Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Ea & Se England

jam1

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

This looks promising, I wish I understood the words better.

http://www.teleweer.nl/portal2.asp?url=/we...ten/buienradar/

Posted

It's a bit of a double edged sword with this low coming up from France and its assocaited milder sector, this is likely to bring some heavy snow and so its risky because it could to rain or sleet in the far se later, equally we're still not sure of what exactly will happen to that mild sector. I think it might be worth the risk, theres not too many opportunities to see 10cm+ in central London! :)

Posted

im from sittingbourne kent and its very cloudy here and the sky is looking very dark. My main concern is we have been here many times before and we get very dissapointed when it all goes wrong. After this spell of snow/rain coming in from the east at the mo there is very little else showing up.Dutch and German raders confirm this. Bbc news show a spell of snow over london this evening but its mostly north london. Alex decon has just said not much snow today a sprinkling and up too 5cm tonight. tommorrow is looking very good and tommorrow evening even better a further 10-15cm alexs words not mine lol!!!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

The radar does tend to drop in detail as the precipation heads towards the uk , but thats ok its then you need to turn to the uk radar :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
im from sittingbourne kent and its very cloudy here and the sky is looking very dark. My main concern is we have been here many times before and we get very dissapointed when it all goes wrong. After this spell of snow/rain coming in from the east at the mo there is very little else showing up.Dutch and German raders confirm this. Bbc news show a spell of snow over london this evening but its mostly north london. Alex decon has just said not much snow today a sprinkling and up too 5cm tonight. tommorrow is looking very good and tommorrow evening even better a further 10-15cm alexs words not mine lol!!!

I think there will be some convective Snow showing up this afternoon as the unstable air crosses the North Sea. Already seeing grains here in Gravesend.

Edited by Shunter

Posted
Hi, TEITS - how do you think we'll do in Cambridgeshire today and tomorrow. I'm in the west of the county, so often too far west to catch anything through easterlies (which is ironic as I'm in East Anglia). My sister's in Peterborough and is hoping for a snowy birthday on Tuesday.

Rather well.

At the moment the reports of snow are patchy outbreaks of snow ahead of the cold front. Now this cold front which is clearly apparant on the radar is expected to move in shortly especially Norfolk. Now this should bring outbreaks of mainly light snow which could give a dusting. Looking at the radar I would say Norfolk,Cambs,Lincs is going to benefit most from this cold front as the precip of the S side of the front seems fragmented.

Once this cold front clears the really cold upper temps begin to spread in and so will the snow showers. These will become more widespread, frequent and heavier especially this evening onwards.

Posted

Snowing here by the coast now, no covering yet but looks promising.

Posted

Morning all,

Just been to get the papers here in Folkestone and noticed a few flakes falling down. Think that this could be a brilliant week!!!

Posted

No one but the Dutch understand Dutch :)

That's their expected run, so I'll be happy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

First post here on NW and a great way to start!

Having lived through many of the major events of the 70's (just) :) , 80's and 90's today and tomorrow look equally exciting.

North Kent always seems to do well in these situations and I have my fingers crossed for tonight and tomorrow.

Remember for Kent the fun really starts tonight so anything before is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

The wind is certainly lazy here today reminds me the winters of yesteryear.

Anyway enough ramblings. Weather here is overcast, windy and dry. I would expect the first flurries to arrive before lunch.

Also like to thanks Steve M, TEITS and the like for such an amazing ride over the last week. Your enthusiasm and knowledge has been exceptional and is really helpful to someone like myself who is just learning the physics and dynamics of our exceptionally diverse weather!! :)

Edit......Lunch has come early. My wife casually came over to me and said 'Oh by the way...It's snowing!!!!'

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!

James

Edited by JamesL

Posted

More better developments overnight i think.

I must say that the BBC have had the similar forecasats since last night so thats making me confident and sky news/met office have similar forecasts.

Snow showers in the morning and then heavy snow during afternoon/evening rush hour.

Some schools may have to close early because it looks like hitting here just after mid-day?

And gritters have not been out around here,leaving it late if there are any snow showers?

Posted
More better developments overnight i think.

I must say that the BBC have had the similar forecasats since last night so thats making me confident and sky news/met office have similar forecasts.

Snow showers in the morning and then heavy snow during afternoon/evening rush hour.

Some schools may have to close early because it looks like hitting here just after mid-day?

And gritters have not been out around here,leaving it late if there are any snow showers?

This reminds me of 2nd March 2005. We had continuous snow all day, 15cm where i live but 30cm on the Downs in the drifts, the buses stopped running and we were stranded at school! Hope we do close early tomorrow, because I have an exam in the afternoon :)

Posted
Quick question but does anyone here have a capture card in their PC.

I wouild love to save the countryfile forecast on my HDD and possibly post on youtube. If so then please PM me so I can arrange you sending me the file via email. :)

Hi Dave

I have one but never used it to record only to watch TV. I will give it a go but no promises. What time is it on today?

Been snowing here since 8:15, v light aft first, but more moderately in the last 10 mins, looking good!

Welcome James L-

Get in there.... Just seen my first official Easterly snow flake @ 9:16 am..... Perfect timing also from my first curtain twich of the day... :)

S

Posted

If it turns out to be how the Beeb are showing on their graphics then much of the SE will come to a standstill! If the snow continues throughout then I honestly think some low lying places could get 15cm+, but then there's always the chance that the snow/rain boundary could be much further west, meaning when the heaviest precip arrives it could be rain, limiting the accumulations to ~5cm.

Posted
It's a bit of a double edged sword with this low coming up from France and its assocaited milder sector, this is likely to bring some heavy snow and so its risky because it could to rain or sleet in the far se later, equally we're still not sure of what exactly will happen to that mild sector. I think it might be worth the risk, theres not too many opportunities to see 10cm+ in central London! :)

Do you really think it will be cold enough for snow to actually settle in Central London, it's a very rare event because it's always 1C or 2C degrees warmer in large cities like London? I think the general air temp would have to be below zero for snow to lie in London and I don't expect it will that cold during the next 36 hours!

Posted

Turned onto a snow shower here now, small flakes, but quite heavy! Sky to the east looks full of snow.

Incidentally, I suspect we'll run into the usual radar quality problems over East Anglia, so if it looks like the snow is dying out on the radar, don't get downhearted, as its more than likely its down to poor radar coverage. It really is time this issue got fixed. :)