Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Hadron collider

Posted

I would have thought that the fact that these "nano black holes" could be created under lab conditions would also mean they could be destroyed under lab conditions and at the end of the day, even if there was a "nano black hole" at the centre of our planet, it would have the gravitational force of a sub atomic particle, there for a tiny event horizon and therefore unable to have us for dinner wouldn’t it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
I would have thought that the fact that these "nano black holes" could be created under lab conditions would also mean they could be destroyed under lab conditions and at the end of the day, even if there was a "nano black hole" at the centre of our planet, it would have the gravitational force of a sub atomic particle, there for a tiny event horizon and therefore unable to have us for dinner wouldn’t it?

You're probably right, after all, I'm only going on my own research...If I had the definitive answer I'd have letters after my name, probably a nobel prize or two, and my own science show on the telly... :o

They're a lot of 'doom-merchants' out there scaring people silly, but lets face it, science is all about theories and best guesses, and throughout the history of human science, these theories and best guesses have tended to be correct....Anyhoos apparently we're all gonna get wiped out by 'Planet X' on 21-12-2012.. ;) :o

edit....for anyone interested in what the CERN experts have to say about the safety worries of the Hadron Collider, here's a snippet for you...

The laymans version

http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?co...mp;confId=35065

The technical version

http://lsag.web.cern.ch/lsag/LSAG-Report.pdf

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The Hadron collider explained ......Rapstyleee..!!!

Posted

If anyone is interested there's a programme on BBC Four(now) about the LHC, it was

on last week and today its getting a repeat. The LHC gets sealed up next week

for the impending experiment.

Posted

Well I'm really looking forward to it! Heard something on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 programme a little while ago that Wednesday's proceedings amount to little more than 'practise runs',and the main event won't be until the end of October ;) ?

Posted
Well I'm really looking forward to it! Heard something on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 programme a little while ago that Wednesday's proceedings amount to little more than 'practise runs',and the main event won't be until the end of October ;) ?

If you had watched the programme on BBC Four last week you'd know that there's to be NO practise

runs, the risk they said, financially as well as the time that would be needed to cool the magnets was

too great.

There is a thread already open about the LHC, perhaps a mod could move these within it?

Posted
If you had watched the programme on BBC Four last week you'd know that there's to be NO practise

runs, the risk they said, financially as well as the time that would be needed to cool the magnets was

too great.

The first experiments on the 10th will be at much lower energies (450GeV) than existing particle accelerators have already achieved. The interesting stuff (7Tev) is a few months after this.

ffO.

Posted

Hi FFO, so what do they hope to achieve colliding particles at lower impact? Just curious as i thought

they were just searching for the 'god' particle (Higgs Bosun), the way they were talking on the BBC

programme it seemed that it would take to long to get the LHC back to the condition it needs to be

to create the 'Big Bang' environment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

They wont be colliding anything on wednesday....What they are trying to achieve on the 1st run is to fire a beam of protons successfully all the way around the 'race track ' in one direction...

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

I have skimmed through this thread and heard bits and pieces on the News etc. Am I correct in assuming that this experiment is intended to prove the Big Bang theory?

If it is and it doesn't, what will be the effect on those who adhere to the BB theory? Will they all suddenly be looking for a replacement theory? May they have to admit that they were wrong?

:(

Posted

I can honestly say I am not fully conversant with all the in and outs of this experiment, but have just stumbled across this article where Professor Stephen Hawking said the £2.4bn machine is "vital if the human race is not to stultify and eventually die out."

He also states "The world will not come to an end when the LHC turns on"

Thats good enough for me!

Posted
I have skimmed through this thread and heard bits and pieces on the News etc. Am I correct in assuming that this experiment is intended to prove the Big Bang theory?

If it is and it doesn't, what will be the effect on those who adhere to the BB theory? Will they all suddenly be looking for a replacement theory? May they have to admit that they were wrong?

:)

Hi Noggin, the LHC can't prove the Big Bang theory, however the experiments are all based on the premise that the Big Bang happened. Using the LHC, scientists will study how the universe developed just after the Big Bang (billionths of a second). The evidence they find will either support the current standard models for particle physics, or refute it.

The LHC will prove the existence or otherwise of so the called 'God Particle' - the Higgs Boson - which is key for continued support of the standard model.

As you point out, if the Higgs Boson is not found, then particle physics does indeed stand at a new dawn.

Either way. the LHC will probably provide the most important discoveries since Rutherford split the atom.

ffO.

Posted

The continuation of the standard model is not a big issue. We know it's wrong and have known for some time. It's just the best model at the moment. If the Higgs Boson is not found, it poses more issues for all the multitude of extensions to the standard model which happen to rely upon the existence of this particle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I find it funny that the media are catching onto this with domesday scenarios etc. In reality yes a few particles may be trasnported through black holes and some lost but there is no consequence to the Earth. I think this is a really interesting experiment! Hopefully in a few years we will fully understand the workings of the big bang.

Posted

Haven't managed to read all the way back through the posts, but the domesday scenarios are way out of line. The speeds/energies that particles in the LHC will manage are exceeded every day by millions and millions of cosmic rays that bombard the Earth's atmosphere, and those in the LHC will be contained in a magnetic field and are very, very unlikely to escape and wreak damage on the planet. The same is true for any miniature black holes, which will exist only for billionths of seconds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
well if this are last few hrs,

goodnight and good luck

Yes its been a good life really cookie, probably wont end the world, but the global pole-shift will ruin the Internet, it'll run back to front :rolleyes:

Just in case it does not work out, sleep tight everybody and remember death is just like before you/we were born... :o :doh:

Regards,

Russ

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Yes its been a good life really cookie, probably wont end the world, but the global pole-shift will ruin the Internet, it'll run back to front :rolleyes:

Just in case it does not work out, sleep tight everybody and remember death is just like before you/we were born... :D:doh:

Regards,

Russ

and dont forget if this experiment goes wrong, we can blame it on global warming.... :o

Posted

I'm not seriously worried, but one or two scientists have expressed alarm about this experiment. I heard a suggestion that it could lead to the creation of a black hole inside the earth that would gradually consume the earth and reach the surface in "fifty months" (I am just quoting this) and then the earth would be turned "inside out."

Well, it will stop raining at least. :rolleyes::doh: :o

Posted
I'm not seriously worried, but one or two scientists have expressed alarm about this experiment. I heard a suggestion that it could lead to the creation of a black hole inside the earth that would gradually consume the earth and reach the surface in "fifty months" (I am just quoting this) and then the earth would be turned "inside out."

Well, it will stop raining at least. :doh: :o :D

Fat chance Roger!....we could have the largest black hole in the universe....get transformed into strange matter, we could cease to exist!.....and yet it would still absolutley pour down with rain here in the West Midlands :rolleyes:

Posted

The big switch on is live on BBC breakfast in 3 minutes time.