Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Predictions : Highest UK temperature during this Winter

Potent Gust

Posted
Thats pretty high and perhaps unusral even in the so called christmas pudding winter. I would go for 10.0.

I reckon there'll be overnight minima higher than 10c :)

Hoping for cool Feb as per recent years, so I'll guess maxima about 16.5c (probably during December)

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

I'll go for 15.3 to be reached in December. Also I think the end of Feb will produce some warm temps in readiness for an early spring.

Posted

Highest minimum (Alderney, Guernsey, LWC, Heathrow, Greenwich, Penzance, St. Mawgan, Falmouth): 13

Highest maximum (Kinloss, Leuchars, Nairn; Aboyne, Altnaharra; Rhyl, Aber, Colwyn Bay; Ross-on-Wye, Worcester, Hereford; Exeter, Minehead, Barnstable; LWC, Greenwich): 17

regards

ACB

Posted

I'll go for 15.6 degrees, first number to pop into my head, hopefully we won't see such a temperature until the end of feb and hopefully it will be on a day that is very much a mild blip, but as others have said it only takes the fohn effect to have an effect and temperatures can rocket even in the depths of January

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Hi guys I will write up a definitive list of everyones predictions on the weekend and see who comes closest. Thanks for your response!

Edited by Potent Gust

Posted

I'll go for 17.7 at the end of February.

The lad who went for 10.0, that would be a tad optimistic I think. Has there ever been a winter where it hasn't reached 10ºC between December 1st and February 28/29th? I'd be very surprised if there has.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
15.3 Fohn effect Colwyn Bay 19th Feb 2.37pm

I reckon my guess will be beaten before the 5th day of winter looking at the latest runs!!

Posted
I'll go for 17.7 at the end of February.

The lad who went for 10.0, that would be a tad optimistic I think. Has there ever been a winter where it hasn't reached 10ºC between December 1st and February 28/29th? I'd be very surprised if there has.

Well 2005/06 winter my highest max was just 10c.

last year it was 11.1c both happened feb.

18c somewhere I`ll say.

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
What is the highest we have had so far?

Max so far this winter is Longtown (Herefordshire) with a temperature of 16.5 °C on 6th dec.

I don't think this was beaten in January.

c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Max at Harwarden was officially 15.7c :)

Yep reached 15.1 here today thanks to an early evening fohn effect.

Posted

It looks like most of the guesses are now out, as Trawsgoed reached 18.2C.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...st_weather.html

Absolutely remarkable for mid-February. Im sure with no wind and constant sunshine it felt like summer there.

Posted
Im sure with no wind and constant sunshine it felt like summer there.

I've often thought that, however, when you get to real summer you realise just how different it is. Main things would be the weakness of the sun in February, how low it is in the sky (less than 25 degrees at the moment!) and how short-lived these remarkably high temperatures are (eg a summer day of 18C max would probably be mild for much longer than a winter day of the same temperature, where it may only hold on relatively briefly- such as in this foehn wind).

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Only time will tell, somebody tried to sneak in a 20 C at Donna Nook yesterday but on another thread Reef says that's a spurious reading. So we'll see if this last warm spell can get above 18, I guess. By the way "I guess" was the answer to your question.

Posted
Only time will tell, somebody tried to sneak in a 20 C at Donna Nook yesterday but on another thread Reef says that's a spurious reading. So we'll see if this last warm spell can get above 18, I guess. By the way "I guess" was the answer to your question.

Yep, as 20c has never been recorded in the UK in winter I'd say spurious is an understatement. 14.6 was yesterdays official max - warm enough but hardly earthshattering in the historical context.

Can't see this spell exceeding 18c - wind direction is all wrong for Fohn readings in places likely to exceed 18c I think, 12-14 for most, 15 in some 'lucky' spots

Posted

This says a lot about the winter that wasn't, but the other thread about "lowest temperature this winter" is now locked in the archive section and the last post there was on 27 December. ;)

I think the lowest temperature so far was -13 C or thereabouts.

Anyway, somebody should go rescue that thread and put it back in active circulation, just in case March gets cold or something.