Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Easter Weekend Chill/Freeze

mcyates

Posted
Morning Callie, if you see someone going down Lion Hill into Friday Street at 30 mph on an old wooden sledge, give me a wave then!

h010.gif

Lol ;)

It should be a fun weekend at work!!

Callie :)

Posted
Issued by the MetO at: 1141 Thu 20 Mar - updated by wysiwyg at: 1202 Thu 20 Mar
There is a high risk of a severe event affecting eastern England and parts of the Midlands. Snow showers are expected to become frequent and heavy during the first half of Saturday with temporary accumulations of 2 to 5 cms possible at low levels, and accumulations of 5 to 10 cms over high ground. Disruption to transport networks is possible for a time.

This Early Warning will be updated by 1100 Friday 21 March.

For areas with less than 60% risk of disruption please see Rampers' and Whiners' corners

Posted
It should be a fun weekend at work!!

Well you might not have as many 'customers' in if its really cold and snowy eh?

Posted

Would I be right in saying no one is really expecting an accumalation of snow at low levels. I.e the best to be hoped for is overnight snow which will melt quickly during the day? With snow during the day not sticking or melting quickly?

Posted

Well thats what is most likely to occur MS however if we do get some sustained snowfall then even during the daytime I wouldn't totally rule out some snow sticking for a time during the day, though obviously as soon as the sun comes back out again the snow will melt very rapidly.

Posted
Well thats what is most likely to occur MS however if we do get some sustained snowfall then even during the daytime I wouldn't totally rule out some snow sticking for a time during the day, though obviously as soon as the sun comes back out again the snow will melt very rapidly.

I also think it is possible to get more than 2-5cm, often radio reports during events like this indicate much higher totals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Would I be right in saying no one is really expecting an accumalation of snow at low levels. I.e the best to be hoped for is overnight snow which will melt quickly during the day? With snow during the day not sticking or melting quickly?

I'd say in the case of showers then this is true, the snow will quickly melt as the sun some out the temperatures rise. At night snow will fall and settle if cold enough however anyone on the coast who does see snow will notice it wont settle.

Bands of snow however are another thing. If a band of snow arrives and the ground is cold enough settling may occur and stick around for a few hours or so.

Posted

At this stage its all about what the radar says, just use the GFS and BBC forecasts PPN charts as a guide.

It does look marginal on Friday morning but the timing could be on our side as its not occuring in the middle of the day. I'm keeping me fingers crossed i will see some snow tomorrow and Saturday.

Sunday looks uncertain still, i am not excited by what seems to be a band of more persistant PPN going down the East as i know this will change. I am not bothered about lying snow at this time fo the year but it will be nice to see some.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Well fax charts update still take a frontal system down the country on a northerly flow, real echoes IMO of 27th Jan snow shot (the front before the thundersnow came) which gave some decent snow.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2.gif

East looks better because there is still a little warm sector present with the disturbance and that will take a while to mix out I suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Well fax charts update still take a frontal system down the country on a northerly flow, real echoes IMO of 27th Jan snow shot (the front before the thundersnow came) which gave some decent snow.

East looks better because there is still a little warm sector present with the disturbance and that will take a while to mix out I suspect.

A warm sector heading in there (for western parts of the UK/wales at least), I wonder whether than would enlarge or fade out, that is of course assuming it occurs like that at all. Let's hope is stays like that and brings some snow)

Posted

If ever there was a chart showing the fine margins between rain/sleet & snow, that it is.

I wonder as we get closer to the time if it will become occluded.

Posted

Hey guys,

I hope all you in the East get some heavy snow over the weekend!!

Was only joking about the Amsterdam bit :)

Looks poor to me for Ireland but then when you live in Costa del Cork what can ya do ;)

Edited by January Snowstorm

Posted

Well the 06z GFS makes more of it as it actually develops a weak closed low instead and so the warm sector is larger on the 06z with only the east staying away from the slightly higher temps within the warm sector however there is still plenty of time for things to change and the fact that the 0z UKMO only shows a wave feature rather than a closed low does suggest uncertainty still.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Anyone got any updates for my area of south east england?

Clipboard02-1.jpg

Posted
Anyone got any updates for my area of south east england?

Clipboard02-1.jpg

Good afternoon - long time no speak, but have been following the threads at times.

Thought my user name could be quite appropriate for some this weekend! :good:

Currently it's looking like quite a number of us could see sleet and snow falling over the next few days, with the focus on Eastern and Cental area, north facing coasts and northern Scotland. However, I think snow cover will be hit and miss for many areas on Saturday, and hopes are for the potential for more organised bands of ppt on Saturday night and Sunday to be of snow.

Neil- fellow Kent resident! Not sure how we'll fare out of this, but I expect to see showers tomorrow turning wintry at times, and further scattered snow showers on Saturday - but also sunny spells. So snowcover will be local and temporary for most. Perhaps Sunday will produce the goods, but it's not clear cut that it will be cold enough for settling snow, nor whether we will get the brunt of the frontal system. Perhaps an isolated wintry shower on Monday too...

Did anyone catch the SE today forecast this lunchtime??

Posted

welcome WE, hope to see you more often than your Avatar suggests!

Posted

I'm hoping that being 3 metres above sea level is recognised as high ground for East Anglia. :good: And we get a good dumping of Snow or more likely NO. :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

This is the first time I can remember for ages, forecasts seem to be getting better in terms of snow and cold as we get closer to an event instead of backing off! If I see snow in Farnham I will be very nicely surprised. Like Winchester we are pretty well protected from all but long running streamers, full on fronts or the occasional Channel Low! Bring it on!

Posted

Does anyone have any ideas how Sheffield may do from this sort of set-up. I am worrying that we may just be a little too far inland,what does any one think?

Also, I am at about 670ft, would this give a chance of settling snow overnight if PPN were to penetrate this far inland, and because of this slight altitude, when would the PPn start to turin wintery tomorrow?

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
This is the first time I can remember for ages, forecasts seem to be getting better in terms of snow and cold as we get closer to an event instead of backing off!

This is a response borne out of what seems to years of frustration over a countless number of events...... Give it time!....Give it time!!!!!!

Edited by Timmytour

Posted

Hello Moogyboobies! you say you just missed out on snow just miles down the road, well like you not a flake here in the winter and for miles around (I think), here in Burnham we have our own microclimate, we miss out on alot of frosts and just inland mist and fog aplenty from Althorne westwards but as for snow well we've all missed out on that. Fingers crossed for a little sledging this weekend!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Beginning to change up here. Winds have become a lot colder, heavy hail and sleet...