurrected.

I started the thread and hoped probably naively that it would be a regular thread feature through the winter - how wrong was I

Just checking the guesses, so far Persian Paladin has got the figure spot on at -13 degrees, only 3 people thought it would be higher than this.

March and to a much lesser degree April is capable of delivering colder mins than this, but you start to need a combination of deep snow cover and deep cold polar air to get such mins. Perfect scenario is for a potent arctic blast delivering heavy snow cover then clearing skies at nightfall under arctic high - such conditions can give very low minima even in April. Whilst the outlook shows a bit of promise it is very very unlikely to deliver anything lower than -10 degrees even in the highlands under deep snow cover, the cold air will not be cold enough.