Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Easter Weekend Chill/Freeze

mcyates

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
I guess he is 'guest appearing' when needed for some extra pocket money!

Callie :)

:D He has an account on here now so maybe we could ask him. Anyway, the 18z is trickling out now, eyes down...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Please anyone help out :D

Give the precipitation type charts in the datacentre a go, I find them quite useful being an amateur.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snow;sess=

The snow forecasting data charts are there. They will be updating at the moment for the GFS 18z so only the first few will be available. But I think they give a good rough idea, however they are only based on 1 model run so don't take it as fact.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Another view of friday which it will turn back to rain even here as -3c upper air isn`t great during the middle part of the day sleet/hail maybe,then the cold air digs in later. :D

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_18_UTC/36_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_18_UTC/48_30.gif

Posted

Trough moving south through the early hours of Friday looks to be a touch too warm for snow down to low levels , very marginal and could spring a surprise although precipitation rates stilll look low.

Trough/ weather system moving south acros scotland and England Friday Afternoon could if it develops bring snow. Again GFS is forecasting very low precipitation rates.

Early hours of Saturday the trough coming in from the east now looks very weak and has some warmer air mixed in with it. It is starting to look less like snow for coastal areas of the south east. Trough system that was moving south late friday should affect south western areas in the early hours of the morning.

Best chance for the south east to get snow is probably Saturday afternoon and this is perhaps an area likely to see more than the isolated flurry.sharpening trough moving south should give some isolated heavier snow showers.

Late Saturday and into Sunday we again have a chance at snow but warmer air is starting to filter in from the west.

As ever these features are hard to predict even 24 hours ahead, and timing positioning and strength will be critical.In addition to these features there is likely to be a steady flow of light snow showers coming in from the north sea late friday and on saturday. Some places may miss out on snow and most places won't see more than a smattering of snow, so don't expect heavy snowfall everywhere. A complex pattern of events looks likely with lots of things to talk about.Happy lamp post watching.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Friday:

Showers turning increasingly to snow at all levels, and leading to some accumulations locally. Sunny intervals between the showers. Feeling very cold in strong to gale force northeasterly winds.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

A cold Easter Weekend. Some sunshine, but further showers of sleet or snow. A more prolonged spell of snow is likely on Sunday.

Sweeeet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

hmmm I'm meant to be travelling through the peak district tomorrow inc via Snake Pass - am I gonna get stuck in snow drifts??

Posted

Lets hope you don't have to go by bike this weekend then Bottie!

blizzard1.jpg

Edited by Coast

Posted

Met Office have issued an early warnings of severe or extreme weather.

UK regions:

60% East of England

60% Yorkshire & Humber

60% London & South East England

60% East Midlands

60% North East England

Heavy Snow 0100 Sat 22 1200 Sat 22

There is a high risk of a severe event affecting eastern England and parts of the Midlands. Snow showers are expected to become frequent and heavy during the first half of Saturday with temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cms possible at low levels, and accumulations of 5 to 10 cms over high ground. Disruption to transport networks is possible for a time.

Issued at: 1003 Thu 20 Mar

Posted

Friday night now looking very marginal for quite a few areas, quite probably on the wrong side of marginal in the east now as the precip flows in from the east and the low pressure swibngs round. The whole set-up has shifted a little further west so whereever is on the boundary between the cold air remaining and the western part of the precip core is most likely to see snow Friday night.

On Saturday the showers seem like they are going to turn back to snow. the GFS focuses most of these showers in down the east coast down to the wash through to central England whilst the UKMO instead focuses the showery flow on the SE with a streamer also present in the NE.

Posted

Oh dear is any of us going to get any sleep this weekend. :) Still a chance for me tomorrow morning looking at 6z, and after midnight into saturday looks like it could be ok for snow in my area also. Were about 90 miles inland from the coast. I hope we don't get to much rain friday night before hand as the last thing we need is a wet ground if we are looking for settled snow.

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

BBC WEATHER *UPDATE*

Just watched the latest bbc news 24 forecast:

Showers turning wintry working through the country tonight... by 5am tomorrow morning sleet showers along the south!

Showers along the East tomorrow turning increasingly wintry.....

Heavy Snow warning now issued on TV for Saturday across East, East Midlands and SE England, with potential across the SE of 2-5cm Saturday Daytime

Weather forecaster : Nick Miller

Posted

ITs looking good for the North East (Middlesbrough) but how can the Metoffice issue a warning for 2 cm lol. That nothing. Hopefully I will see more than 2cm, if not i'll be driving up the hills :)

Posted
BBC WEATHER *UPDATE*

Just watched the latest bbc news 24 forecast:

Showers turning wintry working through the country tonight... by 5am tomorrow morning sleet showers along the south!

Showers along the East tomorrow turning increasingly wintry.....

Heavy Snow warning now issued on TV for Saturday across East, East Midlands and SE England, with potential across the SE of 2-5cm Saturday Daytime

Weather forecaster : Nick Miller

well be watching the half hour update then just before 11.30. I think the Landward forecast is today later as well in scotland, and will be available online later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The Net-wx snow precip type charts look good for EA. AS of tomorrow seeing some wintry stuff, turning back to rain and then shows bands of snow (showers) moving in from Friday night right through into tuesday, surely if this were correct it could look very likely for some decent snow. Fingers crossed, not quite as marginal as some people believe imo but lets wait and see! Bring this snowless (here atleast) winter to an end! A dusting will do me :)

Posted

Well at the very least Friday night now looking very marginal indeed to be honest at least further east simply because it seems to have shifted the warm sector the low pressure cell has slightly further west which also reduces the risk for areas that yesterday looked more likely to see snow from the set-up...still time for things to be adjusted or for the models to just be plain wrong.

Saturday looking nice and showery and with the colder air digging down I'd expect them to be more of snow than anything else but obviously with the sunshine inbetween the showers any snow that does manage to stick will very quickly melt.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Well the bbc are making a thing about tonight stressing that many of the showers will be wintry with a covering in places. If you can it might be worth watching the news 24 updates.

Posted
For once I am hoping it doesn't snow on Saturday, my son is getting married!!

Well its most peoples dream....a "white wedding"!! lol, im also going to one on Sunday, and hopefull of some snow in this part of the world..... keeping my fingers crossed, but could be interesting walking across the trans pennine routes in a tuxedo if we get stuck! Not as excited this time as the previous snow build ups, think ive got snow fatigue! never thought I'd say that :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Here in that west its going to be rather benign spell, but I'm not complaining in fact any sunshine should leift the temperature to about 6-7C over the weekend, which means in any sunshine it'll feel pleasant. That wind certainly will be chilly though!

Looks like the east is going to get most of the action though, which I sure will be enjoyed. It is a chance at least, for those who haven't seen snow yet to walke up to a lovely white covering!

I imagine for the west though if it continues with the dry theme, it's the lack precipitation that will the main focus!

Posted

hey what does people think of newcastles chances of a bit of the white stuff? it looks quite likely but im not counting my easter chicks, i'm hoping for some snow as long as it doesnt get the newcastle v fulham game called off!!

Posted
:):) East Sussex is now included in the Met Office advisory :)

Hoping to see a little snow!

Callie ;)

Morning Callie, if you see someone going down Lion Hill into Friday Street at 30 mph on an old wooden sledge, give me a wave then!

h010.gif

There is a high risk of a severe event affecting eastern England and parts of the Midlands. Snow showers are expected to become frequent and heavy during the first half of Saturday with temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cms possible at low levels, and accumulations of 5 to 10 cms over high ground. Disruption to transport networks is possible for a time.

This Early Warning will be updated by 1100 Friday 21 March.

For areas with less than 60% risk of disruption please see Advisories.

Issued by the MetO at: 1141 Thu 20 Mar