IGNORED

Easter Weekend Chill/Freeze

mcyates

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
How is West Malling (Kent) looking?....from puruising the charts tomorrow looks the wrong side of marginal - because of the warm sector - but from evening onwards looks quite interesting for at least some snow, and possibly a covering? Any ideas which areas are likely to do best? - EA/NE/Midlands?

hopefully looking good because then i might get something :wacko:

Posted

Very interesting forecasts from both John and also Roger. On a personal point of veiw Ne/NNE airflows do tend to give snowfalls to my area, though they aren't nearly as frequant as near the Wash for example which tends to create a streamer in these set-ups.

Posted

Heres some eye candy just a little way off but how sunday morning could turn out just on the right side of marginal here.

I like the look of this. :wacko:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Very interesting forecasts from both John and also Roger. On a personal point of veiw Ne/NNE airflows do tend to give snowfalls to my area, though they aren't nearly as frequant as near the Wash for example which tends to create a streamer in these set-ups.

And north kent , north east kent :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Heres some eye candy just a little way off but how sunday morning could turn out just on the right side of marginal here.

I like the look of this. :wacko:

Ha! On the snow depth chart, the finger of nothingness is slap bang right over me! :) Thank goodness they are only experimental.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I think the most noticeable thing about this Easter break for us will be the wind before it dies away. Wouldn't be surprised to see Snow on the moors but not expecting anything lying here at all. Hopefully the strong winds will get the east coast sea going so I can take some pics.

Posted

Yeah I suppose Ne kent could get some sort of streamer though given the winds are more NNE the showers may not have quite the same force as they do further north in the wash area if a streamer does get going in that area. Still yes certainly north Kent could get some streamer set-up occur, indeed I'd be surprised if there wasn't during the afternoon hours as the upper flow veers towards the east as the low pressure declines to the east...the flow will straighten out again overnight ahead of the disturbance coming down from the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how it's looking for snow in the Cotswolds region and Cheltenham this weekend? Cleeve Hill (1083ft) near us usually gets settling snow even if we don't have any down here so if there is any on the hills I will certainly be up there with my camera :wacko:

Thanks,

James.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Already turned wintry up here with a heavy graupel shower 10 mins ago. Temp is 3.2C & dewpoint is 0.9C and falling.

:wacko:

Posted

Not too cold here yet, but getting cooler! Heavy hail showers this afternoon and a blustery wind. I guess I may get to see a bit of snow, I must admit we have hardly had any this winter.

Posted

Brilliant outside tonight really windy and blustery showers so i'm looking forward to some possible snow this weekend, i'm quite liking these late winter blasts!

Posted
Hi,

Could anyone tell me how it's looking for snow in the Cotswolds region and Cheltenham this weekend? Cleeve Hill (1083ft) near us usually gets settling snow even if we don't have any down here so if there is any on the hills I will certainly be up there with my camera :)

Thanks,

James.

Hi James, not looking too great for the south-western quarter this time I am afraid. I reckon you could get some on Saturday and Sunday early morning, so if you get up Cleeve Hill after any decent heavy shower you may get a nice covering. Seems like a mainly eastern England/east Midlands event but not exclusively. Only an amateur so not the best source of info, but happy to try and help :D

Ps. The forecaster on Midlands Today described it as "not so nice weather" this weekend, I would disagree totally!

PsPs (if there is such an abbreviation :wacko: ) Shefali Oza strikes again, she must love mild weather, described 2cm at lower levels as "alot of snow". Shows the times we are in really :D

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
Hi,

Could anyone tell me how it's looking for snow in the Cotswolds region and Cheltenham this weekend? Cleeve Hill (1083ft) near us usually gets settling snow even if we don't have any down here so if there is any on the hills I will certainly be up there with my camera :wacko:

Thanks,

James.

Hi, well as I dont live a million miles from you I know the area very well and Im glad to say there is a resonable chance of some of that "white stuff" on top of the Cotswolds and Malverns in the next few days. I must say Saturday at the moment looks good as thoughs winds will be coming from a northeast direction so blowing the wintry showers well inland from the North sea. Sunday, looks promising as well with perhaps a more organized area of Sleet and Snow but there is still a question mark over that at the mo. Im going up the Malverns on Saturday so heres hopein!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow
Hi James, not looking too great for the south-western quarter this time I am afraid. I reckon you could get some on Saturday and Sunday early morning, so if you get up Cleeve Hill after any decent heavy shower you may get a nice covering. Seems like a mainly eastern England/east Midlands event but not exclusively. Only an amateur so not the best source of info, but happy to try and help :)

Ps. The forecaster on Midlands Today described it as "not so nice weather" this weekend, I would disagree totally!

Thanks for your help :) It hasn't been a good winter at all round here for snow - the most we had was about 2 inches on the hills a few months ago, whilst down in Cheltenham there was a slight covering that lasted about an hour! But it would be nice to see some more :D PS. 2cm would be a lot as it would be the most we have seen down at lower levels for several years now!

ANYWEATHER - Thanks for your advice as well :) - I didn't see your post till after I had replied to Nick's. I won't get my hopes up too much but if we do get some round here it would certainly be very welcome!

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Awsome our local south east today forecast going for a covering of snow in some areas from late friday into saturday and maybe sunday!!

Wooo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
Thanks for your help :) It hasn't been a good winter at all round here for snow - the most we had was about 2 inches on the hills a few months ago, whilst down in Cheltenham there was a slight covering that lasted about an hour! But it would be nice to see some more :)

ANYWEATHER - Thanks for your advice as well :) - I didn't see your post till after I had replied to Nick's. I won't get my hopes up too much but if we do get some round here it would certainly be very welcome!

Yes, even up here in the Highlands we really miss "the old winters". There was once a time when 6 inches of snow would have been a casual affair. Still, stastically "a proper winter" has to happen again atleast once, right? :D

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I have a feeling that during Sunday morning may be the best chance of any laying snow in the East. Snow showers during Saturday evening and though the night will hopefully give a covering, with overnight low below freezing. On Sunday morning, any persistant snow should lay well on anything that has fallen overnight, and the temperatures should reamain low whilst it continues to snow and be overcast. Probably anything we do see will be melting fast by late morning.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
Yes, even up here in the Highlands we really miss "the old winters". There was once a time when 6 inches of snow would have been a casual affair. Still, stastically "a proper winter" has to happen again atleast once, right? :D

Indeed :) And tbh if global warming / climate change is real Then the UK will see a cooler trend.

If that gulf stream slows ( or even stops ) its gonna be VERY cold around here.. And from what i understand the more ice that melts up north creating fresh water in the ocean will cause this..

Anywho..

Lets hope for some snow now and a nice warm summer :)

Posted
Thanks for your help :) It hasn't been a good winter at all round here for snow - the most we had was about 2 inches on the hills a few months ago, whilst down in Cheltenham there was a slight covering that lasted about an hour! But it would be nice to see some more :) PS. 2cm would be a lot as it would be the most we have seen down at lower levels for several years now!

"Not a good winter" is an understatement, it has been a bloody awful one! The most we have had is a light hail/snow dusting at the start of Feb. Unfortunately there is no real high ground near me, the highest is scraping 200m, Cannock Chase has some at around 250m but as it is the middle of a forest I really don't want to be trekking through it just to see some snow, not that desperate...yet! I am confident of getting at least something. 2cm would be the best this winter, the most snow I have ever seen here in my life was Feb 8th 2007 when we got around 10cm. I have seen 3 feet up the Peak District, thats the most I have ever seen anywhere. But I believe it will be a case of being glued to the radar for the next 3 days, things could get interesting, as well as extremely frustrating. But a cold spell wouldn't be a cold spell without the annoyance though would it! All I want is to wake up to a cm or 2 in the morning and I shall be very happy, it can melt all it wants then. After this weekend I shall turn mild ramper as I want summer to roll in now.

Statistically speaking yes, realistically speaking probably not :)

Edited by nick2702

Posted

I'll be travelling from Newcastle to Windermere tomorrow early afternoon and am expecting to see at least one snow shower at some point on my journey, though i'll be heading in the wrong direction in terms of seeing sustained snow showers, these look like occuring later tomorrow for north east parts of England.

Suspect inland parts of the north east and north yorkshire could well have a slight covering of snow by tomorrow dusk, with further coverings overnight as showers continue. Scotland particularly north east parts will also have seen quite potent snow showers during tomorrow, so these parts may well have a slight covering come this time tomorrow.

Into Saturday, looks like south east scotland, north east england, north and east yorkshire, lincolnshire and later east anglia will see the heaviest of any snow showers or longer spells of snow, with temproary coverings during the day but sustained cover on high ground - deepest falls possibly somewhere like north york morrs of western dales of county durham.

On a personal level, i think my best chance for seeing snow cover in Windermere will be overnight saturday and during sunday. We have a bit of height and are quite exposed to northerlies off the eastern fells, i.e. not so sheltered as some parts of inner lake district. Hoping to see some lovely winter scenes with glistening snowy tops..

Posted

latest observations from upwind of the Shetland Isels where its already cold enough for wintry ppn.

all at 1800z

the Faeroes

0.4/-1.2 in slight snow and visibility=2900 metres, wind nw 20 knots

Jan Meyen

-0.4/-2.5 nil weather wind 36009 knots

Svalbard

-17.9/-21.2 nil weather wind 13006kt

01007 11589 11306 11179 21256 30204 40214 55000 60002 70200 81800

333 11160 91115

12470 53609 11004 21025 30141 40153 51039 69902 81248

333 10016 91115=

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

A good, balanced BBC report from Nick Miller for us in the South East here

Mind you, Kaddy was better presenting it tonight!!

base_10.jpg